What did you use your flashlight for today?

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
One would think. Perhaps the coal was exhausted by the time it was converted to silica mining.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back then they used to send canarys into the shaft. If it lived it was safe to enter they thought.
Ever heard the saying "canary in a coal mine"?

Yeah, at some point after some explosions folks decided actylene helmet lights weren't such a great idea.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20180311_100138.jpg

Using a Yuji'd minimag fed by the supplied Dura-leaks to perform a runtime/dimming test in a completely subjective, analog method where I stand in the position I took the photo from and conclude if it's dimming yet.

An hour into the test no dimming has been noted. Now with a light bulb the tint would've likely become a distinctly warmer color.

IMG_20180312_094330.jpg

Next day pic

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL H600fc and ZL H51fw were used to play tag in my darkened basement with my kid and I. Good evening activity to get him a little more tired for bed.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Today I was working in a closed building. At one point I needed to use the restroom, and that's when I discovered that the lights in the restroom are controlled from some central location rather than a light switch or an occupancy sensor in the room. Of course the lights were turned off. My PD35 came to the rescue so I didn't have to do my business in complete darkness!

Torky455

Newly Enlightened
Last night the power went out (finally! lol). The thing that made me chuckle, was the fact that I was working on little project, and already had my H52W on my head. :thumbsup: The rest of the night was illuminated by my NW M43 Meteor throwing a couple thousand lumens at the ceiling. Twas a good night!

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Today I went to a server room in a building where there was a utility power outage in progress. Equipment was up on the 12th floor, running on generators. All the lights (and elevators) elsewhere in the building were off. Thanks to the Atom AAF (reflector model) that I always carry in my laptop bag, the hike upstairs and through winding hallways was well lit. Once I got into the room, having that flashlight on hand made the inspection of the equipment much easier than it would otherwise have been.

Richub

Enlightened
What? No flashlight use in nearly three weeks? Amazing... ;)

Used my Astrolux S41 to help a neighbor fix his bicycle in a dark shed without power. He was really grateful as he had no flashlight, and he had to go to work in an hour. :)
I guess he'll be buying a flashlight real soon.

My Nitecore Tip CRI sees daily use when and where I need light. I love this little light with it's floody 5000K high CRI beam. Same goes for the S41.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
We bought a house recently (woohoo!) and I've been using my Emisar D4vn for random tasks including finding water shutoff valves, going into the garage at night without needing to turn on the lights, walking to and from the car when the lights are off, getting ready for bed when my wife is already asleep, etc. It has come in very handy many times.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What? No flashlight use in nearly three weeks? Amazing... ;)

Used my Astrolux S41 to help a neighbor fix his bicycle in a dark shed without power. He was really grateful as he had no flashlight, and he had to go to work in an hour. :)
I guess he'll be buying a flashlight real soon.

My Nitecore Tip CRI sees daily use when and where I need light. I love this little light with it's floody 5000K high CRI beam. Same goes for the S41.

Rich, can you remind me what the light is in your avatar?
I know I know it, but it won't come to the surface.
Thanks
P

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rich, can you remind me what the light is in your avatar?
I know I know it, but it won't come to the surface.
Thanks
P

Hope Rich doesn't mind me answering this, but it looks like the Fenix TK45, my first nice light! I'll always have a soft spot for the TK45. :)

YAK-28

Enlightened
bought an olight x7 and 4 effest 20a imr's (batteries installed today), once i fired it up in the basement i was just giggling. can't wait to get this outside and light up neighborhood park.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So, what good is a flashlight outdoors in the daytime?

Recently I was reassigned to a bridge project next to a busy highway that has gotten in trouble with some government agencies whose role is to protect projects like these from dumping mud, oils, trash etc into nearby streams.

IMG_20180505_085003.jpg

To the left is one such channel.

So I get there and after a few days see that in general things look ok. The basic protections were all in place and the personnel seemed to have a grasp on how to protect said channel. My job is not unlike a mall cop who rides around the parking lot watching for purse snatchers or smash n grab thieves, only I'm watching for violations in terms of illegal dumping or chemical spills.

Early in this assignment I noticed an area where rain water run off travels toward a church parking lot. I brought that to everyones attention, but was largely ignored. Eh, another day in the life of an inspector.

This church has some 10,000 members, many of which are wealthy politicians, lawyers and judges. Now these folks leaving church on Sunday are not real happy to walk across the pavement with a gray trail of sediment laiden water coming from the nearby bridge project. Nobody would be, but these folks got loot. And with loot comes power and influence. It sucks but it's reality in 2018.

Like I said, the project was already in trouble with environmental folks anyway. So the contractor has been busy fixing problems that were deemed more important by higher ups. I asked repeatedly what is going to take place to stop the dirt from washing onto that church parking lot. Well Thursday they finally listened.

How can we stop it? Well there is a nearby storm water inlet that has an anti dirt device around it so water builds up and runs away from it. Somebody decided a while ago to grade the area to run towards that parking lot instead. The thinking was the environmentalists will see that armor around that inlet and say "good job".

The question was asked how to run water to the inlet and still have the armor around it, and water drain into the inlet. Another fellow spoke up and said to use the weephole. The weephole is a small hole inside the inlet that allows water underneath the roadway to get into the inlet. Not much water gets under a pavement normally, so nobody ever considers the weephole as a place to drain water to. But where I come from we do it all the time. You dig a hole next to the inlet, place protection in front of that hole and you end up with a small pond below the top of the inlet. The pond causes water to sit. While it sits dirt settles out as it is heavier than water. The water at the top of the pond is clean. So when it builds up enough to run into the top of the inlet, the clean water goes into said inlet instead of that church parking lot. Meanwhile water also seeps slowly into the weephole that has dirt preventing armor around it.

With all that said, yesterday I used my Elzetta Bones to light up the inside of a dark inlet while the sun was directly overhead. Unfortunately I saw no weephole exists. Every drop inlet is supposed to have one. Yet 50 years ago when this inlet was built they hadn't started doing weepholes in drop inlets. We will have to pay somebody to drill one it seems. Now it's up to the customer (a state highway department) if they'd rather pay about a thousand bucks to drill a hole through a concrete wall or wait for some little old lady to slip in the gray mud walking to her car near a rich lawyer who will gladly help her file a big lawsuit against an even richer highway department.

My role as mall cop keeps me out of that situation. But my 33 years as an inspector has shown me that the situation would be easily solved. Yet, after a couple of weeks on the project I've seen that nearly everything that got those folks in trouble with the environmentalists could have been easily solved.

Carrying a flashlight didn't save the day or any of that. But it sure was fun lighting up the inside of that inlet with my Elzetta Bones.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story, bykfixer. Glad you are doing what you're doing. :)

My wife and I bought our first house a couple months ago so I've been using my flashlight for all sorts of random things, mostly involving taking out the trash and related chores, going into the basement, etc. For a while I've been using the Emisar D4vn, but lately I've been back on a Fenix TK09 kick. I'm back to just enjoying the simplicity and reliability of it. It seems that long-term it will remain my favorite light, but you never know what will come along later haha.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
It finally happened to me:

Sitting at friends of ours, having coffee after dinner, when the power goes out, plunging us into instant darkness.

The children let out shrieks from the living room, and the rest of the table is silent.

For about two seconds there is utter darkness, until I get my S1 Mini from my pocket, click it on and place it in the middle of the table for a ceiling bounce.

Of course, the people we were visiting being close friends of ours, they didn't even blink at the fact that I had three lights ready to go within seconds, which dampened my feeling of being the gallant hero a bit. Still, it was a feeling of triumph being prepared to make the power failure a non-event. Conversation continued undisturbed by torchlight for the rest of the evening.

Earlier today I was on the shooting range for a match, and the toilets had no power so was pitch black inside. As usual my S1 Mini was in my pocket, so it was merely a matter of a double click for turbo, place it on the basin counter, and Bob's your mother's brother. I wondered whether some of the other shooters cursed having to do their business in the darkness.

All in all a good day out for the little Olight.

Last edited: