Advice on Surefire LX2

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did alot of checking prior to posting this thread, and the personal opinion I've come to is the LX2 is actually more water-resistant than the E2DL.

That have been documented threads on E2DL tailcap letting in water. So far, nothing of that sort for the LX2.

For the LX2 I don't intend to bring the light more than 5m, even for my "torture tests". Cause if it fails my warranty isn't going to hold up and there goes $300 down the dustbin.

What makes me (unexplainably) attracted to the LX2 is the UI. Press for 15 lumens and press harder for 200 lumens sounds delicious :rolleyes:

That said, the RA 170T which I'm intending to buy is rated to 20m waterproof, is bombproof (I have gone through every inch of henry's website and am convinced). I can also customise it with the sapphire lens, titanium bezel, basically the best of everything which I will probably do. But the UI of the RA, although I don't want to call judgement before I use it, I think I'd prefer the LX2.

And now for the final deciding factor - the RA 170T takes 17670s but the Surefire can only take RCR123s. Terrible runtime.

I might actually buy both, and carry both around as EDCs.
My search for the perfect torch will never end :rolleyes:
I was surprised to learn that the E2DL is not so capable under water. I must have missed the story when it was posted.

I think with the tail cap of the LX2 tightened there shouldn't be any problem with water ingress, especially if it is only 5 meters but don't quote me for it. I didn't say this based on experience. It is in the lockout mode that the tail cap really felt wobbly.

Not too sure if Surefire would be willing to service the LX2 should there be any issues with water ingress but they might. But do take note that SF now refuses to deal direct with us out of the US. We would need to send the light to the only authorized dealer which is Sheares Marketing.

The LX2 UI is indeed nice. In my trekking trips I usually uses only the low mode and if I need to spot something far I just depress the tail cap for high power. Simple and easy to use. One handed operation is possible but slow if you need to tighten the tail cap to on.

If you need something more powerful then LX2 is the one, do note that LX2 is only slightly more powerful in the hotspot with lesser but still usable spill light. If you need something smaller then get the 170T HDS clicky. Both lights are very tough and I love them all.

hurricane

Newly Enlightened
1] Waterproofing, I can't comment on the specifics, but a $200 light that can't withstand heavy rain, or being dropped into a couple of feet of water would be ridiculous. SureFire engineers their lights for professionals i.e. people that count on their lights. If a SureFire light poops-out in a benign water situation e.g. rain, snow, puddles ... a couple of feet of water, I'd say it's a defective light or the gaskets are blown. SureFire doesn't make dive lights, but I would imagine that all their products could handle at least 1 meter of water for 30 minutes ... JIS-7 standard I think. Most marine VHF radios can handle at least that and they have a lot more ways for water to creep in. A light that can't handle at least JIS-7 isn't very robust IMHO.

I just used a buddy's LX2 the other night alongside my C2 w/ Malkoff M60 ... it's a fantastic light and was definitely more powerful than the M60. It's a very powerful light in a small package. It has a beautiful beam.

chanjyj

Enlightened
1] Waterproofing, I can't comment on the specifics, but a $200 light that can't withstand heavy rain, or being dropped into a couple of feet of water would be ridiculous. SureFire engineers their lights for professionals i.e. people that count on their lights. If a SureFire light poops-out in a benign water situation e.g. rain, snow, puddles ... a couple of feet of water, I'd say it's a defective light or the gaskets are blown. SureFire doesn't make dive lights, but I would imagine that all their products could handle at least 1 meter of water for 30 minutes ... JIS-7 standard I think. Most marine VHF radios can handle at least that and they have a lot more ways for water to creep in. A light that can't handle at least JIS-7 isn't very robust IMHO.

I just used a buddy's LX2 the other night alongside my C2 w/ Malkoff M60 ... it's a fantastic light and was definitely more powerful than the M60. It's a very powerful light in a small package. It has a beautiful beam.

Well, the G2 did fail under 15cm of water. And though it's the cheapest surefire it's a SUREFIRE.

Then we have the problematic E2DL tailcaps..

Don't get me started :rolleyes:

The waterproof ones, as far as my research and testing have shown are the L, Z, P and Cs.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
. Waterproofing
Am anally retentive about this, even if it borders on insanity but nobody can change me in this area. Any idea if the LX2 can go underwater? The G2 leaks immediately, and the mileage varies among ALL surefire lights so I am very concerned.

If you are truly "anally retentive about this" you might want to get a light specifically made for underwater work. Lights designed for water use have a better chance of staying waterproof longer.

With that said, the more I use my LX2 the more I like that powerful little puppy. It really is a nice light in a solid compact package. No dark corners with this light :).

carrot

Flashaholic
1. Waterproofing
Am anally retentive about this, even if it borders on insanity but nobody can change me in this area. Any idea if the LX2 can go underwater? The G2 leaks immediately, and the mileage varies among ALL surefire lights so I am very concerned.

2. Rechargeables
Use of rechargeables BESIDES RCR123. I don't like the cost of CR123, and the runtime of RCR123 doesn't cut it. Hence my usual preference is 18650s. The Surefire doesn't fit 18650s so am thinking of 17670s. Apparently they don't fit as well.

One word: Barbolight.

chanjyj

Enlightened
One word: Barbolight.

Been planning to get a HDS 170T with all the bells and whistles (sapphire lens, Ti Bezel with AiTN, the cream of the crop). Just too busy with work these few weeks.

However I can't get the UI of the LX2 out of my mind either. I might just purchase both, the LX2 as my "toy" light. RA, will of course be my main light and have quite a few other lights (which I trust) lying around. So yeah, LX2 can be "played" with.

But golly, the cost of CR123s in Singapore :shakehead

carrot

Flashaholic
Been planning to get a HDS 170T with all the bells and whistles (sapphire lens, Ti Bezel with AiTN, the cream of the crop). Just too busy with work these few weeks.

However I can't get the UI of the LX2 out of my mind either. I might just purchase both, the LX2 as my "toy" light. RA, will of course be my main light and have quite a few other lights (which I trust) lying around. So yeah, LX2 can be "played" with.

But golly, the cost of CR123s in Singapore :shakehead
What...?

Barbolight != HDS

Barbolight are high-end diving/caving-oriented lights. They offer a smaller model suitable for EDC as well. Tough little beasts.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS clicky could easily "imitate" the UI of LX2. Assuming you are walking on low power and wants to spot something far, just depress and hold the tailcap and you go straight to burst mode, release to go back to low. To fix it there on high, just do a quick click + press and hold and the light goes into burst mode. If you order a tactical UI and you don't like the strobe you could always reprogram the UI to match the executive series.

Where did you get your batteries from btw? I got them at slightly less than half the price as what you see in the supermart.

chanjyj

Enlightened
HDS clicky could easily "imitate" the UI of LX2. Assuming you are walking on low power and wants to spot something far, just depress and hold the tailcap and you go straight to burst mode, release to go back to low. To fix it there on high, just do a quick click + press and hold and the light goes into burst mode. If you order a tactical UI and you don't like the strobe you could always reprogram the UI to match the executive series.

Where did you get your batteries from btw? I got them at slightly less than half the price as what you see in the supermart.

Well, a good thing you told me early - when I was looking through the options in the HDS website I was thinking of customising it with the tactical UI. Sounds better to start of with executive UI. http://ralights.com/?id=Clicky

I don't purchase primaries. I use RCR123s if forced to (have 4 with me now).
People say that CR123s are backup to their 18650s, for me it's RCR123s.

But if I have to purchase primaries - 7/11, Cheers, NTUC, any camera shop. The usual suspects

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a good thing you told me early - when I was looking through the options in the HDS website I was thinking of customising it with the tactical UI. Sounds better to start of with executive UI. http://ralights.com/?id=Clicky

I don't purchase primaries. I use RCR123s if forced to (have 4 with me now).
People say that CR123s are backup to their 18650s, for me it's RCR123s.

But if I have to purchase primaries - 7/11, Cheers, NTUC, any camera shop. The usual suspects
Bro, you could get CR123 for very cheap at Sheares Marketing. The official dealer of Surefire here in Singapore. Not sure if it's alright to post the link here but a google search would bring you there. I got my Energizer and Surefire batteries there. You'd be amazed considering what you paid for in 7/11, NTUC, and Cheers... Even though I am using rechargeables mainly, I still find it useful to standby some primaries in case I need to travel to some god-forsaken places where charging a battery is a real headache. In fact, I still uses primary batteries in my Surefire lights despite having tested them to be ok with RCR123. Good luck.

chanjyj

Enlightened
Bro, you could get CR123 for very cheap at Sheares Marketing. The official dealer of Surefire here in Singapore. Not sure if it's alright to post the link here but a google search would bring you there. I got my Energizer and Surefire batteries there. You'd be amazed considering what you paid for in 7/11, NTUC, and Cheers... Even though I am using rechargeables mainly, I still find it useful to standby some primaries in case I need to travel to some god-forsaken places where charging a battery is a real headache. In fact, I still uses primary batteries in my Surefire lights despite having tested them to be ok with RCR123. Good luck.

I certainly know sheares. Have staff contacts on the inside, can staff discounts too.

But I personally find them ripping off consumers (look at the price they sell Surefire lights), and the only 'normal' price you can get is a staff discounted price. So I try not to buy from them.

That said, seems like they're the only real military-police oriented store in SG so I have to go for them for some speciality item :rolleyes:

bullettproof

Enlightened
I can confirm it will at least be waterproof to 3 feet took mine in the pool no problems.

chanjyj

Enlightened
I can confirm it will at least be waterproof to 3 feet took mine in the pool no problems.

Thanks! Looks like I may be getting 2 new lights next month (it goes on as a "company expense" so I'll have to wait for next fiscal month :mad:)

Btw, it best to wash the rings with water. Pool water has caused problems with o-rings. Not exactly sure which chemical it is, or if it's a combination of all the chemicals together.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly know sheares. Have staff contacts on the inside, can staff discounts too.

But I personally find them ripping off consumers (look at the price they sell Surefire lights), and the only 'normal' price you can get is a staff discounted price. So I try not to buy from them.

That said, seems like they're the only real military-police oriented store in SG so I have to go for them for some speciality item :rolleyes:

Well to each his own. Personally they seem to give me a very reasonable price such that even if I were to buy from overseas and ship in it wouldn't make much of a difference in the price considering there's the GST they have to pay for. And even if they are slightly more expensive, usually by $10 to $20 more, I wouldn't mind giving it to them because I get to inspect the goods and play around with it before deciding if I want it. You can't get that ordering online.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Looks like I may be getting 2 new lights next month (it goes on as a "company expense" so I'll have to wait for next fiscal month :mad:)

Btw, it best to wash the rings with water. Pool water has caused problems with o-rings. Not exactly sure which chemical it is, or if it's a combination of all the chemicals together.

It's the high chlorine contents bro. Chlorine is very corrosive on 'O' rings.

uzzikie

Newly Enlightened

my 1st post!
i am also from Singapore and is comtemplating getting a LX2 too.
And only Sheares carry SF....

are you able to get a good price from them?

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Quite a few threads on CPF state that the LX2 is officially rated to 1m at 30min.

Eg: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2988006&postcount=3

However, I can't seem to find anything on the SF website, still says "weatherproof".

Anyone willing to tell me where you all got the "1m at 30mins" rating?

Surefire's site used to say waterproof to 1m, but they seem to have since removed that from the LX2 description. I definitely remember it saying 1m when I bought mine, but it's obviously gone now.

chanjyj

Enlightened
Surefire's site used to say waterproof to 1m, but they seem to have since removed that from the LX2 description. I definitely remember it saying 1m when I bought mine, but it's obviously gone now.

Did some intensive digging. It appears on the packaging (box) itself. Interesting.