What lights do you carry in your car?

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
$_12.JPG

Hi quaileggs, waiting for the experts to chime in, but I wouldn´t want to leave that "bomb" in the car if it gets too hot. 4x18650 is a lot (be sure to have the same batteries, new and from a quality brand, not Ultrafire) and I wouldn´t trust the Ultrafire either (I have them and use them but not a 4 x 18650 for leaving in the car subject to bumps, hits and heat). Best way to go is probably 2xAA and single 18650 lights.

quaileggs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Nightflash, before reading stuff I had no idea about led lights and batteries, still do not much but will be learning more. Had a quick glimpse of posts of some people having batteries In their torch nearly blow their hands off. Bloody scary stuff. Still learning heaps of stuff from this forum, You guys on this forum rock.

I really didn't think it was dangerous having a 4x 18650 sitting in a hot car, perhaps getting knocked or thrashed around was dangerous until you pointed it out.

Will have a look at the ones you suggested, I still value my hands very much.

ven

Flashaholic
Quaileggs-For a car light,maybe a 123 cell light that has a long life or an AA eneloop fed light,that way as they hold their charge(dont leak like alki cells possibly could if not used for long periods).

Just a thought as it may be in glove box for months,come time of need you want to be ready to go.18650 cells last too,just makes sure its locked out and not in very hot conditions........

I have just got a fenix e25 on the way that eats 2xAA its a totally nothing special light,not too good or expensive you may not want to leave,but small enough and bright enough for general use............just an example.....Also if you need cells you should be able to get them at shops/garages easier than other cells(UK anyway,not sure on the easiest to get hold of cells in Australia)but may be worth a thought.

Other options are rechargeable lights,usb so can be charged in your car,the new klarus rs11 for example to name one but depends on how much you want to spend and if its too nice to leave without being used regular.

Safety wise,good protected cells,decent brand light,decent charger,common sense(dont leave on dash in 40oC heat) should be issue free enjoyment.

Other than my so3 in glove box i have put my fenix tk50(2xD cell and use nimh) in boot(trunk)

And will rotate it with the f8 1x18650 cell

quaileggs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Ven, you've got some good ideas too. I have changed my mind about torches so much in the last few days. I don't know how you guys do it, its so hard picking a torch. So many options. If money wasn't a factor I think I would buy almost every torch under the sun and then try them all out.

The Klarus RS11 sounded ideal being a magnetic rechargeable in the car but having scanned the review on this torch you need to be careful with the magnetic charger or you can short out the AC outlet if it came into contact with metal. I'm accident prone so not a good idea for me. I also liked the idea of a separate strobe like, I'm not going out to look for trouble but you never know these days there are idiots driving on the road that do look for trouble. The price tag of around $100 also put me off as its only a torch for the car. Apart from those two downsides it would have been an ideal torch for me.

The Roche F8 is a nice looking torch and good size. Can you put AAA batteries in that one?

quaileggs

Newly Enlightened
A little off topic but I can't seem to find any posts to educate myself on batteries and chargers. Can you guys provide a link?

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Hi again, for AA and AAA batteries its just the eneloops and the respective charger. Well worth having them and forget about Duracells and battery costs in general. The Eneloop charger is a dedicated one You buy with the first pack.
For single 18650´s lights (as long as they are not very hard driven) it´s fine to use also the cheaper brands should You have them. For multiple x 18650 (2,3,4) it´s good to have quality batteries (recognizable by the higher prices they go, $16 or more one) and to use the same brand, charged at the same time. Personally the ones I love most are the flat top Ampmax 3100 mah, very happy with Wolf-Eyes and Cytac too. Generally it´s good to have some different ones too because for a specific light they might be too fat or too long etc. If it mustn´t be I try to avoid all ultrafires/trustyfires/maxifires and so on, lower quality and capacity/reliability all of those have to be handled with more attention and care. I don´t have any top-notch charger, have been using a basic and reliable Cytac 2x18650 for years and got a cheap Trustfire multifunctional charger for different sizes, 123s, 18650 and others that works, never left it unattended when charging (near the PC when I´m working or by the TV for instance).
One universal good light for all situations (also for the car when You need a lot of light or several hours of light) as long as You don´t leave it inside is the 2x18650 TK35 old model. Pricewise I find it interesting to get older/discontinued models of top brands Thrunite /Olight/Sunwayman (instead of the latest ones) etc. that where top-notch just 2/3 Years ago when there are special price offers on those.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi quaileggs,no its just an 18650 cell fed light.

Linky for a read
http://batteryuniversity.com/

If you want a good all round light for car on AAAs then i love my lenser t7.2

It eats 4xAAA cells,lenser recommend using alki but lots have had issue free use from nimh so if its to be stored in car i would feed it 4xAAA eneloop cells,these hold charge for a long time and wont leak.

Burst iirc is 320lm,high is 250lm and low is 40lm. Now its not a regulated light,but i find it quite efficient all the same,it gradually gets dimmer,bonus of this is it doesn't drain cells as quick,also no surprise turning off as plenty of warning to replace or recharge cells as once it gets to say 80-100lm then you know time to change/charge cells.

I get many hours of usable light,the flood is very handy and the throw is more than adequate for most needs.........also the t7.2 can be locked,twist of head and can lock in what ever part of the zoom your in.

Just an option,its a good light imho

Other than that there are lights like the sunwayman d40a that runs on 4xAA cells,also nitecore ea4 again 4xAA cells(the newer button does not have the issues of the 1st version where reports of button ballooning.

Bigger still,i like the nitecore ea8,this believe or not eats 8xAA cells,bigger light,bigger 60mm head.Also fenix tk41 and tk45 on AA cells if a preferred choice but as with the ea8 they are a larger light,bonus of 8 cells on lower modes is longer run times in emergencies........
For all the above i recommend eneloop cells,they are 1 of the best nimh rechargeable cells on the market imo,up to 1800 charge cycles and retain 75% charge after 5yrs.........apparently :laughing: i have not got the time to check or memory for that matter :laughing: Leaving alki cells of any kind in lights unused(even used) poses a risk of them leaking and ruining your nice new light.If it is a way you go make sure they are changed regular and not left for years......

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

wrhaliburton

Newly Enlightened
I only leave cheap lights in the car. That way if they are stolen I won't have a coronary. But the Panasonic 18650 cost more that the light :)

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I won't think twice about paying up to $10 for a light to fit in the glovebox although i try to keep the price down to less than that if I can manage. I think I got two for $15 and they are fine. I see no reason to spend funds for something that may never be used and I just check them now and then to see if they're still working.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
I keep a Energizer High Intensity 180 lumen 2AA light in the glove box at all times. With Energizer batteries of course.
+1 for the Energizer 2AA. Solid build with plenty of light. Also have Energizer headlamp in glove box and first aid bag.
The headlamps were in the car before the regular flashlight. All three use AA batteries.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
My trusty Fenix TK20 (with the red light insert) in the glove compartment and spare cells and even trustier 3D cell Maglite fitted with a LED drop in on the driver's side.

That does not count the EDC lights though.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
Fenix E11 and a 10 pack of Alkaline batteries. The batteries are stored separate from the light in a zip-lock bag.
But I always have a EDC light on my hip so I can get instant light if I need it.

Aussie2014

Newly Enlightened
Led Lenser P17 for me. More than enough light, wide and throw capability, long run times. Suits my needs well.

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E25 with Eneloops and a traffic wand. If I'm going on a road trip, will likely bring a headlamp and at least one more light, probably SC600MKII L2 or PD35, depending on the trip.

palacki808

Newly Enlightened
I always have my 2xAA maglite in my glovebox. It has a very bright aftermarket led bulb.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually in the car I keep a Zebralight H502 + 3 Eneloops + a pack of alkaline batteries.
But then I always have one or two torches with me (H600w - PD35)
I always keep a charger Nitecore I2 (with cable 12 volts) under the seat.