4Sevens Preon ReVO 1xAAA (XP-E R2) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ...that DOES make sense, and explains A LOT. Shame too; I loved the looks and feel of the light, but the PWM flickering of mine was almost intolerable!

PJD

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
Thanks for another great review!

:twothumbs

Could anyone please share a side by side picture with the MiNi CR2 and/or Fenix E01?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Could anyone please share a side by side picture with the MiNi CR2 and/or Fenix E01?

I added a few extra lights to the picture:
DSC_4286.jpg

DSC_4287.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by Batang Regla on 12-22-2010 03:20 PM GMT

Hi Selfbuilt,

I saw at 4sevens the new revo ss s2.

Comparing it with an preon 1 titanium s2, is the difference the revo being ss and preon 1 titanium or is there much more ?
Written by Ice on 12-23-2010 06:20 AM GMT

As you can easily see on 4Seven's homepage the "Preon 1" has a completely different body than the "Preon ReVO"...

Preon 1: smooth surface

Preon1_Ti_small.jpg

Preon ReVO: knurled body

ReVO_SS_small.jpg
Written by selfbuilt on 12-23-2010 08:50 AM GMT

Ice said:
As you can easily see on 4Seven's homepage the "Preon 1" has a completely different body than the "Preon ReVO"...
Yes, and quite a different circuit. I particular like the apparent current-control nature of the ReVo (i.e. no PWM). Yes, and quite a different circuit. I particular like the apparent current-control nature of the ReVo (i.e. no PWM).
Written by carrot on 12-23-2010 08:52 AM GMT

selfbuilt said:
Yes, and quite a different circuit. I particular like the apparent current-control nature of the ReVo (i.e. no PWM).
It also should be noted for interested parties that the Preon ReVO is NOT to be used with Lithium Ion (10440) cells. You WILL burn it out! It also should be noted for interested parties that the Preon ReVO is NOT to be used with Lithium Ion (10440) cells. You WILL burn it out!

On the other hand, the Preon 1 can be used with 10440 just fine.
Written by Batang Regla on 12-23-2010 04:49 PM GMT

Thanks to you ice, selfbuilt and carrot.

Will buy the revo ss s2.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The thread discussions have been partially restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!).

Unfortunately, I could only track down search engine cache data for original p.3 (i.e. posts after Dec 12, 2010). Anything posted between Nov 6, 2010 and Dec 12, 2010 has been lost. If you happen to have cache data over that time, please let me know and I will re-post.

Please carry on! :)

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tested the waterproofness of the ReVO? Can it handle being dunked in water?

The official specs state: "The ReVO meets the IPX-8 waterproof standard of 10 meters for 30 minutes".

But it would be nice to know if anyone has any real life results.

Recently picked one up over at the Marketplace, should be here soon.:)

Thanks

Samy

Enlightened
I was going to a buy a coupe of these for christmas presents but they no longer make them. I guess I'm going to have to buy some Klarus X6's now as there doesn't seem to much else in this type of light. Please 4Sevens bring back the Revo!!!

Cheers

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my SS versions went through the heavy wash cycle with a double rinse and spin with no operational or noticeable moisture problems. It has also survived downpours and being dropped in mud puddles. A rinse under the tap was all it took to clean it off.

Edit: Samy, the Karus is an obvious rip off of the Revo as is some of it's other designs. I too would like to see the return of the Revo.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my SS versions went through the heavy wash cycle with a double rinse and spin with no operational or noticeable moisture problems. It has also survived downpours and being dropped in mud puddles. A rinse under the tap was all it took to clean it off.

Edit: Samy, the Karus is an obvious rip off of the Revo as is some of it's other designs. I too would like to see the return of the Revo.
Thanks Unforgiven, thats the kind of answer I was hoping to hear.

BTW, I'm still curious if Klarus actually copied/bought the design/electronics of the ReVO or did they actually make it for 4sevens.
When the company Klarus first came out they mentioned they had been making lights for other companies prior to releasing their own lights.

I was going to pick up a Klarus X6 Ti version but just saw Selfbuilt's review of it and it didn't do so good on an Energizer Lithium which would be my intended power source. Otherwise, with alkaline and NiMH, the runtimes were the similar to the ReVO.

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
Purely speculative post deleted - Norm

Last edited by a moderator: