My Surefire U2 (100 Lumen) brighter than Fenix P1dce CREE '135' Lumens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaowenzu

Banned
My goodness, this is AMAZING!! :lolsign: Okay before I get too ecstatic from the joy, I just came across the review of the Fenix P1DCE at the legendary site
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/seventh/p1d-ce.htm

and U2 review on this page:
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/u2.htm

The result ... Fenix in Highest mode puts out [font=Verdana, Arial Black][font=Verdana, Arial]1,678,000 mcd (at target 12" away) The Surefire U2 puts out [/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial Black][font=Verdana, Arial] 1,890,000mcd! [/font][/font]

I always thought the Fenix's 135 lumens was brighter than the U2's 100 Lumens, because of the obvious number difference. However apparently that's NOT so! :laughing: I guess LuxV is still alive and strong. This also probably has a lot to do with the fact Surefire's optics are so well balanced and they don't over-rate their lights like other manufacturers do. This NEWS makes me love my U2 even more! *dances around the room.* hehehe :lolsign:

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My Surefire U2 (100 Lumen) brighter than Fenix P1dce '135' Lumens!

I have both and looking out of my window at the dark garden I have always noticed that regardless of the claimed figures U2 gives out more light than P1D CE.
The only problem is really that U2 costs exactly like 4 Fenixes :awman:

xiaowenzu

Banned

Kilovolt said:
I have both and looking out of my window at the dark garden I have always noticed that regardless of the claimed figures U2 gives out more light than P1D CE.
The only problem is really that U2 costs exactly like 4 Fenixes :awman:

hehe :D It's true what they say... "WALL OF LIGHT"
We better start saving coz Surefire's gonna get Creed in June. :laughing:

robm

Enlightened

I don't think mcd and lumens measure the same thing.
The mcd measured depends on the distance from the light (otherwise 12ft would not be quoted). Lumens are not distance dependant.

xiaowenzu

Banned

robm said:
I don't think mcd and lumens measure the same thing.
The mcd measured depends on the distance from the light (otherwise 12ft would not be quoted). Lumens are not distance dependant.
I agree, while the measure of Lumens has it's uses, in practical world the measurement of mcd and Lux are more relevant to how our eyes perceive the brightness of the light.
As somebody here already commented, although the Fenix apparently has higher lumens, it is less brighter than the SureFire U2 to the naked eye. :)

LouRoy

Enlightened

The P1D CE is also less bright than a U2 to a light meter. Here are some readings from a ceiling bounce test I use to measure overall output of lights:

1100 U2 on high
1100 L4
790 Fenix P1D CE on high
910 Fenix L2D CE on turbo

The numbers are just a relative scale. They relate to overall light output and not throw.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SF U2 is NOT brighter than the P1D CE on highest settings.

According to flashlightreviews measurements:

U2 has 55 overall output, 43 throw.

the P1D CE has 78 overall output, 52 throw.

sorry.

Andrew Nik

Newly Enlightened

In my measurement, U2 have equal brightness with P1D CE, but U2 provide more useful, comfortable beam:
(distance 25 meters; WB set at Sun light)

Last edited:

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger

flashy bazook said:

sorry.

However, on a site selling the U2, I believe the surefire website actually, they state that the U2's maximum brightness ranges from 80-100 lumens, as the Luxeon V LEDs can vary a lot.

LouRoy

Enlightened

flashy bazook said:

sorry.

I hate to disappoint you, but my U2 is without a doubt brighter than my P1D CE, both by measurement with a light meter and by eyeball.

We have been discussing this is this thread, if you are interested:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156473

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as the U2 eats the same current than two Fenixes, why should it not be brighter?

use two Fenixes against one U2 and no doubt what "light" will be brighter, in advance.

Dobbler

Enlightened

:popcorn:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, while the measure of Lumens has it's uses, in practical world the measurement of mcd and Lux are more relevant to how our eyes perceive the brightness of the light.
As somebody here already commented, although the Fenix apparently has higher lumens, it is less brighter than the SureFire U2 to the naked eye.
Where the total lumens makes more difference is for working close range, or indoors -- there what is needed is a big flood of light. Outdoors though, how well the light is concentrated is generally more important than how many lumens are produced, as in many cases, all the "Spill" straight out the front of the light will just fly up into space and be lost. For something like a keychain light though, generally that will be used more for close range anyway -- it's also hard to argue with that kind of light outptu from such as small device, compared to the U2 which is about 2.5-3 times the size of the P1DCE. The bigger lens/reflector combo will mean that it will throw further and probabyl be more useful outdoors, even with less lumens (I gather than in reality they are about the same -- just that Surefire underestimates, and Fenix overestimates)

greenstuffs

Banned

You are comparing apples and oranges,
One company provides real lumens and the other provides marking lumens. I let you figure out which company is which :nana:

mkphc

Newly Enlightened

does anybody have beamshots w/ a D-mini included as well?

FASTCAR

Banned

In my box and my C-bounce test my P1dce is brighter then my U2.In fact so is my ASP TRIAD 3x cree and Amilite T5

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Some U2's will show lower overall output than some Fenix Cree based lights, and some will show higher overall output. Nothing complicated here.

Based on overall output of my Cree and Seoul modded lights compared to my lux V lights it seems that a Cree P4 emiter driven at 1 amp to the led can equal the output of a high flux lux V driven at spec (700mA's to led or so). A Seoul P4-U driven at 1 amp can equal the output of a steller W binned lux V driven at 1 amp to led. The high flux lux V's being offered by Surefire now are truly awesome, and Cree's have to work pretty hard to beat them, output wise. It will be a shame when, or if, Surefire no longer offers Lux V based lights.

Bill

txmatt

Enlightened

yellow said:
as the U2 eats the same current than two Fenixes, why should it not be brighter?

use two Fenixes against one U2 and no doubt what "light" will be brighter, in advance.

Not necessarily true due to different emitters.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are comparing apples and oranges,
One company provides real lumens and the other provides marking lumens. I let you figure out which company is which
greenstuffs,

that is why I quoted flashlightreviews measurements which are standardized, and according to which the U2 is below the P1D CE in light output.

which is amazing given how small in size the P1D CE is - and given that the U2 uses TWO batteries to P1D CE's one.

in my experience, the flashlightreviews measurements have been accurate, and when I compare visually and subjectively the results of flashlights that I have, the ranking is always the same to that you get from flashlightreviews' measurements.

so personally I'll continue to follow and depend on the review data.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

LouRoy said:
I hate to disappoint you, but my U2 is without a doubt brighter than my P1D CE, both by measurement with a light meter and by eyeball.

We have been discussing this is this thread, if you are interested:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156473
Not only the U2 , but also the L4 and the L5 kicks the P1D-CE butt silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.