Fenix L1D-CE Comparison Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1D CE is a very much anticipated light -
you're getting this review again due to the kind courtesy of 4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com)

In a few days some of you may be looking at -
L1DCEpk.jpg

Size -
L1DCEsz.jpg

the new L1D-CE is bigger - in length and diameter than the well known L1T - but it's something I didn't notice until I had them side-by-side.

Heads -
L1DCEhd.jpg

The diameter is not quite as wide as the P1D-CE, and to confirm, the L1D-CE head does NOT fit the L1T body.... however the tailcaps are interchangable.

Turbo Mode - the brightest setting on Alkaline AA-

vs. Fenix L1T on High - both on alkaline -
L1DCEtbo_L1T.jpg
L1DCEtbo_L1T2U.jpg

not surprisingly the new L1D-CE is significantly brighter than the L1T on High.

vs. Cree XR-E mod Fenix L1T on High - both on alkaline
L1DCEtbo_CreeL1T.jpg
L1DCEtbo_CreeL1T2U.jpg

vs. Fenix P1D-CE on High - primary CR123A
L1DCEtbo_P1DCE.jpg
L1DCEtbo_P1DCE2U.jpg

well, this is kind of expected - the L1D-CE on a single regular alkaline is not as brighter even in its Turbo mode than the fabulous P1D-CE - but then that's on a primary lithium CR123A - capable of delivering higher currents.

vs. Fenix L0D-CE on High - alkaline
L1DCEtbo_L0DCE.jpg
L1DCEtbo_L0DCE2U.jpg

The L0D-CE is a single AAA light and again not surprisingly on High it is not as bright as the L1D-CE's Turbo mode......

Low Mode - alkaline -

vs. Fenix L1T - both on Low and alkaline -
L1DCELo_L1T.jpg
L1DCELo_L1T2U.jpg

pretty comparable - so the L1D-CE has been given a practical low level -
which is rated at 25 hours at that constant level - that's really good performance compared to the rated 10 hours of the L1T.

vs. Cree XR-E mod Fenix L1T - both on Low - alkaline
L1DCELo_CreeL1T.jpg
L1DCELo_CreeL1T2U.jpg

The Cree Mod L1T is brighter - but then its runtime would be closer to the rated 10 hours of the stock L1T - I definitiely prefer the longer runtime of the L1D-CE in low mode......

vs. Fenix P1D-CE on Low - primary CR123A
L1DCELo_P1DCE.jpg
L1DCELo_P1DCE2U.jpg

P1D-CE has a brighter Low level - and rated runtime of 21hrs vs. 25hrs of the L1D-CE

vs. Fenix L0D-CE both on Low - alkaline
L1DCELo_L0DCE.jpg
L1DCELo_L0DCE2U.jpg

similar low levels - the rated runtimes of the L0D-CE on low is 8.5 hours whereas the L1D-CE low is rated 25 hours
allowing for capacities for alkaline AA = 2,850mAH and AAA = 1,250mAh -
the runtime ratio should be 2.28x theoretically - that means
8.5hrs --> 19.4hrs on AA
or
25hrs --> 10.9hrs on AAA
so this simple extrapolation shows that the L1D-CE's regulated Low is more efficient than the the PWM low of the L0D-CE......

The L1D-CE on low shows a much more yellow-green tint than the other Crees P1D-CE, L0D-CE and the Cree mod L1T on thier respective Lows - which all tend toward cool/blue.

There s still a minimal dark halo on the L1D-CE - not as pronounced as the P1D-CE - but more than on the Cree mod L1T (stippled reflector) and the L0D-CE - reflector almost right up to the lens/dome........

This is a significant light - well deserving the attention and anticipation it has been getting on CPF........

When you get yours let us know what you think.

TailCap details Post #23
Head wider than L1T but tailcap the same Post #25
Current Draw on alkaline + Glitches Post #31
Bezel/Reflector part of head unscrews Post #39
Beam focus by unscrewing bezel/reflector part of head - in Post #68
vs. Fenix L2D-CE Post #84
Part 2 - 3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable 14500 in Post #92
Part 3 - "Practical" Stairway beamshots Post #96
Part 4 - NiMH Post #102
L1Dce NiMH Turbo vs. Fenix L1T 3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable - Post #107
ReFocussed beamshot comparison - Post #116
Refocussed Stairway beamshots comparison - Post #118

Fenix L2D CE and L1D CE runtime graphs by Chevrofreak

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks Vt! Can you test it with 3 volts in, to simulate an L2D CE? A side by side shot of L1D CE vs L0D CE at similar brightness levels (to compare the beam patterns) would also be nice.

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
Nice! Thanks a lot. Your comparison review on the L0D-CE pushed me over the edge and I ordered one a couple of days ago. Now I'm heavily considering the L1D-CE. This begs the question...

Do you work for Fenix???

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
Is the split ring attachment point like the L1T or is it more like the L0D-CE?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr wrote: "Can you test it with 3 volts in, to simulate an L2D CE? "

I actually have a L2D-CE to hand also due to the kind courtesy of 4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com).

The heads and bodies are compatible/interchangeable, ie: the heads are the same -

I was going to do the comparison on 2AA with the P1D-CE for the L2D-CE review - but when I take those beamshots I can post them here too......

paulr wrote: "A side by side shot of L1D CE vs L0D CE at similar brightness levels (to compare the beam patterns) would also be nice."

That shot is already there -
look at the L1D-CE vs. Fenix L0D-CE both on Low - alkaline -
the last set of beamshots.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics! I can't wait for mine to arrive!!! Is there a significant difference between high and turbo?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer wrote: "Is there a significant difference between high and turbo?"

According to the specs it's 90 lumens (Turbo) vs. 80 lumens (High)
so there's 10 lumens difference -
but percentage wise it's 12.5%.

In isolation I'd be hard put to say Turbo was brighter.

BUT one can switch instantly from High to Turbo by twisting the head - when I do this, I can see an increase in brightness.
Whether it's significant enough to make any practical difference, I think is up to each person.

paulr

Flashaholic
The user interface of the L1D/L2D just seems nuts to me and I think the sensible way to operate it is to just use the twist bezel to flip between turbo and low, and ignore the medium, high, and strobe/sos settings.

Woops, yeah, thanks re L0D vs L1D, somehow I didn't notice that. The lumen output is similar and the L1D just has that narrower, brighter hot spot?

Looking forward to the L2D vs P1D comparison, and to some runtime graphs when someone does them. These are new designs so the graphs will be informative.

daq

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much Vincent. I appreciate the work you put into this.

Looking forward to the comparison of the L2D-CE with P1D-CE.

Dale

Glockstersharp

Newly Enlightened
Ralls said:
Nice! Thanks a lot. Your comparison review on the L0D-CE pushed me over the edge and I ordered one a couple of days ago. Now I'm heavily considering the L1D-CE. This begs the question...

Do you work for Fenix???

What he said. Great comparison review. Your posts "forced" me to order the LOD CE, L1D CE and the L2D CE.:thumbsup:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1D-CE looks has nice features, but man, why do the Fenix lights keep getting bigger? (and more expensive)

While not likely to make a difference in many situations, I carry my EDC AA light in the slim pocket of my "tactical" wallet created by knuckleduster over at EDC forums. My Fenix MKII *just* fits in that pocket and is about the max size I could see comfortably carrying with me in a front pocket at all times. I fully plan on "downsizing" the MKII with the JetBeam C-LE which by all photo accounts is significantly SMALLER in all dimensions than the MKII. The MKII is pretty much exactly the same size as the Fenix L1P/L1T, so judging by the picts you posted, the L1D will seem like a veritable giant compared to the C-LE- I can't wait for some actually comparison picts.

I don't mean to be too hard on the L1D- the feature set does look nice (definately easier to use UI compared with the C-LE, plus no PWM). That said, the best light is the one you have with you, so for me, the C-LE will be my EDC Cree light unless it doesn't meet expectations or something even better comes along.

Actually, this review makes me more interested in the L2D CE, since that light is already more of a bag light that could double as an impact weapon if necessary. It would still be fairly compact as far as 2AA lights go and the higher voltage allows for much higher output on Turbo. I look forward to hearing what people think of the L2D.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
The CE's are about 6mm longer, maybe because the Cree radiation pattern needs a deeper reflector. I don't know why they're 1mm or so wider.

I think I agree about suddenly being interested in the L2D CE. The L1p was my favorite light for a long time but I gave it away last night after getting an L0D-CE which puts out about the same amount of lumens in a light a third of the size. I didn't edc the L1p but brought it along when I needed something more powerful than an Arc AAA. But the L1D-CE is not more powerful than the L0D CE by enough margin to make me really want both. Its main attraction is using AA's since I have lots of those. But I may as well use the L2D then since I'm already dealing with extra size. The L2D should work quite a bit better on alkalines than the L1D since the current draw should be half for the same wattage.

VT, I have a weird pic request, if you have a way to take two separate pics with the same exposure settings. I'd like a pic of "high" mode for either the L1D or L2D, alongside a pic of SOS mode in the "on" phase. Basically I want to know whether SOS uses high or turbo brightness, since that should allow computing the runtime. I shouldn't really care about this since I think SOS mode is silly, but since it's there...

Knifemaster

Newly Enlightened
It's too big and it has too many modes. Give me something smaller with a high ( click) low (click) setting and I would be fine. It feels like fenix is moving backwards with it's lights too complicated, poor quality, too expensive:thumbsdow

LowTEC

Enlightened
Great review, but I'm still waiting for a R123A adapter before I will get to own a L1D-CE. Let's hope the extra 1 mm helps to have a RCR123 in there :whistle:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT said:
The new L1D-CE is bigger - in length and diameter than the well known L1T - but it's something I didn't notice until I had them side-by-side.

and

The diameter is not quite as wide as the P1D-CE, and to confirm, the L1D-CE head does NOT fit the L1T body.... however the tailcaps are interchangable.

Thanks VT...for everything.... but I have a question.

If the L1D body is bigger than the L1T, (which you can see in the pic) and you can't swap heads, how is it that the tailcaps are interchangeable? If the L1D barrel is just threaded down to fit, you'd still think the OD's wouldn't match up?

daveman

Enlightened
Flawless beamshots, VT.

@Fenix: Don't be fooled by some of the baseless critiques a few individuals have put up here. As you will soon find out from your sales numbers, the L1D CE user interface is absolutely brilliant; it allows control of multiple outputs at the twist of our fingertips. Most of the naysayers are probably just envious of your UI design and want to throw you off the track. Stay the course!

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
I just pulled the trigger and ordered one!!! It'll make a nice addition to my L0D-CE.