A Controversial Possibly Incendiary Point Of View

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread has gone a tad awry :p I apologize for my part in that.

Speaking of marketing, I should don my "copper laced" undies, grab my "titanium" infused skillet and get all "tacitical" with my "HD" sunglasses. :grin2:

There ya go! Titanium is an actual metal though. :) Not a marketing thing.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
fsGSqLTl.png

JETBeam RRT01 Raptor 2020 edition
when you press a switch that is mean to turn the light on, it should turn the light on

the 2020 RRT-01 does turn on with the tailswitch, at whatever dial position you have selected

therefore, IF you dial down to invisible light, the switch will turn off and on with no visible light. You could say it is Tactical, in that it wont give away your position, and you can dial up the minimum amount of light needed.

otoh, IF you dial up to maximum, the switch will turn on and off, at maximum. You could say that is Tactical too.. lets you blind your imaginary opponent.

Here is a video of a 2020 RRT-01 showing no light, with the switch on, and the dial at minimum.. it is a Feature, not a Bug.. LOL

https://youtu.be/mf6R6_xt_s0?t=675

yeah but, is it TactiCool? ;-)

Sure it is.. watch
here is how to turn a 2019 RRT-01 on and off, one handed
(there is no tail switch, just the dial)
https://youtu.be/em8jOQYU17I?t=139

clipped to a back pocket, I can draw, fire, and reholster, very very fast ;-)
my grip naturally puts the control ring in my fingers during presentation.

The motion is a single action, consistently repeatable, totally controllable, never a surprise output, always ramps the same, and no Accidental Disharges.

Also no need to be trained in multi click codes. The UI is so intuitive, even a child can figure it out, without a manual, and without instruction.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not own any 2019 nor 2020 models, those are not my videos. And the photo of the two RRT-01 are a screen shot from the first video. I only added the labels, and hosted the edited image on my photo site, so as not to break any anti hotlinking rules here on CPF.

Im playing with a TCR-1 atm.. I cannot feel the detents and it does not matter because the dial has sufficient damping that it cannot turn unintentionally..

A detente is needed if the factory lubrication is so thin that the dial turns too easily. I dislike easy turning dials. I want them to move only when I deliberately rotate the dial. Not just at the slight tap of a single finger.

The good news is that the 2019 and 2020 RRT-01 can be disassembled for control ring repacking, without needing to unsolder and remove the LED star, nor driver, (both steps required for the earlier models).

These inexpensive hosts can be transformed to feel like a Nikon lens, when lubricated with Nyogel 767a. The feeling of a properly packed control ring is luxurious. The feeling of a poorly lubricated ring, is more like a cheap, sloppy, toy.

I actually dislike strong detentes, and prefer the control ring to rotate smoothly, with constant pressure. I dont like having to break the detente loose, the extra force tends to make me overshoot when dialing up from the lowest levels.

public service tips in the care and feeding or RRT-01

1. after ramping up to desired brightness, I make it a habit to always dial down, just a little, for efficiency.

I also dial down to reverse the direction of lumen drift as RRT-01 are not regulated output. I use that fact to monitor my battery charge. When the light seems dim, it means the battery needs charging..

2. I NEVER tailstand the light on maximum.. leads to overheating, dead driver, or dead battery, or burned fingers..

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a tactical umbrella. Seriously.

It's one of those fold up jobbys that you push a button to deploy it. Remove the little screw on cap, push the button and POW! Instant dna sampler, eye gouger, kubatan, and with the wrist strap a nunchuk.

No strobe so I suppose it's just tacticool?

9-D1-B1-D61-2-D3-E-40-EB-98-D3-3-DCE37019-F3-E.jpg

Looks harmless enough

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Suppose there's a little photo cell in the handle ^

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The explanation is very simple:

Someone misread the description of a light years ago that said "Tactile On/Off switch" then repeated it to someone else as a Tactical Switch,
then that someone repeated it to someone else.
Now multiply that by about 5,000,000.

You now have a Tactical Switch.

case closed.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told a freind not long ago you could ask 1000 CPF'rs to take a 10 mile hike across the desert, and you couldn't get 5 to agree on cantine size, then 976 of those disagreeing with the roster of available cantine sizes weren't going on the hike anyway. :whistle:

So, so good.....and so true. Once in a while you come up with a real hum-dinger, and you were definitely cookin' on the front burner that day!

By the way, at least half of those 976 don't even go hiking at all and probably never have:)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
DD632-BA1-668-E-4-C6-C-8589-6-F30-A8-DEF89-E.jpg

My tactical bird Maglite attacking the camera.
Part burglar alarm, part attack dog, part annoying to the point a burglar would say "never mind, that sqwaking bird is driving me nuts". He's the junkyard dog of the bird world at 4am.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

still good when the powers out

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Byk,

Maglite with his orange headlight is cool, he looks inquisitive.. Is he trained to sit on your shoulder like Long John Silver?

Although, from other birds I've seen perched on folks you'll need a change of t-shirts :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
He's trained himself to attack my ears KG. He's bipolar it seems. One minute he's mumbling all happy-like as he walks around my head and shoulders and like a hamster, out of nowhere he goes into Kujo mode. Yikes.
I wear a stocking cap, gloves, and long sleeves when handling him so that when he feels the need to release some angst I don't bleed as much.

And yes works even when the power is out.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
- He's bipolar it seems. .

+

Bipolar bird, that's one of the funniest things I'v ever read.:kiss::crackup:

Instead of your vet prescribing psychotropic compounds for your bird,, just get a grainy vhs tape of Videodrome & play it at night for him with the sound off.
In just a few days he'll be much better.

hehehe