Fenix L1D-CE Comparison Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ralls wrote: "Is the split ring attachment point like the L1T or is it more like the L0D-CE?"

Neither - although there is some minimal resemblance to both.

There are two holes fairly wide apart - and a crescent cut out between.

Black flashlights do not photograph well -
but here's a crop from the size photo (above) -
which hoprfully may help illustrate my word description -
L1DCEtailC.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ralls wrote: "Do you work for Fenix???"

I'm sure there's nothing meant by this -
but I should really resent that remark.

I have no affliation with Fenix -
I haven't even e-mailed them -
which is probably unusual for a CPF'er.

My connection - which is declared on every review - is through 4sevens -who is a friend -
and to make it absolutely clear I have NO commercial or financial affliation with 4sevens or the Fenix-Store.

Happy now?
I can say anything I want about Fenix products -
and if you take the time to actually read my reviews, I have not tried to hide or minimize any faults I have seen - like the much criticized Cree dark halo.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_me wrote: "If the L1D body is bigger than the L1T, (which you can see in the pic) and you can't swap heads, how is it that the tailcaps are interchangeable? If the L1D barrel is just threaded down to fit, you'd still think the OD's wouldn't match up?"

The outter-diameter (OD) is NOT uniform on the L1D-CE.
Please look more carefully at the size photo above -
the head has a wider diameter than the tail -
it helps to look comparing with the L1T which is right next to the L1D-CE in the photo (there is some method to my madness)

You have to look carefully at these side-by-side photos comparing the body tube ends at the head and the tail with the L1T - to see the difference -

Head ....................................................... Tail
L1DCEhdDia.jpg
L1DCEtailDia.jpg

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A great review with beamshots that tell the story well. :thumbsup:

Mine has been shipped and will be used with NiMH exclusively which leads to the question; runtime on NiMH much better than alkaline and by how much? I am assuming the runtime that Fenix states are based on NiMH? I don't see an alkaline having the guts to push "turbo" for 90 minutes. Figure the light is pulling an amp when operating in turbo and alkies really don't like that :green:

Any way you could get a current reading from the L1D CE in its various modes? Thanks again for the great review and you just made my wait for the light tougher. :)

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
UnknownVT wrote: "I'm sure there's nothing meant by this -
but I should really resent that remark.

I have no affliation with Fenix -
I haven't even e-mailed them -
which is probably unusual for a CPF'er.

My connection - which is declared on every review - is through 4sevens -who is a friend -
and to make it absolutely clear I have NO commercial or financial affliation with 4sevens or the Fenix-Store.

Happy now?
I can say anything I want about Fenix products -
and if you take the time to actually read my reviews, I have not tried to hide or minimize any faults I have seen - like the much criticized Cree dark halo."

I was indeed kidding and should have indicated so with the appropriate emoticon. Sorry. I really do like your thorough and timely reviews. No disrespect intended. Thanks for the answer to my question about the tailcap.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 questions! Is strobe at the same level as Turbo? What is the light level of the SOS mode? Is it faster than P1D/L0D?

Thanks

LightScene

Enlightened
Fabulous review. Thanks for the tons of work and thought that went into it.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX wrote: "Any way you could get a current reading from the L1D CE in its various modes? "

Curent draw at the tail -

Alkaline 1.487(starting) -1.410V (end of readings) open-circuit -

Low = 0.11-0.15A
Medium = 0.87A
High = 1.13 - 1.17A
Turbo = 1.27A

NiMH 1.361(starting) - 1.318V (end of readings) open-circuit -

Low = 0.13A
Medium = 0.86A
High = 1.19A
Turbo = 1.26A

WildChild wrote: "Is strobe at the same level as Turbo? What is the light level of the SOS mode? Is it faster than P1D/L0D?"

The strobe looks like the same level as the Turbo.

The SOS on the L1D-CE seemed paced faster than the P1D-CE and L0D-CE - also the gap between sets is now only about 3 seconds.

There are a couple of "glitches" that I've caught - and I have checked with another sample -

On turning on the light in general mode to the default/initial Low - there seems to be a very quick flash of high or turbo level - it's quick enough that I can't be sure of the level - but I am sure it's brighter than the eventual low level.

SOS - when SOS mode is entered there seems to an initial one or two pulses - before the light starts with the first 3 pulses for Morse code "S" - this only occurs when first entering the SOS mode - those first two additional initial pulses seem slightly "different" (I can't pin-point why) - but one could mistake the very first character as 5 pulses (that's "5" in Morse code)

Morse Code at Wikipedia

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Thanks alot! my light is coming next week, and now I just might not get any sleep untill it arrives :D

Thanks for the great review!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great!

The SOS on the L1D-CE seemed paced faster than the P1D-CE and L0D-CE - also the gap between sets is now only about 3 seconds.

Another great news! The signal should be less difficult to miss. The 10 secs between each blocs was too much on P1D/L0D

There are a couple of "glitches" that I've caught - and I have checked with another sample -

On turning on the light in general mode to the default/initial Low - there seems to be a very quick flash of high or turbo level - it's quick enough that I can't be sure of the level - but I am sure it's brighter than the eventual low level.

I guess it's probably high. The L0D has the same glitch sometimes and the L0P SE I had, had the same glitch.

SOS - when SOS mode is entered there seems to an initial one or two pulses - before the light starts with the first 3 pulses for Morse code "S" - this only occurs when first entering the SOS mode - those first two additional initial pulses seem slightly "different" (I can't pin-point why) - but one could mistake the very first character as 5 pulses (that's "5" in Morse code)

Is it only in the 1st bloc or in every subsequent blocs? If it's only in the 1st I think it shouldn't be a problem. The L0D I have has some kind of equivalent glitch when I enter in the SOS mode, a fast pulse appears in the first S code and only 2 dot pulses are made after. Every next blocks are OK. This glitch does not always appear.

Overall they are probably not big glitches! I hope to receive my L2D fast! :)

Last edited:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vincent,

Using a 3.7v li-ion in both the L1D-CE vs the P1D-CE, which one was brighter on the highest mode (turbo)?

Thanks,

John

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT said:
BentHeadTX wrote: "Any way you could get a current reading from the L1D CE in its various modes? "

Curent draw at the tail -

Alkaline 1.487(starting) -1.410V (end of readings) open-circuit -

Low = 0.11-0.15A
Medium = 0.87A
High = 1.13 - 1.17A
Turbo = 1.27A

NiMH 1.361(starting) - 1.318V (end of readings) open-circuit -

Low = 0.13A
Medium = 0.86A
High = 1.19A
Turbo = 1.26A

WildChild wrote: "Is strobe at the same level as Turbo? What is the light level of the SOS mode? Is it faster than P1D/L0D?"

Thanks Unknown,
The life of an alkaline at 1.27 amps will be short indeed! Good thing I can kick down the levels if I ever need to run alkies in a pinch. Received a shipping notice on mine so I had better get off my butt and order some Eneloops to feed the light.
Good to hear the strobe is at "turbo" brightness, I'll be using mine as a bicycle helmet light in turbo mode. A quick press on the switch and the strobe will wake up drivers if the max brightness won't. Great review!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 wrote: "I read in this thread that a 14500 Li-Ion will make all the modes the same brightness. Can you confirm/deny that, please?"

john2551 wrote: "Using a 3.7v li-ion in both the L1D-CE vs the P1D-CE, which one was brighter on the highest mode (turbo)?"

I'm getting hold of 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable 14500 soon so will be able to say something then.

However the Fenix P1D-CE (link) I reviewed using 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123 had its 3 levels the same (extra bright) until the battery was use a bit then it did drop into regulated mode - so there was then a difference in the levels.

The explanation for this was the initial voltage of the 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable exceeded the Vout set for the step-up circuit (= Vf of LED) so the light was in effect in driect-drive - until the battery voltage drops to below the Vf and regulation kicks in.

If I were to hazard a guess I think the L1D-CE would probably work the same way - but this is a GUESS on my part only.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT said:
This is good news......
L1DCEhdOpn.jpg
L1DCE_LED.jpg

yes?............

Lantern Mode!
Very good news and added versitility... now all we need is a turbo head and 2AA bodies for a throw monster (can't have it all) Now for the Q3 and Q4 emitters to show up since the light is easy to mod.