What did you use your flashlight for today?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
We visited the First Division Museum at Cantigny today (1st Infantry Division, aka "the Big Red One").

I used a Leatherman LGX-200 (Fenix L1T v2 clone) flashlight on the low setting to illuminate details of the exhibits which were too dimly lit to view otherwise.

tolkaze

Enlightened
We live in an set of three units, we are down the back so there is a driveway going to the back of the block where all the cars are parked. The driveway is the only way in or out unless you jump the 8ft fence at the back. My car is parked no more than 2ft from my bedroom window. At 2:45am I hear some clicks and scrapes, i thought they were my pet rats, but the noises were definitely coming from outside. The moon was bright, so I could see a little, but couldn't figure out what what was going on, so I grab a light (possibly a 6P LED) and shine it outside. There is a length of garden hose sticking out of my fuel filler cap. I jumped the bed like an old cop show detective jumps the hood of a car, grab my P-Rocket on the way out and head right... I hear footsteps going down the driveway. I missed them because I went the wrong way.

If I hadn't shone the light through the window before heading out, or turned left instead of right, there would be a very dazed and confused fuel thief getting the crap kicked out of them. Instead, I have a missing fuel filler cap, and 2L less fuel.

The facts - Thief:
1.) They were stupid enough to steal fuel from the car closest to the windows of the units
2.) They chose the car with little or no fuel to steal
3.) the fuel they stole was E10 (cheap, full of ethanol)
4.) they gave themselves away by coughing when they started siphoning
5.) they potentially gave themselves no escape route

The Facts - Me:
1.) I made the mistake of letting them know I was there
2.) I turned towards the car instead of chasing them down
3.) I really should have grabbed the maglight with the TLE-300M dropin, or the malkoff MD2 with M60 for some throw, as the P-rocket doesn't have a whole lot of reach
4.) the p-rocket is plenty bright for flood lighting the backyard, but really want more throw, so maybe I should have used a different light.

I didn't catch them, but as I said, they only got a tiny bit of crappy fuel. I didn't call the cops, because you would get a better response from the Salvation Army! I got the hose they were using, and it is now residing in my bin.

tl;dr: Some guy stole fuel from my car, i didn't catch them in time, the MG P-Rocket is a decent torch, but needs more throw.

andyw513

Enlightened
I used my Ra twisty for something but I don't know what. :shrug:

What I mean is: I went to get it from my nightstand, and it wasn't there. :thinking:

On the floor? No. Ah, here it is, on the bed sort of under my pillow. And it's on in the low mode. :thinking:

What the heck? I'm pretty sure I turned it off and placed it on the nightstand last night, as I remember looking at the glowing glo-ring I just put under the lens. And I don't recall getting up at all. But the Best I can guess is that I got up in the night and just have no recollection of and didn't turn it off before falling back asleep. Weird. :crazy:

I do that stuff all the time now, so don't feel alone...

My first night back at college came after working day shift at the mines. I had my TK40 in my laundry bag, and didn't check it after moving it into the dorm. Fast forward 24 hours and I was on my way back home -in the dark- and as I got out of my car to walk into my house, my prized and beloved TK40 was dead as yesterday.

Working an evening shift, then a day shift, then an evening shift, then a day of classes kinda leaves you foggy, and it was only the night after this I remembered I had turned it on to show my roommate how bright it was, but forgot to turn it off! Luckily, my L2 helped me find the way from the garage to the house...

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight: 4Sevens' Preon 2 Ti.
Use: Lighting up the trash room in my apartment building(8th floor.) There are motion sensing lights in there,but they are usually in the off position.(not lighting up when you walk in.) Very dumb idea.
(I wish my apartment manager was a CPF member..) Thank god for trash chutes.Just open the door,and dump the trash-filled bag in...no more stink.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okeydokey, this weekend four of us decided to investigate some WWII Sentry posts and pill-boxes near the sea on some scrubby marshland near our weekend retreat. We were going to do it during the day, but an extended body surfing session followed by supper put paid to that. Also the allure of finding these relics by torchlight/flashlight was irresistible.

So off we set at around ten PM. armed with a Fenixes HL1, LD20, L2T(Q3), TA21 and a Tiablo TL1. Of course, being a Flashaholic, I had several backups and batteries in my jacket pockets. All along with an Ordnance Survey map of the area.

We found the path to the field where the artefacts lay, but it was barred by a locked gate, which we climbed over.

Now here's the thing. These torches were great at illuminating the ground all around us for a considerable distance - 50 - 100 feet of clear navigation all around. But this field was big - most fields are much bigger than that radius after all - and it had hillocks and dykes, which of course we couldn't see over.

About a hundred yards in we found our first cow-pat (dung) and stepped over it. That should have told us something...Cows make pats...where were the cows in this empty field at night.

Then we passed a circular construction made of metal and filled with hay - about seven to eight feet across - it loomed up on us as the extreme distance torchlight illuminated it at first in the gloom. Like your first sight of a floating mine in the fog in one of those WWII movies starring Jack Hawkins or Bernard Lee. A cow feeder of course - still we continued on our dark path.

I suppose subconsciously, I thought the cows were probably asleep in some farmer's sheds - it was past eleven by now after all.Then we saw a lone brick building far away - it looked like a military type and all thoughts of cattle faded as we tramped across the, now I come to think about it, well trodden ground all around us to this architectural oddbod with all due speed.

Old and abandoned, with more holes than roof, a privy at the end and a raised concrete platform on one side, this dwelling stood proud from the mud and dung surrounding it. No idea what it was, probably never will either. There was no vegetation near it, just the bare, hoof marked and churned dry mud...

Took a few pics inside and out before moving on. Just then one of us saw something in the light of his TL1 - a pair of eyes, then another, then several, then more than we could count. There were lots of them - a large bank of orange glowing eyes about seventy feet across the field. About forty pairs of eyes in all, all about four and a half feet off the ground. There was the silence of mutual rumination, for the cattle, literal.

Now we are city folk through and through. True we have been to the country, but as far as we knew, all you had to be careful of was to close the gates after you, and since we didn't open one at all, we were OK?

The cows decided they were interested and started to move towards us with low moaning and mooing and gurgling that in other circumstances would have been a pleasant and almost soporific sound. Trouble is they each weighed 800-1000 kilos and we didn't know our cows from our Bulls! Some of them, most of them had horns on - I didn't know that still happened.

Here you go then, twenty-first century Man, with some high tech illumination devices, mobile phones, etc. confronted with a herd of large, inquisitive and possibly hungry bovines. I know who I'd put my money on!

Retreat seemed to be the order of the day, but they decided to join us for the trip. Walking, we knew, would be better than running. We had all seen Rawhide or even Lion King. So we slowly but hysterically walked as lightly as we could back to the brick shack, now we supposed, a safe haven. Just as we decided to go there, a good two thirds of the cattle started running before us and circled it, coming round the back. You know what, the sound of lots of beef running at close quarters is a little unsettling, but not as loud as you might think.

We reached the shack, cattle in our way was inclined to move out of our path once you shone the torch in its eyes. Score one for torches! It was at this time that I realised none of the 'Cows' had udders. Steers or bullocks then - hopefully not young bulls!

Once inside our refuge we took stock. We had lots of torches, a couple of asthma pumps, mobile phones with little signal, and no idea how to deal with cows in a field at night. I considered the merits of overloading an unprotected Lithium Ion cell and chucking it at them. BTW at this stage the Tiablo TL1 decided to show us that absolute regulation is never a good thing. It went out, completely and without warning! Thank god we had the Fenixes. ( a spare LD20 was issued and gratefully received. I slung a new cell into the TL1 and it fired up again so now I had one torch in each hand. That felt better.

The cattle were obviously perplexed by our uncommon behaviour. They stopped an waited outside, wondering what to do next. It became very still. Thoughts turned to what would happen if they came inside, there being no door! We could always climb up to the green and mouldy rafters? I think not!

All the impetus we needed was when one cow decided to try and come in. I shouted at it in a manly way and gave it the full force of the TA21 and the TL1. Shouting helped me, because it was loud and definitive and also because that was exactly how Clint Eastwood used to deal with an unruly steer. But then he was on a horse and could outrun the bull if they decided to cut up rough! So with shouts of 'AWAY! BACK OFF! DO PLEASE GO AWAY I BESEECH YOU!' which, strangely I shouted with the accent of a Yorkshire farmer, we proceeded back on our extended path slowly and carefully to the gate. It probably took only a few minutes, but felt like we would never get there, so slow and vivid was our progress.

All the time the cattle would run in bursts past us to stop and lower their heads right in front - only to be warded away by the bright lights and the shouts. When the gate was in sight all the cattle suddenly took heel and stampeded! There was no way we could run as fast as they. Luckily they ran away from us and by the time we climbed the gate as one, they were right across the field.

In some ways their behaviour was like playful puppies, the curiosity, the playful running and rearing and challenging. Much like a dog with a stick. But when you're being chased by several tonnes of meat, the playfulness kinda leaves you cold. Especially when the playing might include things like ramming and tossing and trampling, all in the name of fun.

The Fenixes performed very well indeed. Not one of them needing a fresh set of batteries for the whole 2 and a half hour walk. But the Tiablo will forever be consigned to the drawer of unused torches from now on.

We never did see the pill boxes, nor did we care. And the next day celebrated surviving our stupidity by having burgers galore for supper, eating cattle is much more to my taste than dancing with them. And I, for one, will never venture into a dark field again with a light heart.

Thank God for streets, buildings and buses - and all the polluting smells and sounds of the city!

Yes I know I'm a Wuss! Wussaholics unite.

Moo!

The last time them cows saw a light that bright one of their kind was sacrificed for an alien science experiment!

We share a common religion, I too am a "Devote Coward!"

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used an Energizer 1AA Cree flashlight to illuminate an earwig (insect) inside a dark hall before I squashed it. :eek:

bbb74

Enlightened
I have a story of what I used my lights for tonight ... and what happened to somebody else who didn't have good lights ... and paid the price.

Cycling home, had my ld20 r4 mounted on my handlebars and a quark aa2 r5 turbo on my helmet. I can't "outrun" the light from those, its a good combo. So I'm cycling along a particularly dark (no street/house lights) section of my commute, through an area of bush and parkland, and there are a few bends in the path. My lights are really at their best in the dark like that, its very fun you feel like a truck or something powering through the dark. Anyway there is a section where the path curves downhill to a bridge across a creek before climbing back up again, its very easy to do 40kmh or so through that part as the path is smooth and downhill. I'm about 100 meters from the bridge (its out of sight around the bend) and I hear a very loud bang and several clangs of metal impacting on metal. I get around the bend and 30 meters in front of me is a cyclist, and a bicycle with idly spinning wheels totally entangled in the bridge's safety railings which are made out of 2 levels of tubular steel piping.

The killer is, the railings are bent over horizontally, and lying on the bridge surface...

The railings are designed to rotate 90 degrees so during a flood they don't catch a mountain of debris that destroys the bridge and/or railings. Some idiot had somehow pushed one of the railings over so it was lying on the bridge. This guy had plowed right into them (he later said he never even saw them). He was very, very lucky not to break something or be severely injured, or go over the side into the water unconscious. He was very shaken, and he'd blown his front tyre and I suspect his bike will have other damage as well.

His bike lights weren't particularly great, at least not good enough to fully check out the bridge as you're coming around the distant bend before you turn onto it.

So anyway, he said he'd be ok and limped off after spending a while lying on the ground in shock and then getting up (very shaken) and I carried on with my 400 lumens...

scooterhead9996

Newly Enlightened
We recently got a delivery of torches at work from a certain HK distributer, the workplace is now often disturbed when an "attack" is launched by any given torch owner by them firing up on strobe mode, one must then grab the hopefully close weapon to return fire ( i have started carrying mine around all day now !) Any complaints from non-owning staff are met with multiple source strobe attacks from torch toting staff :)

Xacto

Enlightened
We recently got a delivery of torches at work from a certain HK distributer, the workplace is now often disturbed when an "attack" is launched by any given torch owner by them firing up on strobe mode, one must then grab the hopefully close weapon to return fire ( i have started carrying mine around all day now !) Any complaints from non-owning staff are met with multiple source strobe attacks from torch toting staff :)

:twothumbs:laughing::crackup:
Now someone please stand up and say that strobe is useless. :crackup:

On a serious note - you could become a CPF - Strobe Testgroup.

Cheers
Thorsten

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
We share a common religion, I too am a "Devote Coward!"

Where do I sign up?

As long as I don't have to moo-ve!!!:tinfoil:

BTW - yesterday I investigated a noise in our backyard at midnight with my Peak Logan - wow, it's bright. Absolutely certain no one was in the yard though!

What a scorcher! ( Mind you, If I had had another of my EDC's in my pocket, I probably would have thought the same - M61 is just as bright...) :whistle:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I used three Peaks whilst standing near fields and hedges in the middle of the night in Norfolk, recording the sounds of Owls, grasshoppers and muntjac deer.

A Brass 1 led Matterhorn low level for close examination of kit etc ( at least until my eyes got used to seeing by starlight - it was a moonless night ). Then alternating between a green Carribean Hi power, and a Logan level 8 - used to warn fast moving country lane cars that we were potential hazards in the roads at this late hour.

In case you think I am mad - I was with three colleagues, all of us standing in the dark in silence with lots of microphones. They liked the green Carribean and dubbed it my 'lightsabre'.

Even though we stood there using thousands of pounds of kit, from recorders to parabolic microphones, none of them thought they would consider buying a torch at the price of these Peaks. In fact only one person apart from me had any kind of illumination - a £3.99 cheapy led - OK for close, but no good for any emergencies like oncoming traffic.

Oh well, the deer freaked me out anyway. I think I may have a problem with wildlife in the dark!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shined my Fenix LD20 down into a fence post hole in the ground to see how deep it was and if I needed to make it deeper.

4D223

Newly Enlightened
Early this evening used my Lumapower lm31 to check inside kitchen cupboards in house I am repairing (Im a maintenance contractor) and my Makita 18volt torch (modded with 50 w 12V down light, seriously overdriven but insanely bright) to check all of the exterior of this vacant house. The previous tenants took all the light globes when they left so I got to use my torchs. :thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Used my ever-ready LF2XT to peer into a overhead pipe chase to try to locate a poorly tossed locker key at the YMCA this morning. The light was up to the task, but the key wasn't found. Too many pipes up there blocking the view. I'll try an inspection mirror and magnet on Friday if it's still AWOL.

Geoff

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I used my C2 to look up in my attic just a few minutes ago.

I acquired some free Certainteed R-19 insulation yesterday from a relative. They had rolls of it laying around that they weren't using. So they gave it to me. :)

When I got back home today, I climbed up in my attic (with my SF in tow) to see where I should lay it out...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Used my large 4D Energizer lantern while making a sandwich at 2am without having to turn on the kitchen lights. I'm a night-owl, and didn't want to disturb a loved one.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shined a Fenix LD-05 pen light to illuminate a defective light fixture while an electrician repaired it.

He EDCs an old style incan Mini Maglite so I asked him whether he considered buying a newer flashlight. The electrician said he liked his Mini Maglite belt holster and couldn't find a more modern light that fit it.

I surprised him with a gift of an old Mini Maglite I had modified with a Nite-Ize LED module. It fit his holster and he was delighted. He then charged me half his normal fee for the service call. :)