AK-47 inventor: U.S. troops in Iraq prefer my rifle to theirs

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see milled versions of Kalishnikov rifles here, Valmet of Finland. Quite a difference between these and stamped recievers and in reliability and performance. Impressive performance, typical Scandinavian craftsmanship. One must also consider the Valmet varient, Isreal's Gallil. M76s to include the phenolic stocked ones were available in 5.56 and 7.62 NATO, packing quite a punch. Most U.S. shooters have never encountered these however they were imported for a time in the 1980's. Valmet also made a 7.62 NATO in a traditional wood hunting stock. Poor product availability did not promote their performance into reputation. http://Valmet.org.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
SIG will be selling a US made version of their 550 called the 556 which may be the ultimate rifle. Street price of around $1300.

If I can scrape up the money, I will buy one.

guncollector

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
SIG will be selling a US made version of their 550 called the 556 which may be the ultimate rifle. Street price of around $1300.

If I can scrape up the money, I will buy one.

I agree it is as close to the perfect 5.56x45mm launcher as you can get.

But it questions begs, one SIG-550 (StG-90) or two AR-15's?

Not that it makes any different to those of us in occupied California--where all of sales of these rifles are no longer permitted. :(

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Jumpmaster said:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Mikhail+Kalashnikov%2C+designer+of+the+world%27s+most+popular+assault+rifle%2C+says+that+U.S.+soldiers+in+Iraq+are+using+his%22

Here is a handy tip...whenever I need to locate an original link to an article, I put a portion of it in quotes and then put it in google.

Out pops a bunch of pages with the original article.
Here is one...but there are many to choose from. If you google it, you can pick sites that do not have popups also. The following one does not.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N17237277.htm

JM-99
Thank you sir!

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
There is a video out there where an AK is immersed in water then fired, then dropped successive times on its barrel and stock, then finally the rifle is thrown from a 3 story building picked up and fired, then ran over by both wheels of a truck picked up and fired, I wish I knew how to post the video link.

ledlurker

Enlightened
guncollector said:
The Swiss government's neutrality laws put stringent controls on export of its military equipment, small arms included.

SIG Sauer pistols, for instance, are manufactured in Germany, the U.S., and I'm sure elsewhere under license, and then distributed internationally.

With so many competing designs (already enjoying huge economies of scale) mingled with the highly politicized procurement processes involved in selling to the world's modernized armies; the high-cost/low-production StG-90 simply isn't very "marketable" outside of Switzerland.

For 3rd world armies, surplus AK's are available for $50-100.00. Why bother with expensive Swiss steel?

In 1984 I did a 18 day trip from Saudi Arabia down through Egypt, across he Trans-Sahara highway (sand track lines with barrels for markers every few miles) and down through a few countries along the southern side of the desert. At that time we were adivised to purchase a weapon for self defense. We bought our AK-47's with a case of ammo each and six magazines each for $35. Made our trip without having to use them for defense and them sold them back to the same Arab for $20. Of course most of the ammo was used up in "practice".

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
guncollector said:
I agree it is as close to the perfect 5.56x45mm launcher as you can get.

But it questions begs, one SIG-550 (StG-90) or two AR-15's?

Not that it makes any different to those of us in occupied California--where all of sales of these rifles are no longer permitted. :(

One SIG. Thats like saying, two Hi-Points or one Makarov. ;)

I have absolutely no desire to own an AR-15. An AR-15 similarly equipped would probably cost upwards of $800 anyway. The built in picatinny rails, rubber padded collapsible stock and single point sling plate on the 556 are nice and aren't an additional cost item like they are with an AR.

Toss on a vertical foregrip a nice weapon light and an ACOG/Aimpoint/EOTech and you've got yourself one hell of a rifle.

Now if they would make it in 7.62x39 and use AK mags ;)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That SIG 556 is one nice looking rifle. But I'd be concerned about a few things if I were to own it. Availability of replacement parts and the questionable performance with heavy bullets (75-77grain). My critieria for a rifle is that it must be maintainable in the event of a supply chain breakdown. That means parts must be stockpiled at affordable cost, or parts can be scavenged. AR's are very very common (flame suit on). Go to the rifle range and I bet you'll see several AR15's on the line. I doubt if I'll be able to find any SIG556's to scavenge or if I'll be able to get replacement parts except from the manufacturer. A minor nit for me is the 1:9 twist as I shoot 77 gr ammo which is marginally stabilized by 1:9. Still, it's one rifle I'd like to add to my collection though it will probably sit in the safe whereas my AR15's will get shot and get shot a lot.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
I want one, but in 6.5 Grendel, and that isn't going to happen, so back to the AR's for me!

Bill

With the quick change barrel and removeable bolt head, I'm sure aftermarket could make something like that with no problems.

guncollector

Enlightened
Who's got an AR, or any rifle for that matter, in 6.8x43mm Remington SPC?

In "beta" testing right now in the sandbox. It'll never make general issue, but its definitely many an operator's best friend right now in Iraq from what I understand.

It's a flat-shooting 115gr pill at 2700-2900fps. That'll ruin an insurgent's day. The uppers drop right into an AR lower receiver. You can convert from a standard .223/5.56x45mm, M16 or M4, to one in 6.8mm SPC in the time it takes to type this sentence.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen one of the 6.8's, (on the sly). It definitely has huge advantages over the .223, but the Grendel shoots flatter and carries a lot more energy out there. In close, which is what the 6.8 is designed for, it's a monster, but go past 300 yards, and the Grendel comes out on top.

If I was in combat, I'd probably choose the 6.8, since most encounters are closer than 300 yards. But for competition shooting, which is what I plan on using the Grendel for, the 6.5 wins.

The 6.5 is also a direct change out of the upper.

Bill

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Sorry to be off topic but the Malaysian Gov has just announced that the Colt M4-A2 is to be replacing AUG Styer. Is the M4-A2 the auto version of the M16? What is it exactly?

cy

Flashaholic
OT,,, wanted an AR for awhile, but .223 is not legal for deer hunting in Okla.

my fav is .270 Weatherby with unertl scope for harvesting deer.

I've got an unfired M1903A3 that a buddy has been trying to trade me for a first gen AR15.

lots of great info in this thread!!!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin Tan said:
Sorry to be off topic but the Malaysian Gov has just announced that the Colt M4-A2 is to be replacing AUG Styer. Is the M4-A2 the auto version of the M16? What is it exactly?

Cosmetically M4-A2 has a 14.5 inch barrel (vs M16's 20inch) with a step cut for a grenade launcher mount, and a collapsible stock vs. std rifle stock of the M16. Due to shorter overall length (lighter weight also), it's better for CQB and urban warfare. There are many other subtle differences between the two and some consider the M4 an entirely different beast than the M16. Fire control group options include 3rnd burst or full auto. Here's a link for the A4 flat top version: http://www.colt.com/mil/M4.asp

guncollector

Enlightened
cy said:
OT,,, wanted an AR for awhile, but .223 is not legal for deer hunting in Okla.

my fav is .270 Weatherby with unertl scope for harvesting deer.

I've got an unfired M1903A3 that a buddy has been trying to trade me for a first gen AR15.

lots of great info in this thread!!!

Get an AR in 6.8mm Remington SPC. Good for game up small-to-medium sized game out to 300 yards.

The editors at Rifleshootermag.com harvested a 200 pound buck with it. Click here for article

Not sure how the magazine thing works, though I'd guess regular .223 AR mags work with a little modification (perhaps a new follower).

cy

Flashaholic
sounds like the new .270 round has plenty of knockdown with 115 grain bullet. could be awhile before new .270 makes into production.

been shooting 145 grain .270 win with excellent knockdown.