12 LED 4D lantern at Sports Authority for $10

boonsht

Newly Enlightened
I bought one since the original price on it was $30, just to try it out. It's made by Alpine Design. It says it's a "dual powered LED lantern with 12 Super Bright LEDs". Works on 4D batteries or an AC adaptor (not included). It has a rheostat to adjust brightness as well. The sale on this ends tomorrow I believe.

Compared to my River Rock lantern, its much dimmer even if it's on high. Anyone else have any experience with this lantern? Will try and get some pics posted.

Some pics:

River Rock and 12 LED together

both

River Rock with Glad Press and seal around it
12led

12 LEd from Sports Authority
12ledled

Both together
bothlit

On another forum, someone said it was equal or slightly brighter than his 12 LED lantern made by Cabela. For $10 it's not a bad deal.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The larger lantern looks like the 4D Journey's Edge lantern:

http://www.headlineproducts.com/images/LED-Lantern.jpg

Menard's (a home center store in the midwest USA) sold them for about $5 each the day after Thanksgiving in 2005 and 2006. I have seen the same lantern sold bearing the Jeep logo.

I have 2 of them as well as the 4AA River Rock.

The River Rock is brigher, smaller, much lighter weight, and is powered by less expensive batteries. I don't know how long the 4D lantern will run on a set of batteries because I rarely use it. My wife used it for night fishing and it worked OK but was not bright enough to see very far.

boonsht

Newly Enlightened
Heh looks exactly like the pic you posted. Must be many like this with just a rebranded name to it.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one about 2 years ago & it broke (switch) not soon afterwards but for $10 i really didn't care. About a year later i saw one for $5 or $6 so i said i might as well give it a second try. Soon after using it a few led's didn't work & the switch acted up like the old one so i've come to the conclusion that these are pure junk.

S

starlinklighting

this item is popular here too.yes ,it is dim,but it is more saving energy...