What lights do you carry in your car?

VoodooSan

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Nitecore SRT7 in my go bag that I keep in my truck. I keep extra CR123 batteries. I also have a Streamlight Stylus Pro in the bag as well. It's been a really useful light. A bit to big for my pocket so I kept it in my truck.

wjv

Enlightened
Ray-O-Vac Retros (2xD) for $5 each from Walmart.
If they die, get lost or the batteries leak. . . No great loss.

But then I always carry a "real" flashlight plus spare batteries and an EDC.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightwave 3000. Couple D cell alkalines in it...change them out every three years or so, and haven't had any problems yet. Great runtime, and I'm not worried about killing the cells like I would be with lithium-ion.

I also carry two signaling lights (LED flares, basically), in case of emergency. Good thing to have if you should ever have an accident or break down.

YBCold

Newly Enlightened
i don't necessarily keep in my car but i EDC it in my bag which rides shotgun, its usually too hot for me to leave anything electronic in a car but i carry a Stream light Scorpion the old incandescent model with some extra batteries.

wrdwrght

Newly Enlightened
I refrain from keeping flashlights in the car; don't want to subject my rechargeables to summer's heat and winter's cold. If I'm out and about, I have a Zebralight SC52 or Fenix PD35, depending on lumens needed, in addition to my EDC'd Maratac AAA. A road trip might also see me bring a 4xD LED Maglite.

SIGconvert

Newly Enlightened
I keep a P2X Fury in my car while working nights. I dont leave it in the car during the day.

booky

Newly Enlightened
I keep a Sipik SK68 and a cheapo 18 led lantern. I've had my car broken into a couple times, so if I lose them it's not a big deal.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Lightwave 3000. Couple D cell alkalines in it...change them out every three years or so, and haven't had any problems yet. Great runtime, and I'm not worried about killing the cells like I would be with lithium-ion.

I also carry two signaling lights (LED flares, basically), in case of emergency. Good thing to have if you should ever have an accident or break down.

I'm with thedoc007 and groutboy_1 regarding traffic signaling devices.

I can argue that the MOST IMPORTANT light in my car is my 22inch Dorcey LED traffic wand. The light tube is 1.5 inches in diameter, and 13 inches long. Even in broad daylight, it is easily seen and can be used (like a signaling flag) to stop traffic, or wave drivers out of any particular lane into another.

In a vinyl bag clipped to my ashtray, I have three penlights, and a surefire style red traffic diffuser cone inserted point down, with a Solarforce 2M light inserted tail down. This one is instantly accessible to me. The big Dorsey is in the trunk.

I also carry a FIRST AID KIT.
I started with a ~$20 @ walmart
Justin Case Travel Pro Automotive Safety Kit
I mention it because it comes with a 2D incandescent light with a cone light diffuser.

I made a number of upgrades, including changing the incan PR2 bulb to a PR2 LED bulb I pulled from a rayovac $2.50 LED 2D cell light. Not that it is brighter, but it will last longer.
I upgraded the first aid kit, and added rain-gear, firestarter, mylar blankets, and other "survival" stuff. It makes for a easily stored compartmented container.

In the trunk, I also have 3 reflective triangles, and two safety vests, and a pair of headlamps, and another pair of inexpensive flashlights.

I also agree with wjv and booky, and others who mentioned using low cost lights.
wjv
Ray-O-Vac Retros (2xD) for $5 each from Walmart.
If they die, get lost or the batteries leak. . . No great loss.
And booky:
I keep a Sipik SK68 and a cheapo 18 led lantern. I've had my car broken into a couple times, so if I lose them it's not a big deal.
It seems that my car is a "catch all" for the lights that I don't use around the house because I have better ones, and other than the few over $20 lights, they won't be a big loss.

I might morn the loss of batteries as much as the loss of the lights.
I have three 2*AAA and two 3*AAA lights (one a headlamp) filled with (12 in all) duraloops, and with energizer lithium back-ups.
A four pack of AA lithiums for one of the head lamps.
and an 18650 for the solarforce.

I also have two 12v chargers. One for the AAA's and one for the 18650.

The D cells, and spares, I wouldn't morn :)

Wow! That was a long post. If you read it, you must be a glutton for punishment, but I'm flattered none-the-less :thumbsup:
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

pineapple

Newly Enlightened
I keep a Surefire G2X Pro in each of my vehicles. Also spare Surefire batteries in a Surefire carrier - can't remember the model number, but it's the small one that holds 4 batteries.

starz1

Newly Enlightened
My Dorcy. Nothing special but it gets the job done in a time of need!

Fast LT1

Newly Enlightened
Keep a surefire lx2 in the car with 6 batteries and a 4d cell maglite with two extra lamps. Plus i usually have an e1e on me at all times and most of the time i also have an lx2 or an a2 led aviator on me.

Illum

Flashaholic
Nothing special, ITP H01 headlamp with L92, Surefire 6P with lighthound single mode XPG R5 drop-in. I used to store a surefire M6 in it, it hardly ever got used. Though times I did use it it was impressive... 3x17670/WA1185 :twothumbs

then with the lights on me I hardly ever need to dig it out
Fenix E05
4Sevens Mini-ML
(Two) Surefire L4s [with MC-E leds]
(Once awhile) Surefire 9P with EagleTac Triple XP-G2

Last edited:

mpett1

Newly Enlightened
I have a few lights in the car. One is a older Rayovac Tactical 80lm light and the other is a single AA cell Romisen. Also have a magnetic incedesent light that plugs into the lighter jack I can stick to the side of the car to change a tire.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bored SF 6P blue from Oveready with an EDC+ Nichia 219 triple dropin. Color matches (or close) to the interior and the runtime on a single 18650 is good.

akrapacs

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E12 in the console for simple lighting needs
Fenix TK22 in the console for more demanding lighting needs
Black Diamond Icon Headlamp in the console if I need to free up my hands
Fenix PD32 in the emergency gear kit stowed in the back