What do you use your "strobe" function for?

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
defend myself in pitch dark, shot light directly into the eyes of the criminal

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great example of a good use.

+1 good use and good idea to switch back to a regular mode after grabbing initial attention.

I just picked up an Eagletac D25A clicky and I like that the strobes are buried from the UI. It also has full power slow flashing and half power slower flashing that I think would be appropriate for changing a flat tire by the road side, and as a bicyclist/pedestrian after dark (respectively). Lastly, as a camper, I could see using a beacon mode too.

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
I use it all the time whenever I go hiking. It's very useful for getting someone's attention far away. If I get a 'where are you?' on my walkie talkie, I cup my hand and strobe my palm while turning it 360 degrees. I usually get a 'ok, I see your light' after. Also, my dog has gotten to the point where he can wander around in the dark and comes straight to me when he sees me strobing the ground.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
Twice in the last six months I used the strobe function on my TA20 when helping at the scene of auto accidents on the highway near our home at night. It takes just under 15 minutes for emergence responders to arrive due to our remote location. This part of the highway has a 65 MPH speed limit so I used the strobe to alert others vehicles to the accident in the dark then switch back to regular mode.

ah-hahhhhh an actual use!

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I've used a strobe a couple times on tactical building searches, but since no one was actually there, I can't fully testify as to its effectiveness. I have also conducted some force-on-force training using strobe and we found it to be more effective than just the bright light when "getting off the X" and maneuvering against an aggressor who is charging you. Of course, the effectiveness depends on a couple things. First, The defender must already have the light in his/her hand and have a plan on what to do with it. This requires training, but just like any martial art or fighting style, isn't impossible to apply in the real world. Second, the light must be able to "instantly" access strobe. Since I value a high-mode (non-strobe) for most of what I do tactically, most lights won't work for this task. The multi-click strobe lights are too complicated and too easy to skip and accidentally activate another mode like 'low'. The bezel twist lights are too slow to activate or remove the strobe function if you need high.

I recently purchased two Klarus lights (XT11 and XT1C). These are the first lights I've used where I can truly see them being used in a reactive tactical situation due to the dual-tailcap switch allowing instant momentary strobe or high mode. Now the question becomes how effective strobe really is, what situations it may work for, and whether it is worth incorporating into the tactical tool-box. I know there are many who say they have heard of no law enforcement officers who have used strobe. Well, most LE are still carrying incandescent Mag and Streamlights, have no training on the use of strobe, and a built-in aversion to change. We have seen this happen with the introduction of ballistic vests, transition from revolvers to semi-auto pistols, ammunition technology, less lethal weaponry, particularly batons, weapon-mounted lights, and lasers. So just because it hasn't been used doesn't mean it doesn't have potential value.

I do not see strobe as a solution to every problem, or even a majority of problems, but it just might be the right tool for 'some' jobs, and I feel it warrants objective study to see if it works. The key is training and testing in a force-on-force environment, using lights designed to do what we need the strobe to do, and then seeing if it works in the real world. So my jury is still out, but I'm looking into it and won't dismiss it yet.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I'm out with the family and crossing the street at night I strobe the ground when crossing the street. In most cases approaching drivers slow down.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a strobe a couple times on tactical building searches, but since no one was actually there, I can't fully testify as to its effectiveness. I have also conducted some force-on-force training using strobe and we found it to be more effective than just the bright light when "getting off the X" and maneuvering against an aggressor who is charging you. Of course, the effectiveness depends on a couple things. First, The defender must already have the light in his/her hand and have a plan on what to do with it. This requires training, but just like any martial art or fighting style, isn't impossible to apply in the real world. Second, the light must be able to "instantly" access strobe. Since I value a high-mode (non-strobe) for most of what I do tactically, most lights won't work for this task. The multi-click strobe lights are too complicated and too easy to skip and accidentally activate another mode like 'low'. The bezel twist lights are too slow to activate or remove the strobe function if you need high.

I recently purchased two Klarus lights (XT11 and XT1C). These are the first lights I've used where I can truly see them being used in a reactive tactical situation due to the dual-tailcap switch allowing instant momentary strobe or high mode. Now the question becomes how effective strobe really is, what situations it may work for, and whether it is worth incorporating into the tactical tool-box. I know there are many who say they have heard of no law enforcement officers who have used strobe. Well, most LE are still carrying incandescent Mag and Streamlights, have no training on the use of strobe, and a built-in aversion to change. We have seen this happen with the introduction of ballistic vests, transition from revolvers to semi-auto pistols, ammunition technology, less lethal weaponry, particularly batons, weapon-mounted lights, and lasers. So just because it hasn't been used doesn't mean it doesn't have potential value.

I do not see strobe as a solution to every problem, or even a majority of problems, but it just might be the right tool for 'some' jobs, and I feel it warrants objective study to see if it works. The key is training and testing in a force-on-force environment, using lights designed to do what we need the strobe to do, and then seeing if it works in the real world. So my jury is still out, but I'm looking into it and won't dismiss it yet.

The key is training to use a 'strobe flashlight'.

Beside the most common use is to signal an accident or caution warning if you need it. But the key for any use is training and the ability to think under stress.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's another thread that describes my using it at the scene of a minor traffic accident this past winter.

Mind you, drivers ignored 200+ lumens shined directly at them but finally paid attention to the strobe feature.

So heck yeah, I like the strobe feature.

Don't know if it actually saved lives but several driver who did not pay attention to the light before I turned on the strobe feature spun on black ice and there was quite a bit of damage.

If there's another incident (and I hope there isn't) I'll use it from the "git-go." I'm now a believer.

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
Be careful not to aim your light or strobe someone right in the eyes when you are trying to warn them of some danger like a traffic accident, it's kind of hard to avoid something when all you can see is spots. A better option might be to aim it at what you are trying to warn them of, like that patch of black ice or the back of your disabled vehicle, this allows them to actually see what you want them to avoid and the less intense reflection of your strobe will get their attention.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful not to aim your light or strobe someone right in the eyes when you are trying to warn them of some danger like a traffic accident, it's kind of hard to avoid something when all you can see is spots. A better option might be to aim it at what you are trying to warn them of, like that patch of black ice or the back of your disabled vehicle, this allows them to actually see what you want them to avoid and the less intense reflection of your strobe will get their attention.

Yes!

Never use a strobe in someone's eyes for their attention.

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
A fast strobe such as Inova's will cause a duck to freeze while you walk up and touch it. While people and actual wildlife seem to cope with a strobe better, it does make depth perception difficult. As long as you walk in a strait line the ducks apparently can't tell if your getting closer. So perhaps some survival hunting use.

Magic socks

Newly Enlightened
Yes on my MTB riding on road to woods. Would like the slow speed of flash down but don't have the skills or knowledge. :D

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ill set a light on strobe on the road next to my semi where I am working if I am on the shoulder where I even think I might get hit. If I have to use the road side of the truck to get to where the problem is, ill also keep it flashing at the ground while I head back there. I have noticed a significant difference in the people that move over when its on vs when its not.

Ill strobe a sec or two if I am walking toward a truckstop, or rest facility and there are trucks coming through where I am at. Otherwise I just leave the normal light on enough to see by.

Also set up assorted lights with different filters on them on strobe for halloween.

For something that takes no space, requires no extra effort, sorry, I don't consider a few clicks or twists effort, its a handy little tool to have when needed.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it all depends on the speed of the strobe, because a real slow one doesn't seem as useful to me, a slow strobe would be like having a really slow abs; you could do it yourself. While a fast strobe, such as on the Crelant 7g5 v2 freaks you out more.
On the contrary. With a fast strobe, like most flashlights use, your pupils don´t really have to adjust. The frequency is too high and therefor the pupils just see a flicker in the bright light. You can shine a bright light into someoney eyes with the same effect. It´s just the brightness of the fast strobe that might have an effect, not the strobe itself. If you have a slower strobe (like the one in AW´s softstart switch), the pupils have to constantly adjust from wide to narrow which is definitly more effective and far more annoying to the one being strobed. After all, I consider strobe pure nonsense in regards to self defense or tactical applications. Signaling, that´s OK.

Eric

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I've been told that it cuts through fog or smoke a bit better than constant light. The reflections off the particles in the air are somehow less intense under strobe. I'm not sure I can agree with this from a scientific standpoint. We also don't get all that much fog here at sea level, so I haven't had much opportunity to try it out and decide for myself. I doubt it though.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
from what i've seen of the kids on building sites these days they'd lagh it, wait till your gone and carry on.(on par with daddy confronting the 5 year olds with the dreaded 'WHAT-AV-YU-DUN'.. wooo scarey lol heres a list of the rongs i dun daddy lmao!).

lets face it, the only people freeked by a strobe torch or the paranoid and disturbed of mind..de aliens iz cumin to get you!

i have thought of a one time use though, doing the snazzy 70's acid scene with a fit bird, not much on..camera action rollll...sad but there yu go.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
I've used it to annoy new guys at work. Most of the new guys arrive for summer work or are college students and most of them work nights and they are always asked to work outside in the warehouse. Occasionally I will be asked to work night shifts from 10 till 8, though I sometimes stay until 10am. The warehouse at the back of the supermarket at work is quite large and because the warehouse is not that well-lit and there are always a lot of cardboard cages and other equipment there are quite a few hidey-holes at work and secret entrances. It can also be scary as hell.

Most of the time me or a mate of mine will hide around the warehouse and shine the strobe around the guy. Not at him but sometimes right next or farther away. Then we'll move to a new place and shine again. Sometimes If we're lucky he'll move to a certain part of the warehouse where we can ambush him. If not we'll call it a day and try another ingenious hazing erm sorry
rolleye11.gif
introductory welcome.

Last edited: