Ra Clicky (HDS Systems EDC) - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
[Continued from Part 9]

All,

This thread is to discuss the technical aspects of the Ra Clicky and HDS Systems EDC Executive and EDC Tactical flashlights. That includes such topics as the user interface, beam pattern, differences between models, runtime, features, survivability and such. Please stay on topic.

Henry.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Re: Ra Clicky Part 9

Best aluminum. Next titanium. Last steel.

But in a well designerd flashlight, the bezel is not relied on to carry any appreciable heat.
And all Henry's lights are well designed, so not an issue. Buy the bezel that you like the best.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened

Hurricane,

The new battery compartments are compatible with the original Ra Clicky models. You will need to swap the whole battery compartment when you have the older models.

Henry.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello!
Would like to up-grade the led in an HDS clicky,
but I'm too green to know what is best model to look for
if all I want is four light levels. The strobe,beacon,sos,etc
can stay hidden or not be there at all. Prefer
white light and about 200-225 lumens,wider beam.
Any suggestions??
Regards, Chuck :candle:

Do you mean an older HDS Systems light, or a newer one? Older ie: EDC 42/B42/B42XR/B42XRGT/B42GT or 60/U60, etc.

If it's one of the older ones, a simple swap is a Seoul P4 LED. Big upgrade in tint and efficiency from the Luxeon's. A few have been done in the Modifications subforum. Another popular, but more difficult mod is a Luxeon K2, which is still brighter, but has a tighter beam, for more throw.

jblackwood

Enlightened

Just got the new bezel down clip along with an infrared light (don't ask). My new light had two o-rings on the tailcap part (my older light, which I got back in March, only has the one oring in that section). Was I right to just take that both O-rings off, slip down the clip over the threads, and then just put the larger, thicker o-ring on top of the clip and then screw down? That's what I did with my older model and I managed to get a gap-free installation but I'm just worried about water resistance.

I love this clip. The only thing, it sticks out just a bit from the body and makes it a little painful to use my RA Clicky. Also, I ordered my light custom and it had EDS instead of RA on the bezel. I guess Henry is phazing out the RA brand (I did read that somewhere, I just didn't know when).

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened

Henry told me to remove the (1) O-ring between switch cap and battery compartment when installing the clip.

Update: Received the clip today and agree with jblackwood, why the OD of the clip does not match the body diameter escapes me. It is better than the clip my light shipped with, but could be so much better IMO.

Last edited:

callmaster

Enlightened

Looks like it's time for me to get a high CRI version :)

I haven't been using the Ti Clicky much, it's got a drain bug in it. A battery doesn't last even when the unit is switched off.

I'll have to send it in to Henry. Hell, I even have to send in the 170Cn for a firmware upgrade. Issues when it's on high mode.

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened

Henry told me to remove the (1) O-ring between switch cap and battery compartment when installing the clip.

Update: Received the clip today and agree with jblackwood, why the OD of the clip does not match the body diameter escapes me. It is better than the clip my light shipped with, but could be so much better IMO.

Well, my new one (the one I received with the shipment of the clips, one for it and one for my slightly older 100 lm, High CRI light) had two o-rings. One smaller diameter and thinner and one thicker, slightly larger diameter. I left the small one of since I didn't really see the point once the clip was in place. I tried to note where it was in the groove, it was below the larger o-ring and appeared to sit in the groove along with it.

EDIT: I'm back to using my LS20 after two days of getting skin rubbed off my fore and middle fingers. It's too bad, my Clicky was the only light that rivaled my LS20 for how well it fit in my hand while I was using it. I'll still keep the clip on since at least I'll be able to carry it reliably, but I'll only carry it when I foresee a use for strobe or high CRI applications.

Last edited:

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened

Just got my Ra EDC 120 back today, and the bezel down clip I ordered too. The new clip is great, IMO. I can finally carry my Ra now!

COAST

Enlightened

Ra Clicky Executive arrived today :). My new favorite light in general and overall. Great job HDS Systems!!!!

HDS_Systems

Enlightened

JBlackwood,

The thinner O-ring on the exterior is for aesthetics - it fills in the gap when the pocket clip is not installed and provides a nicer appearance.

Henry.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I'm happy to say that my high CRI clicky has found good duty! We just had a baby boy and he came home yesterday. Last night the wife was using the high CRI while feeding him. I haven't really customized it yet but I set it up for this duty and I think she'll really enjoy using it for taking care of Wyatt at night. Here is what I set the settings to:

Click on - 1.1 lm
Double click - 18 lm
Triple click - 70 lm
Click, PHR - 100 lm

I'm thinking about maybe activating the locator flash anyone use this function? How do you like it? She's not really into memorizing the settings and when she's feeding 18 lm from off is too bright for both me and the little one so I made it easy and went with the 1.1 lm from off and everyone is happy! I think it's cool that my wife went right to the Clicky for light instead of a lamp or going to another room. Hopefully now when I need a new HDS light, convincing the boss won't be like walking on pins and needles!

BTW does anyone know what would be a good diffuser for these lights? Currently I use a clear water bottle cap that fits nicely but something a little more refined would be cool!

r_x

Newly Enlightened

Well I'm happy to say that my high CRI clicky has found good duty! We just had a baby boy and he came home yesterday. Last night the wife was using the high CRI while feeding him. I haven't really customized it yet but I set it up for this duty and I think she'll really enjoy using it for taking care of Wyatt at night. Here is what I set the settings to:

Click on - 1.1 lm
Double click - 18 lm
Triple click - 70 lm
Click, PHR - 100 lm

I'm thinking about maybe activating the locator flash anyone use this function? How do you like it? She's not really into memorizing the settings and when she's feeding 18 lm from off is too bright for both me and the little one so I made it easy and went with the 1.1 lm from off and everyone is happy! I think it's cool that my wife went right to the Clicky for light instead of a lamp or going to another room. Hopefully now when I need a new HDS light, convincing the boss won't be like walking on pins and needles!

BTW does anyone know what would be a good diffuser for these lights? Currently I use a clear water bottle cap that fits nicely but something a little more refined would be cool!

Congrats on the little one!

I have not used the locator flash feature yet, but for a diffuser I use the Surefire F04 diffuser and it fits great on the Clicky.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

No you just have to have been lucky enough to catch the ONE that was sold on the web site that day! :naughty:

Henry put out a few in the past that were calibrated to 200cn. IIRC, Deadnuts, "Goatee", myself, and ~3 more have 'em. Also, compared to the 170 model, 30 lumens is not a big difference (i.e. 170 Lm. to 200Lm.).:grin2:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Click on - 1.1 lm
Double click - 18 lm
Triple click - 70 lm
Click, PHR - 100 lm

You might want to drop the double click level down one level, and also the triple click down to about 50 lumens, as the PHR 100 will drop down to 71 lumens in 10 seconds, and stay there.

My Hi CRI is set to about the 1.1 lm for click on, 12 lumens double click, and 50 lumens triple click.

Good advise about using the F04, which will smooth out that bright spot when feeding the baby.

Bill

Grady

Newly Enlightened

I received my Custom RA from Henry yesterday. Man what a great EDC this is going to be. It feels better in my hand than any other flashlight I have ever handled. It's just so natural feeling.
Hat's off to ya Henry............Awesome light.

CLBME

Enlightened

Hi Signalprick- Congratulations to you and your wife on the new baby! Awesome name too.

I have had my locator flash on nearly since buying my night stand light- the EDC 120. When standing on its bezel it gives off a small amount of light- definitely enough to find it but not so much as to bother at all. It's a couple of feet from my head- if that- and I've never noticed it. I think it's very useful, although I don't ever leave it on its side to flash as of course it's brighter then.

I check on my kids at night and make my bathroom trips so my EDC is set to lowest setting first. One click and I'm there. :thumbsup:

Click on - 1.1 lm
Double click - 18 lm
Triple click - 70 lm
Click, PHR - 100 lm

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received my new High CRI Clicky from Henry. As usual, shipping was blindingly fast. The light is wonderful and I'm totally sold on the color rendition of those high CRI LEDs.

I also got one of the new bezel-down clips. Since several members have asked for photos of this clip, I grabbed my camera and took a few quick shots:

RaClicky_BezelDownClip1.jpg

RaClicky_BezelDownClip2.jpg

RaClicky_BezelDownClip3.jpg

RaClicky_BezelDownClip4.jpg

The clip is nicely made and seems strong enough to be trusted with the task of holding my precious flashlight in place.
However, it seems safer to remove the clip prior to changing the battery to avoid scratching the lamp head when unscrewing it.

Thanks for the pics!! Can I borrow them for another forum??

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened

As far as making in impact such as a defensive strike, or trying to break glass in an emergency, what bezel would you guys recommend on the currently offered Ra lights?

EDIT: Okay, maybe I should re-phrase this. I know there is no "best," and all bezels are there for different reasons, and its great that Henry gives us options, something I've not seen often. However I'm trying to decide for me if the Ti is worth the upgrade. Any insights are appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.