Advice on Surefire LX2

Simon520

Newly Enlightened
I have both a HDS 170 and an LX2.

I can tell you from experience that runtime on the LX2 is very good with RCR123's because the majority of the time, you will be using the low beam. Low is 25 Surefire lumens, and is sufficient the vast majority of the time.

I got over 25 hours continuous on LOW with CR123's; figure 1/2 to 1/3 that with rechargeables.

High was just over 2 hours on CR123's with it dropping to the 25 lumen mode after that.

I love the UI of the LX2. The HDS has a more usable lower low for reading, but besides that the LX2 is a better light for me in terms of beam usability. Even the "narrow" 170 beam is quite a bit floodier than the LX2 and does not have as much throw.

If you need to see something distant, you need throw (or a crapload of lumens). The 170 just lacks the throw and distributes those 170 lumens over too much beam angle to be really useful at distance. I don't consider myself a throw junkie, but the more I carry and use the LX2, the more it makes sense.

I use RCR123's (rechargeables- AW123 protected) exclusively in my LX2 and E2DL's.