Airless bicycle tires

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi JTR - Thanks for all of the info - I have been looking at airless tires myself lately. (not for nearly as serious of riding as you do)

My 11 year old has an old 20 x 2.xx in skyway bike that is very flat prone. Originally it was from the usual suspects - thorns mostly. I put in all of the anti flat gizmos - thick tubes, a kevlar strip (between the tire and tube) and replaced the strip protecting the tire from the spokes.

For reasons that escape all of us, including 3 bike shops, the tube likes to shift around just enough to bend over the valve stem, literally tearing out the stem from the tube.
We have tried a variety of tire pressures and tubes, and nothing seems to work, so in frustration / desperation, I am looking for an alternative.

I agree completely with the idea of ditching the tire repair kit. In this case a repair means carrying around an extra tube and a pump, so an airless would be wonderful.

I will look into the links you posted.

Thanks

Harry

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice tires jtr1962!

How much do they weigh and I assume they would be suitable for really rough and slippery roads in the larger sizes?

I do most of my training on the turbo through the winter but I have a converted hybrid that I use on the roads when the weather is bad.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Nice tires jtr1962!

How much do they weigh and I assume they would be suitable for really rough and slippery roads in the larger sizes?
According to the specs about 390 grams which is about what a similarly-sized air tire and tube would weigh. I don't notice any more rotational inertia compared to air tires. Yes, the larger sizes with lower psi feel would be more suited for the rough stuff than these tires. This is especially true for those tires made with the high-rebound material. In fact, the available high-rebound tires are all in wider widths.

I do most of my training on the turbo through the winter but I have a converted hybrid that I use on the roads when the weather is bad.
Great idea! One thing is for sure-I'll never go back to riding on pneumatics at this point. The speed penalty associated with airless tires isn't enough to bother me all that much, and the other advantages outweigh this small disadvantage.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luckily I've had few flats in the first 30 years of biking. In the last 12 years my whole family has been going through bad inner tubes. No glass or potholes, just phantom flats. I've tried several different brands and they all have to repaired and have air added regularly. I guess things even out after a time.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luckily I've had few flats in the first 30 years of biking.
You're lucky! I had my latest one last Saturday and it was a pain to repair as it was freezing LOL.
95% of the flats I get are from thorns piercing the tire and tube.
scowl.gif

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing is for sure-I'll never go back to riding on pneumatics at this point. The speed penalty associated with airless tires isn't enough to bother me all that much, and the other advantages outweigh this small disadvantage.

I like the sound of that jtr!

Thanks

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Needless to say, this is seriously cutting into my fitness regimen. I still walk a few miles a day but it isn't enough.
You mention exercise in another post also.

If you are riding for exercise then weight and high rolling resistance is a good thing.
A bike is far more efficient than any other form of transportation and that is not good for exercise purposes.
Walk a mile at 4 mph or more and then do two or three on a bike and take your pulse.
Walking also tends to be more of a whole body exercise.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mention exercise in another post also.

If you are riding for exercise then weight and high rolling resistance is a good thing.
A bike is far more efficient than any other form of transportation and that is not good for exercise purposes.
Walk a mile at 4 mph or more and then do two or three on a bike and take your pulse.
Walking also tends to be more of a whole body exercise.

It totally depends on how hard you are trying.
For me as a trained cyclist my HR is highest when cycling (even higher than running). As you have gears to suit you're optimum cadance it doesn't matter if rolling resistance is high or if you are riding it on the flat or a steep hill.

I fully agree that cycling can be very easy if you are taking it gently and that 4mph walking can be more strenous.

I no longer use HR but it hovers at 75-85 at 4.3mph which is my cruising speed on a treadmill but I rarely train at less than 170bpm when cycling and frequently train at 185+ for 20mins or more which is where the real fun starts. :D

Its just one of these things that can be easy or hard depending on what you are after.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Yes, it depends upon exactly how hard you go. I DO walk pretty fast, something like 13-14 minutes per mile, and I'm sure that gets my heart rate going. However, I'm also sure that my HR is higher when I'm cycling unless I'm stuck in traffic where I can't ride like I want to. Averaging 14 or 15 mph on roads where I often must slow or stop for obstacles means I'm getting a pretty good workout. On the plus side the slightly higher rolling resistance of the airless tires means that I'll get a slightly better workout in those situations where I'm artificially slowed down. On the minus side, it means I won't go as fast even if I'm getting the same workout. So far my best ride on the airless tires has been at an average speed of 13.6 mph. However, I haven't had any rides yet where I was really going hard and hitting little traffic the whole time. Such rides on air tires averaged in the 17 mph area. They should be around 15.5 or so with the airless tires. I'll be overjoyed if it turns out there's no speed difference at all.

BTW, I just tried the airless tires today in wet conditions for the first time. Not intentionally, but it started raining while I was cycling and I had no choice but to ride home in the rain. Anyway, no differences at all in wet traction between these and regular pneumatic tires. In fact, I might cautiously even say the traction seemed a little better than pneumatics. And it seems like the thin film of water on the road reduced the rolling resistance a bit also. In any case so far I'm thoroughly happy with my airless tires. Only thing is to see how they hold up long term. They only seem to ride better and roll with less resistance as I pile the miles on. The only real downside to the airless tires is the company selling them. Service is hit or miss. 14 months and 6 emails is totally unsatisfactory service but there have been people getting their tires in 2 weeks. You unfortunately never know which and this is why I recommend dealing directly with the manufacturer, provided they sell the particular model tires you want.

One other thing-cost. I paid $50 plus $5 for a custom psi plus shipping for two tires. This has since gone up to $70 plus $15 for a custom psi plus shipping. However, even at that price it's no more than decent air tires and tubes. Considering the tires last more than twice as long, it's a bargain actually.