1000mA Cree XR-E?

sortafast

Enlightened
Ok so I have been running an P3 XR-E in my bike light at 750mA using a Downboy converter running off of a 6v NiMH pack from another light system i have. Question is, would i gain much in the brightness department by switching to a 1000mA driver? Would it be noticeable? Or would i just wind up turning the extra 250mA into heat that i would need to get rid of?

Last edited:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll be getting 220~250lm from 1Amp...
That would be a bit less then if you would be driving 3 XR-E emitters @ 350mA :)

The efficiency drops a bit when upping the current, so you might also be producing more heat.... Also, not sure if you would notice your light getting any brighter.

You only REALLY notice if you would compare it side-by-side....

Cheers !

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
sortafast said:
Ok so I have been running an XR-E in my bike light at 750mA using a Downboy converter running off of a 6v NiMH pack from another light system i have. Question is, would i gain much in the brightness department by switching to a 1000mA driver? Would it be noticeable? Or would i just wind up turning the extra 250mA into heat that i would need to get rid of?

With your modding ability, I would strongly suggest that you go have a look at Georges80's website

Website

Under the 'Products' tab, check out his bFlex driver.

This man makes 'proper drivers'. You,the user, can set the ma output. So experiment from 1200ma down. Once you have established the ma setting thats right for you, it is now possible to customize the variable intensity range within the available ma you have selected.

Then , depending on your preference, you can chose one of three UI's.

If using rechargables, you can set and adjust the minimum low voltage so you do not destroy your LI rechargeable.

The list goes on and on.

Also you have a built in micro momentary switch or you can wire up your own
to a remote location in the housing.