24v 250w 10k Lumens

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
nightstalker,

The parts aren't currently available, but the heads alone, in stock form, (not chromed) have sold for well over $300.

Those bodies are unique, too.

Bill

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first I thought it was a 3 wide stick of cells. Then I saw it was 4. I was thinking of something in the 24V range but in a tri-bore Mag. That would be a 7 cell long pack. I'm not sure you can tri-bore a 4D mag. This thing would shame even my 200W 64458 mod. It comes in around 9000+ lumens.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... this looks like it will be difficult to outdo, you seem to be pushing the limits of incandescent flashlights. You'd have to go to a ~150 watt HID to beat this thing for lumen output. Too bad there's not much of a market for those, an appropriately sized ballast could be a bit tricky to find ;)

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, lights this big are really pushing things. Not exactly practical, but they sure are impressive.

Would it really take a 150W HID to get this kind of output? I thought they were more efficient than that.

BVH

Flashaholic
Actually, about 95 Watts would probably do it with HID. The Barn Burner puts out 8000+ Lumens from 75 Watts. I believe it takes approximately 1/3 of the Wattage using HID to achieve the same brightness as incandescent.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyM said:
Yeah, lights this big are really pushing things. Not exactly practical, but they sure are impressive.

Would it really take a 150W HID to get this kind of output? I thought they were more efficient than that.
I mentioned 150 as a standard HID wattage that could beat this flashlight, figuring it would take about a 50% increase in brightness in order to have a major perceptible difference for shining it at close range like these shots. An HID somewhat under 100 watt could match it though.

Also, the difference in efficiency between incandescent and HID is a lot less when you are running bulbs so hard they have double-digit life spans. A standard 1000 hour life bulb typically manages around 20 lumens per watt, whereas this one gets about 40 by being heavily overdriven. HID bulbs usually get about 100 lumens per watt.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Melting wires

What kind of wiring do you use and what's the melting point so to speak?

I've used some cool ptfe shielded wiring years ago. VERY thin and powerful stuff.

I'm interested in your lights and if you are interested, please contact me.

George

Phaetos

Enlightened
Lessee .. he musta went outta town for a LONG time. He posted back in January he would do beamshots ... we haven't seen any since. Where are they?!?!?!?!:anyone:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lessee .. he musta went outta town for a LONG time. He posted back in January he would do beamshots ... we haven't seen any since. Where are they?!?!?!?!:anyone:

You can find the beamshots over at FF. :wave:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking aw 14500's but I have no idea where to get those specs

Li-Ions are rated for 2c Maximum current draw. 14500's are 750ma. 750ma x 2 = 1.5amps maximum draw. Your 8.5 amps shy of being able to drive a 24v 250 watt lamp.

Mac

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-Ions are rated for 2c Maximum current draw. 14500's are 750ma. 750ma x 2 = 1.5amps maximum draw. Your 8.5 amps shy of being able to drive a 24v 250 watt lamp.

Mac

That's why most very high power lights are using Nimh?

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lithium Iron Nano-Phosphate cells can handle 30C. Rated 3.4V 2.3AH. 10 amps would be no problem at all. 50+ amps is certainly possible. 10 cells can be found in a DeWalt 36V Lithium Power Tool Battery. Cells by www.A123Systems.com.

So what would you do with 36V at 50A?

-- Alan B