A flashlight of your dream!

soul347

Newly Enlightened
It would be really cool to see a flashlight like a predator pro, where programming is done not through the light itself but by connecting it to a computer and programming through a user friendly software.

roadrave

Newly Enlightened
Size and dimensions of the Predator. Easy and customizable UI via USB-port. Via computer and account on the ArmyTek website, you can change your UI. Log in, select your light, website detects flashlight and then you can customize the UI like you want to. No twisting and clicking needed. XM-L2 led, Smooth reflector, IP68, (real)thick body and head, led on copper, optional extension for 2x 18650 or 4x CR123, red blinking indicator(which you can turn off) to locate rear clicky switch, min 0.01 - max 1100 lumens.

It would be really cool to see a flashlight like a predator pro, where programming is done not through the light itself but by connecting it to a computer and programming through a user friendly software.

A Predator Pro with USB or wireless connectivity and a PC suite or Android app. With drop down menus to change all the modes, instead of the twisty/clicky madness. I'd buy that!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading about RGB light sabers that handled programming by removable SD card... I guess the only issue with the current Predator programming is all you've got is a switch and head tight or head loose. SD card would put the interface on another device so reduced complexity.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cross between an HDS and FourSeven Quarks - Programable mode spacing/UI and build quality of an HDS crossed with the wide voltage support and Lego-ability of Quarks. A U.S. warranty and customer service worthy of either company too ;).

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'd like to see is a single-cell, current controlled, AAA/10440 (1v-4.2v), EDC with RGB power LED with infinitely variable color, infinitely variable brightness, in solid copper. No quantum tunnelling, just use the tech that's in regular dimmer switches.

The interface would be simple in that a circular (doughnut-shapped) switch would be invisibly built-in to the head: compress head (click) to turn on, and head twists for infinitely variable intensity (from no output to max output). Compress head, (click and hold) and twist for access to (reasonably) infinitely variable color in the visible spectrum (no UV) using color-combination tricks of voltages applied to the different Red, Green and Blue elements. Compress head again to turn off, or just turn the intensity down to minimum (no output) to carry as a twisty. The quality of the color light output will of course have some limitations, but I'm certain a one of a kind model like this would rocket off your shelves. Good luck!

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see the programmable interface of their lithium-ion lights, but in a 1xAA or 2xAA battery format. I'm an Eneloop fan, and don't like lithium-ion. Given other companies success with very bright 1xAA lights, I see no reason to use low power as an excuse to avoid AA designs.

And made in the USA would be nice. :twothumbs

If we are going into that, I will point out that the Armytek factory is in China. In my experience, Armytek's fit and finish is definitely better than some of the Chinese companies...but ALL of the actual production is in China. Just a matter of staying on top of things, and demanding quality. China is certainly capable of making excellent products...in some areas, their manufacturing abilities are second to none.

The whole "made in USA" thing is really counter-productive, and comes from people who clearly don't understand how trade works. All you're doing when you buy a more expensive or poorer quality "made in USA" product, is encouraging bad and inefficient companies to survive, while discouraging innovation. This not only hurts your pocketbook, but also your economy.

When you buy something made in China, you give them US dollars for it. The only thing they can do with those dollars, is turn around and buy a US product or service. The money comes back, but it goes to productive and efficient US companies.

If you buy an overpriced made in US product (just because of patriotism), all you're doing is making yourself poorer, and making your economy less competitive.

So, I'll add...

And made in China would be nice. :twothumbs

soul347

Newly Enlightened
Expanding on the whole PC software/cell phone app programmable light theme: wouldn't it be amazing if the flexibility was limitless? Like a light where you could completely choose how many modes, the output of each mode, how to get into the modes, etc. Essentially, you could have a flashlight with a single output on max. Or you could take the exact same light and give it 5 evenly spaced modes + strobe, then choose how each mode is accessed. This kind of flexibility would be amazing, especially since many people have different needs, and sometimes we want to use the same flashlight but for a different scenario. Some people like really basic lights with one or 2 modes, others like a whole host of output modes.

On another note, I'd love a headlamp like the armytek wizard pro that has a quick release feature, allowing you to easily remove the light from the head strap so it can conveniently turn into a handheld light then it can be snapped back into the headstrap on the go. Also a headstrap where the top piece can be easily removed or added.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
The ability to program without lighting candles, chanting, sacrificing small animals... :) Via USB after downloading your program, allowed by entering the light's serial number, or something like TnC's flashing screen with the tailcap by it would be great. I'm all for the ability to adjust in the field, on the fly, etc. but some have become way too complex. And heaven forbid you own more than one manufacturer's lights that can be programmed on the go! I need a book on how to use the book sometimes. Wide voltage range, sub-lumen available, don't try to make one do-everything light. Inevitably some things don't work as well as intended.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the Wizard pro accept,
1) Make it an OTF instead of right angle
2) Change the moonlight mode to the extra low of the Tiara A1 pro
3) SCREW ON POCKET CLIP instead of clip on.

D6859

Enlightened
Expanding on the whole PC software/cell phone app programmable light theme: wouldn't it be amazing if the flexibility was limitless? Like a light where you could completely choose how many modes, the output of each mode, how to get into the modes, etc. Essentially, you could have a flashlight with a single output on max. Or you could take the exact same light and give it 5 evenly spaced modes + strobe, then choose how each mode is accessed. This kind of flexibility would be amazing, especially since many people have different needs, and sometimes we want to use the same flashlight but for a different scenario. Some people like really basic lights with one or 2 modes, others like a whole host of output modes.

+1. Also, if the light could work as a usb memory stick and you could simply replace a file in it to change its UI (if no file found the light would use some default settings). USB recharge would come naturally. The file could be done with web based application or with a software installed on your computer. You should be able to define number of modes, output level for the modes, actions for different triggers (click, double click, click+hold...), which modes to cycle and so on

On another note, I'd love a headlamp like the armytek wizard pro that has a quick release feature, allowing you to easily remove the light from the head strap so it can conveniently turn into a handheld light then it can be snapped back into the headstrap on the go. Also a headstrap where the top piece can be easily removed or added.

+1 for this too! And if you could change the tailcap in Tiara A1. I haven't figured out any reason it should be so big nor how to remove the light from its holder without taking the tailcap off. I broke the first holder I had even though I took the tailcap off first. Second holder I have has a scar on it already from a few removals.

Thank you for hearing us!

radiopej

Enlightened
The interface of the Olight M20 is virtually perfect. Memory for whatever mode (I'd set it to low), but with instant high a double click away, and strobe by either the side button from off or a triple click.

The changes I'd make would be:
Neutral white emitter, preferably with nice colour rendition. No green.
Tailstanding capability
Nice and thin flip down diffuser
~900 lumens on highest (brighter would be cool)
Moonlight mode (0.1-0.5 lumens)
Waterproof to 3 metres
Crenellated bezel
Reversible belt clip
Anti-roll/grip ring
2x CR123/ 1x 18650
At least 1.5 hours on highest
At least 8 hours on 200 lumens
Drop-proof to 2 metres.
Ideally the size of a Surefire 6P, or no bigger than the Fenix PD32UE, with some nice heat sinking in the head.

I love the idea of the a computer customisable UI, but worry about PWM. If it's high enough that my phone camera doesn't pick it up I'm fine.

As an added bonus, a single tritium vial to find it at night.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole "made in USA" thing is really counter-productive, and comes from people who clearly don't understand how trade works.....

If you buy an overpriced made in US product (just because of patriotism), all you're doing is making yourself poorer, and making your economy less competitive.

Your assumptions are incorrect. My preference is to buy American when possible, often it isn't so I don't.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I have posted this in the past but what I really need is...
An 18650/cr123 flashlight with a nice throw beam reflector in the normal spot up top, and a side led headlamp with a wide beam on the side of the same body. The side led need not have a reflector at all. I would be able to pack the light with a compact headband and have an all in one light. A pocket clip that allowed me to put it in a shirt pocket and use the "headlamp" side led. for working on things close up and a magnetic tail cap option would be nice options. I could live with one or two switches so long as I had both options for lighting depending on what I was doing. a few nice output levels for each led and I'm happy.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwahaha even in a thread where we merely post our personal dreams, it still ends up hurting each others' butts

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Dear friends!

No matter where you use your flashlight, you just want it to be reliable. So you understand the value of a good quality light in times of need. Armytek Team is gathering information about the most important factors while choosing a flashlight.

DSC_0530.jpg

Describe a flashlight of your dream! :)

P.S. After a discussion we will make an infographics including the main features of a perfect flashlight that you can use during your work, hobbies or other every day activities!​

The MOST important factor?

Make us a light with a self-rechargeable battery!

Don't scoff, they killed the person who invented such a battery. So reconstruct/reverse engineer it.

In the alternative, then give us a light that recharges itself by attracting the electricity surrounding the earth to it, the same way Tesla powered a vehicle and other devices.

All has been amply documented in Tesla's and others' work.

From there, the rest is cake and you'll have more than enough money to make any design, implement any feature.

You see, once you apply suppressed inventions to flashlights, you'll rule the flashlight world.

And isn't that what you ultimately want? =:D

LetThereBeLight!

"Flashaholics of the world: UNITE!"

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ability to program without lighting candles, chanting, sacrificing small animals... :) Via USB after downloading your program, allowed by entering the light's serial number, or something like TnC's flashing screen with the tailcap by it would be great. I'm all for the ability to adjust in the field, on the fly, etc. but some have become way too complex. And heaven forbid you own more than one manufacturer's lights that can be programmed on the go! I need a book on how to use the book sometimes.

I'm okay with complex programming, and I want to be able to do it using only the light. I don't want to have to rely on a computer to program it.

I'm probably only going to program it once, so needing documentation to do it is okay. Once it is set up the way I want it, there's no need to reprogram it.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm okay with complex programming, and I want to be able to do it using only the light. I don't want to have to rely on a computer to program it.

I'm probably only going to program it once, so needing documentation to do it is okay. Once it is set up the way I want it, there's no need to reprogram it.

What's wrong with USB or Removable SD as an option plus "the old way?" Have both?

If you leave the battery out long enough, thought the Predators lost programming? Mine has.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's wrong with USB or Removable SD as an option plus "the old way?" Have both?

Extra cost in development and manufacturing, mostly. Also, issues with waterproofing.

Do we really need a computer to program a flashlight? How often are you going to do that? If it's more than once a year, that probably means the programming isn't flexible enough to allow you to program the light the way you really want it. That's the real issue, not the complexity of the programming.

If you leave the battery out long enough, thought the Predators lost programming? Mine has.

Really? I thought that stuff was stored on an eprom or static memory. I guess I never leave batteries out of my programmable lights very long.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see losing programming as a safety issue if you've configed it to run one of the different chems/regulations/configurations.

Also, expecting one thing and getting another during serious business easily has consequences.

With the removable card method, it's non-volatile. You can easily copy the cards, download the new hotness across the web, and so forth.

As far as waterproofing, I've seen a method where you keep unscrewing the head to reveal the ports. Forget what light that was. I'm not sure it's going to be all that big a deal, technically.

As far as how often will we program it? Hobbyists and enthusiasts will sit there and jack with it OCD-style for kicks. LEO/MIL will figure out specific requirements and implement them. Labelled card swap allows flexibility and reduced amount of gear, as in not needing 4 light bodies but one. Plus, it'll be a whole lot faster than a click twist frenzy.

Last edited:

Latest posts