• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Additional 'O ring lube information for our lights

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Additional \'O ring lube information for our lights

As anyone who has read any of my previous posts knows, I am anal when it comes to smooth operation of threads that have to move for switch activation.
To get good and smooth operation there are a number of factors.
Yes the threads need to be accurately machined and the 'O' rings registered correctly with the correct clearance.
However it is this 'O' ring clearance that causes us some grief. Its a compromise between water exclusion and smooth turning for easy switch activation.
Designers do their best, but you can have the smoothest turning threads but still have a switch that is stiff to turn easily due to the lack of 'O' ring lube or the wrong type.
90% of manufacturers of 'O' rings recommend some sort of silicon lube and in many cases this is cheap and works well.
However it does not work so well for situations when the 'O' ring has to move,as in Aleph and PD threads.
An application of silicone grease seems to work for 24 hours and then it starts to dry out and gets stiffer with time.
I have found Teflon plumbers tape to work well on threads so I decided to try some Teflon grease on the 'O' rings.
Teflon has no solvent so it can not be dissolved, evaporated or washed off. A very small application on any 'O' ring gives amazing results.
So for you enthusiasts and collectors that don't use a light every day , check out this stuff

Link to Teflon grease
Its expensive, but so are all good things.

Oh yes.....I have a set of pure Teflon 'O' rings on their way for testing and will report back on these when I have had a chance to evaluate. An 'O' ring that never needs lube, might work well in our aplications.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Additional \'O ring lube information for our li

David,
I look forward to your findings!!! I bought some teflon rings at one point but they are typical teflon in terms of non-elastic and somewhat pliable but no good for this type of seal application. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Gore makes some really cool expanded teflon materials for seals but again, the material is not appropriate for this type of dynamic seal. My gut tells me that the ultimate mightbe a urethane O-ring with some type of dry lube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Bob_G

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
An application of silicone grease seems to work for 24 hours and then it starts to dry out and gets stiffer with time.

[/ QUOTE ]This has been driving me crazy. I've tried everything I've seen recommended here and had found nothing that lasted over 24 hours. Then I made it to a local dive shop and got some Trident Silicone Lube and it works fine. The feel is sort of "slickery," kind of wet feeling.

Then I read Darrell's comments on Dupont Teflon Bearing Grease and hunted it down. In the process of trying to find it (I believe it's been discontinued) I found your posted site and their research makes interesting reading.

The Dupont has been holding for several days and I'm confident it will continue. The feel is no feel really. It kind of feels like a fine mat finish looks - very smoooth. And it's not messy! I'll be converting any o-ring restricted twisties over to it forthwith.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

I am using NYE Lube and while it is true that it gets a bit stiffer after some time, IMHO the real problem is the size of the o-ring. I am experiencing a "game of tolerances" and sometimes a twisty works well a few hours and is set in stoen the nesxt day while others continue to turn smoothly and happily for months.
Those that bug down ... I have the impression that there is too much pressure between the o-ring and the metal parts surrounding it, thus pressing the lube out so that there is the bare rubber of the o-ring touching the metal, thus blocking the switch. After swapping parts and exchanging some o-rings I can usually come up with an acceptable solution that will keep up the smooth work with Nyogel.

Any thoughts? As I am not sure ... maybe all I wrote is BS and phantasy ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bernie

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened

When I first looked for an o ring lube, I grabbed some Kellube out of my gun cleaning box. It's an action lube, this particular item marketed by Sinclair International. It's synthetic, probably Teflon based, seems to work good even after a month or so. I think the Teflon leaves a dry(er) film even after the lube has disapated. Seems to be doing the trick so far.

FWIW
Mark

cdf

Enlightened

Has anyone tried Parker O lube . It is sold as an "o" ring lube at Industrial hose supply stores , it also claims to lube metal threads . The fella who sold it to me seemed knowledable, he cl;aims it wont damage butyl or nitrile "o" rings .

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been using Krytox for years now and it works great. Stays pliable, never dries and doesn't attack O-rings. However, you do have to clean and replace it somewhat regularly but this is to be expected as the thick fluor-grease tends to grad dust and lint.

The problem is finding it at retail.

Wilkey