Roar of the Pelican - Lithium Edition (LE)?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Occasionally I get tired of carrying the Big Stick (4D ROP) around, even though runtime is awesome and the light output is, in a nutshell, stunning. For those who haven't heard, the ROP is a Pelican Big D SLA bulb in a 4D Maglite. 6V 24W overdriven like crazy, 7.2V (8.4V peak) high-current Sub-C stick. Runtime ~50min.

So I'm looking for a way to put it on a diet, and I think I've found that way.

Take ROP front end, reflector, borofloat etc.etc.etc. and place in 2C Maglite. Stuff two 18650 lithium ions in the back with a nominal 2200maH rating. This will only discharge them at slightly below 2C, which is safe for lithium ions. Light and go. ~25 minute runtime, 1/4th the weight, same output.

I've considered other candidates such as the WA1111, but it doesn't seem to deliver the same barn burning performance as the Pelican 24W bulb. Every time I look around, it keeps coming back to the same thing - the Pelican 24W delivers the best performance in its voltage class for the amount of power it draws.

The advantage of a 1111-based design is that I get to use the Kiu bipin socket, supposedly realizing an efficiency increase, but others tell me that the MagC switch is substantially more robust than the MagD switch and the efficiency gains are not as considerable.

What do you guys think? It should be pretty darn sweet to fire up the ROP in a lithium configuration that's light enough to wear on a belt :D

mateen

Enlightened
:popcorn:

Perfect timing as I was just about to start grabbing parts for a ROP build. I think the LE version would be even nicer!

I will be watching this space...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can easily confirm the stability of the 24w 6v Pelican Lamp. I, myself put together a ROP using the 4D M@G as the host. I first bought a Sub-C Batt Stick using their "Basher Cells" from CheapBatteryPack. I like the results so much I invested in another stick this time using the IB3800 Sub-C's. I use this setup to run my dogs on wooded acreage and it works out great, nice clean bright white light.

I am in it for the runtime...

Dave

juancho

Enlightened
I did that Kevin, but the PROTECTED 18650 don't light up the WA 01111 or the WA 01160 because the current draw is too much and the protection keeps shutiing them down.

So I imagine you are talking about un protected 18650, with such batteries will probably can use also WA 01274, as well as the WA01111 and the 01160.

But we have to let people know about the dangers of running two Li Ion unprotected in series.

Juancho

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Dukester.

We had an operational problem remembering the password to Brightguy.

Anybody know of another source?

BOT

Sounds like a fine idea, Kevin. Yeah. LE.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, SLA bulb and two unprotected 18650s. I was just going to mention to someone else that there's no way the protection circuit on these will light.

You must also take care to buy the highest capacity 18650s you can get your hands on. MINIMUM 2200mAH is good, because that's the only way they'll be able to withstand a 4-amp drain (slightly below 2C). I just picked up my 2400s today, that should be discharging them at around 1.7C, still within the safe limit. LG Chem cells, the Good Stuff(tm).

Two-in-series dangers are most definitely present, but I run my high powered Surefires that way all the time. It takes tremendous discipline to shutdown the MOMENT the light dims. Always carry a backup light when using these ultra high powered incans, or stick to NiMH (ROP 2D with 24W bulb - six CBP1650s in holders). For the price of a slightly bigger light you need not deal with the issues of lithium ion, but I want the smallest, lightest configuration I can possibly get. The lithiums provide 10-15 minutes more runtime than the CBP1650s, too!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get them from 4sevens if he's still selling them, maybe drop him a PM and ask. Yes, they are equivalent to AW's cells.

XenonM3

Enlightened
Just found out about this thread.

I am planning to quickly mod my new 6C M*glite by using 6 C size NiMh batteries and popping in maybe this ROP 24W bulb, ofcourse I will be using a glass lens and metal reflectors.

What do you guys think about my battery setup? will it be enough?

:thanks: for any advice.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
XenonM3 said:
oh and their is two kinds of Pelican big D xenon lamps I think, 1 is for lead acid and 1 is for Nicad, which one should I use with my NiMh?

Use the lead acid variety to reach an overdrive situation. Using the Nicad will also be bright, but not the screamer discussed here.

Hey, to be different, I'm overdriving my Pelican Big D bulb in a... Pelican Big D! Heretic, I know, but I like the form factor, and it can handle lots of abuse. Add in recharging internally and perpetually due to the Nicad D batts... The 4" reflector makes it a throw monster.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Maybe this has been discussed before elsewhere but could not find it. . .So can the ROP be had utilizing the Mag 3D or MagCharger with extended runtime and bright high-output light?

Any information would be most helpful. Please advise and thanks!