What did you use your flashlight for today?

edc3

Enlightened
Yesterday I used my new Clicky to illuminate a hollow log to check for rattlesnakes before grabbing a geocache. :thumbsup:

etherealshade

Enlightened
The other half is out of town on business this week, so mostly wandering around the house pretending there isn't any power.

Xacto

Enlightened
When unloading our 12 month old son out of his car seat, I heard something falling to the ground, yet could not find anything - even later when we went to for lunch and moved the car. Later the day we again parked on the same spot, this time I remembered to grab my SF6P with Wolf Eyes Dropin and check the content of the sewer (grid type) of the curbstone beneath us - and - saw what fell down there earlier the day. It was the lid of one of our feeding bottles. Since my wife was standing next to me, she now has no other choice but to accept that carrying a flashlight on a bright sunny day in Freiburg, southern germany, has its justification. Otherwise we would still be looking for that lid - now we know were it is :D

Cheers
Thorsten

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee, your story of the cows was very fun. I can just imagine you guys surrounded by cows. Now you need to get some serious strike bezels haha.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I helped my Polish neighbors chainsaw part of a fallen tree.

One guy was sawing, the other was holding some sort of tool/battery combo system, and if that was all of 50 lumens I'd be shocked.

I walked over, and the one not sawing thought I was coming over to start something [an altercation]. I waved my hand back/forth in unison with my head, I turn on my MG P-Rocket neutral-white, ramp up to high, and then he understood.

It was worth it to be bitten by mosquitoes for about ten minutes knowing I helped out, because operating a chainsaw at night with no light [sure the moon is out] is just... come on

Now if only I would have popped some earplugs in before I went over to help...

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any thoughts on the uneven wear?

Modern vehicles have EBD, electronic brake force distribution.
Basically that means that proportioning changes in response to actual traction, maximizing brake system potential.
A side effect for people who do not drive very hard is quicker rear brake wear.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my Fenix LD20 to check for leaks in a piping network (N.P.T. fittings) that I built in for the backyard water system.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I walked over, and the one not sawing thought I was coming over to start something [an altercation]. I waved my hand back/forth in unison with my head, I turn on my MG P-Rocket neutral-white, ramp up to high, and then he understood.

It was worth it to be bitten by mosquitoes for about ten minutes knowing I helped out, because operating a chainsaw at night with no light [sure the moon is out] is just... come on

Running a chainsaw at night when neighbors are home, trying to relax a bit after a hard day's work . . . Those guys knew they were being obnoxious. No wonder one of them thought you were out to confront them.

At the very least, you made sure those two guys finished up sooner than they otherwise would have.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was at a motorcycle rally when some guys turned up fairly late at night, it was dark so they used a vehicle headlight to give them some light to set up the tent. So I wondered over and fired up one of my flashlights (Mag 2D with ROP bulb) to help them see. A vehicle headlight is all well and good, but when the tent you are setting up casts a shadow on the side you are on then you are in the dark again. It is good to be able to help out other people.

Last night I used one of my Mag hotwires to take out the garbage & recycling - the light helped me to avoid stepping on a snail (I was barefoot) which both the snail & I were grateful for.

m3flies

Banned
While clearing trees off of some power lines, I used my HDS 170t to light up the area where a co-worker was doing the cutting with a pole saw, while the winch cable on my truck was holding the tree to keep it from crashing down on the wires below. The rain was blowing sideways. Had the light gripped in a filthy soaking wet glove. And I thought to myself, this is why I bought an Ra, you just know it won't fail a test like this.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the very least, you made sure those two guys finished up sooner than they otherwise would have.

Standing there, I remembered, The Miss Universe show is ON!.
I kept thinking to myself, 'cut faster, cut faster'

jankj

Enlightened
What seemed strange to me is that the front and rear brake pads (all disc brakes) are about the same original thickness, and the same material (ceramic), but wore differently. The rear pads were nearly gone, and, like I say, the front pads were 45-50% original thickness. Which is strange, as the rule of thumb, from what I understand, is that the front brakes on most vehicles do 75-80% of your braking...

For brake pads to work correctly they must at all times "float" and move freely, with little force.

The rear brake pads tend to get stuck in the "brake ever so slightly" position and stay there. Add some dirt and grime to the equation and after a while it takes a bit of force to break them free. If you brake HARD they will get unstuck and move freely on the guiding pins, like they're supposed to. If you drive gently all the time, very little force is applied and they stay in the "brake ever so slightly position" and wear out.

The front pads receive the brunt of the braking power and almost never get stuck - or rather, when they do, they break free at the next red light.

Disc brakes are designed for HARD use and to deal with lots and lots of heat generated by braking. Good for sport cars. Not so good for the rear wheel of a family car being gently driven. A classical example of marketing having bad influence over engineering - "disc brakes all the way" sounds good, doesn't it? Old fashioned drum brakes are a much better choice for the rear wheel of a family car.

Last edited:

bcv001

Newly Enlightened
47 quark 123 with clip

walked my dog about 30min !
this is my EDC light !

andyw513

Enlightened
I used my Solarforce L2 and LED Lenser 3/AAA headlamp to repair an air compressor motor at work the last couple days.

Illum

Flashaholic
using a strobe to try to look at a speaker driven at 100KHz...didn't work and twice as annoying as just the strobe or just the speaker whine

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Gave away a couple of Streamlight Stylus Pro models to my best friend and his wife. Used my own SL Stylus Pro to demonstrate to them how the lights work. It's not a sophisticated model. But it's perfect for non-flashaholics. Inexpensive, good quality, plenty bright for their needs, decent clip, decent belt pouch, and a simple UI.

I replaced the alkies that come standard with this model with lithium AAA cells. (Made sure to tell them that.) Should last them for years with no fear of leakage.

They loved the little gifts.

nbp

Flashaholic
I used my Ra twisty for something but I don't know what. :shrug:

What I mean is: I went to get it from my nightstand, and it wasn't there. :thinking:

On the floor? No. Ah, here it is, on the bed sort of under my pillow. And it's on in the low mode. :thinking:

What the heck? I'm pretty sure I turned it off and placed it on the nightstand last night, as I remember looking at the glowing glo-ring I just put under the lens. And I don't recall getting up at all. But the Best I can guess is that I got up in the night and just have no recollection of and didn't turn it off before falling back asleep. Weird. :crazy:

Sotone

Newly Enlightened
I used my Lummi Wee NS to look down the valve tubes of a French horn to see if the valves were aligned with the ports.
Cheers,
Steve