A Controversial Possibly Incendiary Point Of View

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original tactical flashlight meant you could signal or morse code with it.

thanks for the very interesting historical perspective

the RRT-01 has built in SOS... Ive never understood why,
Now it makes more sense
SOS is Tactical :)

that "tactical" button for me meant being able to turn off my lights at night instantly without a *click* sound
beautiful photo, and thanks for the undercover details

Not giving away your position by using a silent switch, is Tactical :)

The dial on the RRT-01 is silent.
Silence is Tactical :)

Since RRT-01 has morse code, a silent dial, and direct access to maximum, it would seem it is Tactical :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It sounds like JetBeam has done what First Light did by inovating some tactical ideas into a daily carry sized flashlight.

First Light with the Torque and Tomahawk, JetBeam with the RRT01(2020).

Now a famous member here once asked "what difference does a silent switch make, because turning the light on gives away your position"……

A tactical feature many (even) tactical lights don't incorparate is the beam starting forward of the user. In other words the torsoe of the user is not lit by the users light because the beam of light appears a few feet from the user. Set your light on a table for example and see if the frustrom shape begins at or near the light or is there a gap between the light and the beam.

IMG_20190607_211618.jpg

Lights setting on a 6" high bowl
Note edge of the bowl is lit by light in the top photo.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS has the same feature. You can leave the dial in any position, and use the tailswitch to turn on and off at that level. This is essentially a Last Mode Memory feature.

if you dont want to use the Last Mode Memory feature on the 2020 RRT-01, then you could just leave the tailswitch ON all the time, and use only the control ring to ramp up to whatever level you need at the time, and dial down to the minimum detente after each use.

I have no surefire experience, so without links and photos, I dont know what youre talking about, but it sounds way too complicated, and Im totally confused.

a true tactical light has only ONE mode, and always, always, always, works exactly the same way. Imo half presses are not tactical.. fine motor skills are lost under stress. And IMO, a true tactical has ONLY momentary on, while pressing the switch.. if you drop the light, it turns off, so as not to give away your position. (sounds ridiculous, I know, now youre in the dark, and cant see your light on the ground)

extra credit quiz:
What does the acronym RRT stand for?;-)

I can't recall... does the rotary have a setting that is off on the tail cap? My complaint is that there are times that the switch is pressed and nothing happens:hairpull::nana:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are times that the switch is pressed and nothing happens
does not sound normal unless
could it be that the light turns on too dim for you to notice?

I dont have experience with your 2020 model

question
when the light is woking, and you dial down the control ring to minimum, is the LED producing any visible light?

my RRT-01 produces No Visible light with the control ring at minimum, so if it had a tailswitch, it would still produce no visible light, until I rotate the control ring to a higher brightness level

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

It's only a matter of time some manufacturer will Trademark a 'Stealth Flashlight'
..later on they'll try and define//figure out what that actually means.:thinking:

Yes, there will be wingnuts who'd buy into that.

MMMMMMarketing!!!!!!!!

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
well Actually!... I do have a Stealth break-glass tail cap on my 6D maglite :D it`s like a regular break glass tailcap but it also has a cap over it so that it looks like a normal maglite end cap.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
well Actually!... I do have a Stealth break-glass tail cap on my 6D maglite :D it`s like a regular break glass tailcap but it also has a cap over it so that it looks like a normal maglite end cap.

+

Imagine having two 6D Mags. in holsters.

Some kind of a stealthy, wild west exercise on the highlands

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Yeah "tactical" Is just a worn out over used marketing buzzword that has lost any real meaning like "new & Improved" or "now with 10% more unicorn & pixie dust".
Can't wait for marketing Dept's to over use and ruin yet another word.

I'll be over here In the corner In my "tactical" underwear, eating a "tactical banana" and using my "tactical phone".
Someone just make It stop..."tactically" of course.:shakehead

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical is not a marketing buzzword. You're confusing an actual word of the English language with something else. "HD" and "Xtreme" are marketing buzzwords. "think outside the box" is a marketing buzzphrase. Tactical lights should have one mode of operation only. I think most people used to agree on this obvious concept, but as more and more people get lights with complicated, useless or confusing UI's they feel the need to defend it.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I can find many crapo one mode lights that momentary. Are they tactical?

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical means nothing. Most people are going to crap their pants in any real "tactical" situation. Another thing.......While people are trying to get in their "tactical strobe" mode because they don't have any real means to protect themselves the bad guy has already done/figured out what he wants to do. I hate seeing people talk about needing a "tactical strobe" on this board. One mode only in stress inducing situations is the way to go. I'm like ampdude, that used to be a universal truth.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Tactical can have many forms as "tactics" vary.
In combination with a firearm is one approach. In use for stealth is another. Night time hazard searching for example would use as wide of a beam as possible but also a forward throw in order to identify potential "booby traps" from as far away or as close as possible.

A tactical light with adjustable output makes it possible to increase lifespan of a fuel source and/or reduce how far away the bad guy can see it from. Colored filters like red or green can help there. Yet blue for example can help find an injured comrad or one that got away by highlighting blood drops.

Crenalted bezels are thought to be for inflicting wounds and some are. But they also allow a light to be placed bezel down, which provides some side lighting for reading a map while not giving away a position. That's why some switches are silent or quiet as well. Say you need to read a map in the jungle, so you put your jacket over you like a tent to block all outgoing light but the loud "click" is not a sound of nature so it has the potential to signal the enemy you are nearby despite them not seeing you.

There are all kinds of tactic capable lighting tools on the market these days. There are many approaches to their abilities too. Some are specialized, some are not. Yet there are many that are absolute junk labeled as tactical. So let John Q McNeighbor think the Kung Pow Navy SEAL approved light is as awesome as they say on tv but those trained for low light "tactics" understand which lighting tool they'd trust their life with. Most would pick something with as many mechanical parts as practical with as few options as practical. Nowadays the LED technology makes dropping the light less likely to fail than during the light bulb days.

But the thing that matters most is how robust it is regardless of any other options.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Keep thinking about the 6D Mag. with a glass breaker/demolition tail.

Is it me, or is that about as stealthy as a jack hammer used to pick a lock.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical can have many forms as "tactics" vary.

Crenalted bezels are thought to be for inflicting wounds and some are. But they also allow a light to be placed bezel down, which provides some side lighting for reading a map while not giving away a position.

But the thing that matters most is how robust it is regardless of any other options.

Point 1. That's why tactical is really a useless word, tactical means something different to everyone. I just wish people would realize 17 strobes is not their friend

Point 2. I mentioned this in another thread somewhere in the forum and was replied to like I was an alien. I'm glad you mentioned using bezels in this way.

Point 3. Not if it doesn't have 17 strobes and omgwtfpewpewlazarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ability. : D

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my tactical lights to have a sharp point likes a glass breaker...so I can throw it at someone when the light doesn't work...does that make it prac-tactical? Would work in stressful situations also to break things out of frustration...

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I can find many crapo one mode lights that momentary. Are they tactical?

Well, this should be obvious to you. How many lumens does the light put out? What is the quality? Is it built out of plastic and came with 2 carbon zinc batteries from the grocery store? If so it probably won't be hanging off the end of a SWAT weapon. How tactical it is depends on the end user viewpoint and needs.

You can call anything what you want. A 2D grocery store light can be used tactically. My point was "tactical" is an actual word. And it should be used to describe lights with certain features, like one mode only. But there's always room for disagreement with people who want to "tactically" use their light to set up an S.O.S. signal in some random place.

It's just stupid to go down the route where a word can mean anything. Then nobody understands what the hell is going on.

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread has gone a tad awry :p I apologize for my part in that.

Speaking of marketing, I should don my "copper laced" undies, grab my "titanium" infused skillet and get all "tacitical" with my "HD" sunglasses. :grin2: