SF M6 - Buy now or wait for deals or replacement model?

iceagecaver

Newly Enlightened
I like the look and power of the M6 with the crenulated bezel. I can get one from Action Lights for $399 including 24 free 123As and find myself tempted.

But, I did some research on this site and it looks like the M6 has been around for a long time and maybe due for a replacement. I looked through the 2008 SF catalogue and they are still making it. But, if the M6 is dated (and in desperate need of a rechargeable option due to its power hungry ways), maybe I should see what 2009 offers, especially if they offer something with a longer handle that can take 3 more 123as for a few more minutes of run time.

My only fear is that SF is moving in a design direction I am not too keen on, making lights like the Dominator which just don't scream toughness. Bright, sure, but not tough looking. Hopefully they keep some military-looking lights in their lineup.

Anyone know why the Beast II isn't on Surefire's website as an available product?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
But, I did some research on this site and it looks like the M6 has been around for a long time and maybe due for a replacement. I looked through the 2008 SF catalogue and they are still making it. But, if the M6 is dated (and in desperate need of a rechargeable option due to its power hungry ways), maybe I should see what 2009 offers, especially if they offer something with a longer handle that can take 3 more 123as for a few more minutes of run time.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Nothing was announced at SHOT Show 2008, and even if it was, that would be no guarantee that the product would be available the same year. Surely adding 3 more SF123a to the M6 would just make its "power hungry ways" worse? Having said that, I have little doubt that a 9x SF123a M6 (M9?) is sitting on PK's desk with all the other prototypes we may never see.

My only fear is that SF is moving in a design direction I am not too keen on, making lights like the Dominator which just don't scream toughness. Bright, sure, but not tough looking. Hopefully they keep some military-looking lights in their lineup.

Aesthetics aren't really a prime consideration for SureFire. Form follows function. Keep in mind that the 10X Dominator is now quite an "old" model, and that plenty of "military-looking" (I assume this refers to HA aluminium lights such as the M6) have since been released.

As for the 10X not being tough, I can assure you that it is. I would say that it is at least as tough, if not more so, than the M6. It's best not to think of SureFire's non-aluminium/Nitrolon based lights as "plastic", which conjures up images of fragile, cheap lights. The materials used for the 10X are extremely durable.

I'd suggest that if the M6 appeals to you, and you have a use for it, then go for it. SureFire have ceased R&D on new incandescent models as far as I'm aware, so you won't be seeing any major changes to the M6 (think of update/changes of incandescent models such as the 6PD).

Regards,
Tempest

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only real "replacements" to the M6 that I can see in SF's future are the smaller HID models they're coming out with, but I'll be surprised if those end up costing less than $1,000. If you want an M6, then go for it. The light has so many upgrade and modification routes right now that this really is the best time to get one.

ugrey

Enlightened
I would not wait to buy an M6. LEDs are getting close in output. The UB2 is supposed to be 400 lumens but it has not been released yet. The release date is about October of this year. But SF has been late on many, many projected products so, it may not be out this year. An LED flashlight, with more than 500 SureFire lumens, may not be out for 1.5 to 2 years. Are you willing to wait that long? SF is putting a great deal of time and money into HIDs. I hope they can solve the instant on and restrike problems. There are much better, much brighter lights on the way, but who knows when.

P.S. I want a SureFire M9. Come on PK, add 3 more batteries and a new bulb. Just get your magic wand out and make magic.

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UB2 is supposed to be 400 lumens but it has not been released yet. The release date is about October of this year. But SF has been late on many, many projected products so, it may not be out this year.

I think it's best to keep in mind that most of the "release dates" of SureFire products are just guesstimates made by CPF members that have then been popularized and mistaken for an official announcement.

Regards,
Tempest

Taboot

Enlightened
On ebay, you can usually find a NIB one for $310 or even a little less. Check what brand of 123s they are going to give you too. From what I've gathered, certain 123s perform better than others in the M6. For example, Surefire brand and Duracell Ultras work well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old M6 is still being sold for years to come. You can make it rechargeable several different ways. Just do a search on CPF. I chose the "buy a grunch of 123s" alternative for now.

I think the 10X is tough as nails from what I've read.

I like the look and power of the M6 with the crenulated bezel. I can get one from Action Lights for $399 including 24 free 123As and find myself tempted.

Anyone know why the Beast II isn't on Surefire's website as an available product?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy the M6 and be done with it. If a replacement model comes along next year, buy it and then sell the M6 if need be.

cqbdude

Enlightened
Replacement? There is something wrong with the M6?? :shrug:I just bought 3 of them..:naughty:

The M6 is perfect in every way.... I love the M6....not for everyday carry but it makes me smile every time I turn it on..:twothumbs

IcantC

Enlightened
Replacement? There is something wrong with the M6?? :shrug:I just bought 3 of them..:naughty:

The M6 is perfect in every way.... I love the M6....not for everyday carry but it makes me smile every time I turn it on..:twothumbs

+1! Except, I do not have 3:broke:. I usethe FiveMega 3x17670 rechargeable option. It is great and I love it! I use it with the MN61 and is brighter than the MN21, with longer battery life!

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=192233

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=189699

I did not wait and purchased one, it is definately a great light. Brighter, smaller and lighter than my 2d ROP.

LumenMan

Enlightened
Agreed !! :thumbsup: I love my Surefire M6 with the MN21 lamps.

I was wondering what types of "mods" are available for the M6? I prefer a non-rechargeable battery system. Forgive my question, but since I'm a newbie I'm trying to soak up all of the info that's available from this great forum :D

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check what brand of 123s they are going to give you too. From what I've gathered, certain 123s perform better than others in the M6. For example, Surefire brand and Duracell Ultras work well.

I would certainly stick to SF123a in an M6. Considering the extremely high strain the cells are put under, it can be dangerous to try to save a few pennies by using cheaper brand CR123a.

Regards,
Tempest

cqbdude

Enlightened
There are many threads talking about the M6...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183072&highlight=m6+guardian

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189956&highlight=m6+guardian

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/142517&highlight=m6+guardian

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/110217&highlight=m6+guardian

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/159186&highlight=m6+guardian

Here is a nice mod...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169932&highlight=m6+guardian

These are just a few...and some that IcantC just pointed out..

I love one of mine that is running 3 x 17670 firing a MN61....
The other has a Tower Led Module and the other is running the stock MN21 with 6 x cr123.

If these theads dont make you get an M6 right now, then maybe you dont need one..

But good luck....

BTW..I didnt really need one either ,but I had to have one...if you are a flashaholic like a lot of us here, its one of the lights that is a must have..
And if you get one and decide later that you dont like it...you can resell for a pretty good price...

cqbdude

Enlightened

Patriot

Flashaholic
On ebay, you can usually find a NIB one for $310 or even a little less. Check what brand of 123s they are going to give you too. From what I've gathered, certain 123s perform better than others in the M6. For example, Surefire brand and Duracell Ultras work well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old M6 is still being sold for years to come. You can make it rechargeable several different ways. Just do a search on CPF. I chose the "buy a grunch of 123s" alternative for now.

I think the 10X is tough as nails from what I've read.

Agreed, the M6 is a great light and worth owning I just wouldn't pay $400 for it. I saw one NIB for $295 at the CPF Marketplace about two weeks ago. Of course it sold quickly but M6s under $325 are fairly common.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Beast II is built to order and can have a lead time of up to one year.
Ordered mine October of 2006 and took delivery November 2007, it was
well worth the wait.

Before procuring a Beast II, the M6's were a main staple. But the Beast II's
12 LED's, rechargeable and primary handles, amazing beam attributes, and
incredibly versatile charging system has taken me down to just 2 M6's that
don't get used much anymore.

The M6 is an amazing light. Don't worry about what's over the horizon, treat
yourself to an M6 and make certain to get a few MN15 bulbs to go with it.

Illum

Flashaholic
there will always be better lights in the future. The M6 once represented the best of Surefire. If your mind set is to get the "best/up to date light" then you'll be left with no lights and alot of frustration year after year.

Everyone needs a Surefire M series, they're just that awesome*:grin2:

*its awesomeness depends on the size of your wallet or the stock of lithiums you own. If your committed I'd suggest getting started in gathering the parts you need to turn the soon-to-be-yours M6 into a soon-to-be-yours rechargeable M6 before going out on a foggy "new moon" night and enjoy its awesomeness :)

EDIT: :party: 2ND RUN OF 3X17670 HOLDERS HAS OPENED! :party:

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6 + WA 01185 + Bi-Pin MN Socket + 3x17670 Battery Holder + 3x17670 (Pila 600S). Achieves excellent distance and flood with acceptable runtimes.

I just picked up one of the 3x17670 battery holders ...excuse me...:party::party::party:...and am trying to decide what bulb to use with it. I think I'll go with an MN61 initially, but I'd like to go with the 1185 when more of the MN bi-pin holders become available. What is the runtime with the 1185 in that config?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
1600 / 3400 = 0.47 x 60 = 28 minutes of runtime. But because the draw is slightly over 2C, I tend to burst the setup instead of allowing for continuous runs.

Last edited:

Latest posts