332 Lumen AA Maglite

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the 300+ uses a heat transfer similar to the 1000 lumen MagCharger, which would allow it to stay brighter longer due to lack of heat build up causing the LED to dim.

Or perhaps added efficiency to the LED allows it to remain brighter with less voltage? Perhaps it's better regulated?

Maglite invents a lot of things not noticed by the typical consumer.

Why doesn't Maglite just fix this issue? Is it just a question of using a metal reflector? I noticed this dimming issue with my 271 Pro, although the timing of the dim down varies it's always there. I also notice that it had got warm. On the other hand, my multi mode 77 never did this dimming thing. Also, while the Pro gets quite warm on the head the 77 does not get warm at all. Of course this has something to do with the dim down. I had just purchased the O-Light key ring light and I believe even that one has some sort of heat sync and it's tiny and puts out a huge amount of light.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
??? my multi mode 77 ??
I have a 1st Gen Pro+ and the switch has always been wonky. Sometimes won't stay on, or just flashes for a moment, need to jiggle & twist the head tight off then on... Might have something to do with the orientation switch that controls hi vs lo.

I like this 35 Lm low idea. Wonder if they will send me this version if I return the wonky one.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
??? my multi mode 77 ??
I have a 1st Gen Pro+ and the switch has always been wonky. Sometimes won't stay on, or just flashes for a moment, need to jiggle & twist the head tight off then on... Might have something to do with the orientation switch that controls hi vs lo.

I like this 35 Lm low idea. Wonder if they will send me this version if I return the wonky one.

Check to see that the light is clean inside - sometimes the pill in the head get gunked up and won't move forward freely by the tail cap spring/batteries. Also check that the bare metal contact ares on the tail cap and end of the barrel are clean and that the tail cap is tight.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I happened to be in Target yesterday and went over to the light section. They had one of the new sticker 332 lumen
Pro lights in a dark silver.

Everything is is the same LED-wise. The head is different...it does not say "LED PRO" on it like my 272 lumen version does. Mine also has a strange on/off thing going on; sometimes, when the head is rotated to turn it on, it does NOT come on. Also, the 332 appears ever so slightly cooler in output.

I took photos of the emitters if you guys want to see them...

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
I happened to be in Target yesterday and went over to the light section. They had one of the new sticker 332 lumen
Pro lights in a dark silver.

Everything is is the same LED-wise. The head is different...it does not say "LED PRO" on it like my 272 lumen version does. Mine also has a strange on/off thing going on; sometimes, when the head is rotated to turn it on, it does NOT come on. Also, the 332 appears ever so slightly cooler in output.

I took photos of the emitters if you guys want to see them...

I don't think anything is different. I just received my 272 replacement light for my lost one and to my extreme disappointment the light is a cooler bluer white. Can't do a side by side as I don't have the other one. The packages are not exactly the same, but it's the same 272 rated. One of the things I liked about the one I lost was the white-white it put out. Too bad, it seems like they use different LED regardless of what the package says. LED says 016 below it.

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
Pictures are of a 272 that I purchased in 2015 (found) and one that was just recently purchased. It seems that the recent 272 as described by Frijid would be the new label 332 as it clearly has the more blue color. The brightness is almost identical.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to comment on how many people can tell the difference between 272 and 332 lumens....cuz I sure can't.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared one of the new ones to my old 272 lumen model......if you look close the new one is a tick brighter, especially in the spill and corona around the hot spot, but also much bluer. I like the old one better.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I was going to comment on how many people can tell the difference between 272 and 332 lumens....cuz I sure can't.

That's such a small jump I doubt most could see it. Malkoff jumped his M61's by 100 lumens and was just comparing them last night.you can see that one is a little brighter but you got to really look.

Found this at Walmart BriarCreek near Durham, NC.

I don't need a one level light that pumps out 332 lumens for two and a half hours. Nor do I need a one level light that pumps out 177 lumens for two hours for the same price. However, this is a big step up for Mag. I do have the new 3C ML50L and 3D ML300L. They offer three levels, very good throw, 600+ lumens and very good runtimes.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have one of them 177 lumen 2X C cells and it's not to bad decent throw and big enough for my kids not to lose it when we camp. But runtime is horrible

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
I compared one of the new ones to my old 272 lumen model......if you look close the new one is a tick brighter, especially in the spill and corona around the hot spot, but also much bluer. I like the old one better.

Yes, I agree. I like white, my old was almost exact daylight afternoon sun. When I spoke to Maglite, I mentioned that I don't like the blue tint and the woman mentioned that the higher the lumen the more white. This is not the case, actually it's the opposite.

maglite mike

Enlightened

I don't need a one level light that pumps out 332 lumens for two and a half hours. Nor do I need a one level light that pumps out 177 lumens for two hours for the same price. However, this is a big step up for Mag. I do have the new 3C M50LT and 3D M300LT. They offer three levels, very good throw, 600+ lumens and very good runtimes.
The ML 25 now has hi and low with significantly extended run times and mini mag pro plus is 351 lumen on high and long run time on low ,they have both been recently updated.

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened

I don't need a one level light that pumps out 332 lumens for two and a half hours. Nor do I need a one level light that pumps out 177 lumens for two hours for the same price. However, this is a big step up for Mag. I do have the new 3C M50LT and 3D M300LT. They offer three levels, very good throw, 600+ lumens and very good runtimes.
Everyone likes different things.. I like a very compact light that puts out plenty of it. You can't easily fit the 3 C or the 3 D in your pocket. Of course I carry around a 3 D in my car just in case I have to see something really far away, but 90% of the time throw of the mini is just fine.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Must be losing it! Just noticed that I committed on this in the other thread. You know your a flashaholic when!!!! 😂😂😂

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My local Wal Mart finally got a few 332's in. A display box for 12 and I got the last one in gray. There were two black ones but my first minimag was gray so my first LED minimag is too. Wasn't a sticker over the 272.

IMG-20190421-160915.jpg

The Energizers will be used for testing lights.
Rayovac Fusions went in once it was opened.
The sheath was used for a triple a minimag.

Definitely brighter than my 1990's minimag.

Oh, I bought a little Gerber while there. It's like a modern day version of a Shrade folder.

Last edited:

syga

Newly Enlightened
A good thing about this style of AA maglite is that its easy to clean.

I get a lot of oil and grease on my Maglite at work. I just stand it up on its tail cap and spray it down with brake cleaner without getting any on the lens. It comes out squeaky clean.

On other lights, the oil or brake cleaner will get onto the rubber switch cover and likely degrade/damage it.

Also on ebay, theres a seller that has lenses for the AA for cheap. I bought several in the past and replace them when needed, I still have a lot left over.

Is there any other light that has a replaceable lens?