Hid BeamShots - Helios - XeRay 50 - X990 - PL24 - SuperNova - Crocodile

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got together with member Radio today we made a few lights and managed to fit some HID beamshots in. All lights where aimed at the base of the tree which was 100 yards away. All shots where taken with a Canon 20D DSLR in full manual mode so the exposure was locked for each shot.

Mac
Combined Image (Thanks Lips!)

MacBeamshot2HigherRes-vi.jpg

Full Images

First up the Baseline shot

Baseline-vi.jpg

Wolf Eyes Crocodile on High (3400 Lumens)

Croc_High-vi.jpg

Wolf Eyes Crocodile on Low (2000 Lumens)

Croc_Low-vi.jpg

Helios

Helios-vi.jpg

XeRay 50 watt (GE Lamp *standard*)

XeRay-vi.jpg

SureFire M6

M6-vi.jpg

AeLight PL24 24 watt HID

Pl24-vi.jpg

SuperNova Tight Focus (Maxabeam Clone)

SuperNovaNarrow-vi.jpg

SuperNova Medium Focus

SuperNovaMedium-vi.jpg

SuperNova Wide Focus

SuperNpvaWide-vi.jpg

For Comparison my "Torch" Osram 100watt in a mag host.

Torch-vi.jpg

X990 Narrow Focus

X990Narrow-vi.jpg

X990 Wide Focus

X990Wide-vi.jpg

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet!!!

Man i want a Helios :D
Thanks for the Beamshots Mac.

How would you say the K2000R compares to the AE24?

I have ordered a K2000R but after putting two and two together assuming the K2000R is about as bright as the AE light im not as exited as i were.

I know i am comparing BB Guns to Rockets here so all in all the K2000R maybe isnt such a bad choice for the price and size.

Benny

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh,:ohgeez:
Thanks Mac.

Ofcource how could i forget,i have read that review about 100 times already.
The Helios Beam must have formatted my brain for a sec there.

Crap now i want a Helios even more..
The K2000R and AE24 looks like Stock Maglites compared to the Big-Guns,lol.

Benny

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots Mac. :thumbsup:

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

FILA BRAZILIA

Enlightened
Excellent work Mac! Actually, the biggest surprise for me after comparing the beamshots, was how good the X990 performs. It didn`t get "smashed" by the big boys. (Of course, The Helios and XeRay is another league of lights, but not THAT better as I thought). BTW; I want to apologize for how I brought up the "No-answer-to-those-PM`s" (I am sure you know what I talk about).
Keep up the excellent work :goodjob: FILA.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Very Nice!!!!! I liked the combined shot, I know it was a lot of extra work but it looks like it was worth it!!!! After playing with all the lights I must say ergonomically the Polarion Helios was the easiest to use and with the Hot Restrike feature was my favorite. I was extremely happy with the X990 bang for the buck, gotta add that one to my list!!

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
D-Dog said:
WOW, it makes me want an X990 all the more after seeing how the M6/other 500 lumen lights just can't compete with the "Big Boys". Also, just an observation, Was the Supernova not running up to par, as I remember seeing it MUCH, MUCH brighter in this thread. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/77499&page=1&pp=30

The Super Nova was running fine. The problem when taking beamshots is you need to adjust the camera setting for the Brightest light so the images will not be blown out (over saturated). The Beamshot pictures do not represent how the lights look in person. What these beamshots do is give a an accurate way to compare lights to each other.

Mac

D-Dog

Enlightened
cmacclel said:
The Super Nova was running fine. The problem when taking beamshots is you need to adjust the camera setting for the Brightest light so the images will not be blown out (over saturated). The Beamshot pictures do not represent how the lights look in person. What these beamshots do is give a an accurate way to compare lights to each other.

Mac

Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the explanation :grin2:

*Retired*
There is a big problem here, if you look, the sky keeps changing colors, and some of those lights do have greater difference in beam color than shown. It looks like the white balance was not locked?

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
There is a big problem here, if you look, the sky keeps changing colors, and some of those lights do have greater difference in beam color than shown. It looks like the white balance was not locked?

Yes it was brought to my attention about the White balance. The camera was it auto white balance.

I talked to radio that was there last night and we both agree the colors shown seem accurate.

Also I can't really see a big difference of the sky on my screen? Some pictures do look different but that seems to be the different cloud cover. There where clouds in the sky.

Mac

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Great comparison, thanx !! :thumbsup:

Interesting that the old veteran X990 is still up there ...

bernie

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That was sweet, simple, and very well done. Fabulous job in showing combined pix and all the separate detail shots. For some reason I thought the M6 would have done a little better....but the XeRay was great showing the standard GE bulb, and with its focus shows the beam pattern contrast with the Helios very well. X990 is a proud little brother of the group! Thanks again for keeping the text commentary to a minimum, which lets the pix do the talking.

:rock::rock::rock:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing I forgot like an Idiot was to shoot the XeRay in flood mode....Duh!

Mac

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It's too ugly a mode to even bother with. Same with the SuperNova wide view. I did like the sharp corona and focus of the XeRay so you don't see the wire shadow. That focus point is how I use mine.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILA BRAZILIA said:
Would you consider taking 200-yard beamshots of these lights later, Mac?

I would love to but If I could find a place that offered 200 yards. I'm right next to the city (Boston) so dimly illuminated fields are hard to come by :)

Mac

Latest posts