SF M6 - Buy now or wait for deals or replacement model?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just go buy one, or two, or three of these fine SureFire.M6s. . .Maybe, possibly the only regret is not having one. . . :wave:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
1600 / 3400 = 0.47 x 60 = 28 minutes of runtime. But because the draw is slightly over 2C, I tend to burst the setup instead of allowing for continuous runs.

Adamlau, why are you setting the Bi Pin Mn socket as a requirement for the MN61 + FM 3x17670 ? just wondering I think it is not necessary.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
...why are you setting the Bi Pin Mn socket as a requirement for the MN61 + FM 3x17670...I think it is not necessary.
Cut and paste did me in this time. You are correct, post edited to reflect the correction. :thanks:.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just go buy one, or two, or three of these fine SureFire.M6s. . .Maybe, possibly the only regret is not having one. . . :wave:

+1 . . .

and phone / email Mike at OpticsHQ.com for a great price

Wattnot

Enlightened
Which rechargeable mod matches or exceeds the stock, fresh out of the box M6 that you guys know and love so much? I'm assuming "stock" for everyone here is the 500 lumen version (the MN21 lamp?).

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wattnot

Enlightened
Of those 4 links above, only the bottom one appeals to me. The reason is that after messing with making a Mag85, I still consider it a novelty light, not for serious "bump in the night" type use. I had to futz around so much with getting the lamp to fit tightly in the socket and some other minor issues that I doubt I would take an M6 and do that type of mod to it. I'm always worried about flashing it and I'm told it only lives for 10 hours of use anyway. Doesn't sound like a scenario I want to find myself in with an M6.

The MN61, from what little I've learned poking around on SF's site, is a 350 lumen lamp. How is it beating the MN21? Are you overdriving it? What is the lamp life?

IcantC

Enlightened
Of those 4 links above, only the bottom one appeals to me. The reason is that after messing with making a Mag85, I still consider it a novelty light, not for serious "bump in the night" type use. I had to futz around so much with getting the lamp to fit tightly in the socket and some other minor issues that I doubt I would take an M6 and do that type of mod to it. I'm always worried about flashing it and I'm told it only lives for 10 hours of use anyway. Doesn't sound like a scenario I want to find myself in with an M6.

The MN61, from what little I've learned poking around on SF's site, is a 350 lumen lamp. How is it beating the MN21? Are you overdriving it? What is the lamp life?

Yes it is being overdriven, see the chart I posted above. I have that setup and can attest to it being brighter than the MN21 on 6 CR123s.

I think AdamLau posted beamshots. Oh here found it

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193060

If someoen can make an animated gif, it might be easier to see. I did notice a difference when I went outside and tried it. I rather use a SF lamp since it is easier to swap and replace.

cqbdude

Enlightened
Yes it is being overdriven, see the chart I posted above. I have that setup and can attest to it being brighter than the MN21 on 6 CR123s.

I think AdamLau posted beamshots. Oh here found it

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193060

If someoen can make an animated gif, it might be easier to see. I did notice a difference when I went outside and tried it. I rather use a SF lamp since it is easier to swap and replace.

To me...its not a big difference....I love them both...they are both really bright..

You will find yourself using your MN61 being powered by 3 17670 rechargeables more than using the MN21 with 6 CR123's.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Wow. Thanks for the link. Yes, I did read that thread not long ago but back then I didn't know what it all meant (I didn't know the lamp numbers) and now I do.

Nice. Very impressive. I see the 30 minute runtime in your chart. What is your lamp life with the 3x17670?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed surefire makes it possible to update the 6p so that it's essentially the newer LED version 6p- so is this an exeption to the rule, or does SF generally like to keep things backwards-compatible? Maybe whenever they come out with an LED guardian, they'll do the same thing for it?

BTW on that runtime/output graph, would someone explain to me why it is that all of the curves are relatively smooth, except for the mn21 on primaries? Not why it drops so quickly, but why at ~14min mark, does it immediately spike down to 10% then right back up to 70%... in seconds?!

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Just a guess - but it has been observed that the MN21 causes primaries to have thermal problems when trying to do full runs and the cells die prematurely due to heat stress - looks like the graph was stopped and restarted after the cells had cooled and recovered !

Another good reason to use rechargeables such as 3x17670 +MN61

Cheers
Pete

Wattnot

Enlightened
There is a new thread from today where a member flashed TWO expensive MN61's on 3 rested 17670's.

Yikes - ouch - ouch.

I'm going to have to sit back and :popcorn: this for a while.

BSBG

Enlightened
There is a new thread from today where a member flashed TWO expensive MN61's on 3 rested 17670's.

Yikes - ouch - ouch.

If you want to push the envelope, sometimes you have to pay the price :D. Seriously, he was quite unlucky - many others have had no problems with 3x17670 with the MN60 or 61.

Illum

Flashaholic
Hi

Just a guess - but it has been observed that the MN21 causes primaries to have thermal problems when trying to do full runs and the cells die prematurely due to heat stress - looks like the graph was stopped and restarted after the cells had cooled and recovered !

Another good reason to use rechargeables such as 3x17670 +MN61

Cheers
Pete

Seery has made a thread on driving the M6 using titanium cells and mentioned thermal shutdowns as a common occurance with "lesser" quality cells and the absence of thermal shutdowns when using surefire cells. I'm not sure whether continuously running the M6 throughout the life of its batteries was discussed during the design of the light. Though its very likely given the generous thermal estate the lamp has, I find the "thermal shutdown" to be of reassurance that there are safety features built into these cells :)

Yikes - ouch - ouch.

well, MN61s aside...I've already ordered a LF-HO-M6R to compensate. for the price of two MN61s from surefire I could've bought 3 M6R lamps from lighthound:ohgeez:

in case anyones looking for a good deal on an M6 :party:
THERES ONE IN CPFM MARKED FOR $250!

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Thanks for the link to my sales thread:grouphug: Someone should be happy.

knowing DM51s close competition with TTrans97 I sent him a PM at the same time, but since it usually takes awhile before DM51 reads it. Personally I'd buy it if I have the money. a M6 for $250 is to die for:)

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL - no competition - ttran's M6 collection is better than mine, as he has examples of all the variants.

In any case, I have just made a modest investment in a certain other piece of illumination eqpt :devil:, so I'm skint, lol, and not in the market for another M6.

Good advice above from Adamlau, Petrev and others. Wattnot, do not dismiss the 1185/3x17670 option so lightly - it is the best of the bunch, and brighter than any of the others. That makes it very good indeed.

FM should soon be releasing another run of MN bi-pin sockets, so that will be the way to go. I just hope he's making enough of them...

Edit - more on topic: purely my opinion, but I doubt we'll see any M6 incan replacement from SF at any stage, or indeed much further research at all into developing any of their incan range.

They are clearly going the LED and HID route, with the UA2 & UB2 taking over from the high end incans, and the new HIDs taking things further.

However, Size 15s is the undisputed authority on this, and he may have other (much better informed) views.

Last edited:

plasmaman

Enlightened
Everyone needs an M6!
It just handles sooooo nicely, and has one of the best reflectors (for its size) ever IMO.
The beam is just the right balance between flood and throw to make it one of the best users for every occasion.
Throw in the power/bulb combinations and it just gets better.
I run either 1185 in an FM adapter on 3S2P AW CR123's in the standard SF holder, OR (thanks to Petrev for the gizmo) 5761 in a modded MN bulbholder on 2 AW C cells without the need for an extender.
Bizarrely (must be something to do with resistance of the M6 setup), the 5761 fires up quite happily time after time and has never flashed.
Both great outputs, better runtime on the 5761/C combination.
If you are thinking about an M6 - get one and you won't regret it.
:welcome: