AKOray AA & AAA Review + RUNTIME

oldtimer

Enlightened
oldtimer... AW's protected 14500 is a great cell, but a little expensive. I've got a few of these and they are good.

Also, I just ordered and received two Trustfire blue protected cells (two for around $5 I think incl. shipping from DX) and they are excellent cells for a reaaaally great price, so I would recommend them.

I've tried Ultrafire silver 14500 protected cells and both of the ones I got had misaligned protection circuits in the base and would NOT fit in my K-106 body! Personally, I won't be buying any Ultrafire Silver 14500 protected cells again.

Thanks! I just checked DX and it's 900mah compared to 750mah too!

Does anyone know why the protected cells at AW is rated at 750 and the unprotected ones are only 700? Shouldn't the latter be more since there's more room with no circuits?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smart to NOT engage in the "thinking TOO much syndrome"... you're going to like that K-106, I'm sure, it's a very competent light for a very modest amount of money... a superb choice for those who want to keep costs down.

yeah, i think you're right and it's confirmed, i have lost my Jetbeam Jet I Mk IIx :mecry:hope that whoever finds it appreciates it.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can really rely on the precision accuracy of the stated capacities of these cells.

For example, many RCR123 and 14500 cells have stated capacities of 750 mAh, but actually, the 14500 has about 23% greater capacity than the 16340 due to the 23% larger cell volume. You should expect about You can expect to get around 23% longer run time with a 14500 than with a 16340, all else being equal.

boomhauer

Banned
Just received some K-102 with orange protruding tailcaps and MUCH more positive-feeling (not mushy) clickies. Apparently the AKOray folks are listening.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered the K-106 yesterday (6th July 2009, Singapore time), so much for "Ships in 1 - 3 days" status is now "back ordered"

ykb

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,
I received an Akoray K-103 (sku.23994) from DX yesterday, and was surprised at the quality! Smooth threads, good machining / finish, good tint with smooth beam.
Mine came with reverse clicky, but I'd read reviews where it was a forward clicky?

boomhauer

Banned
Hi folks,
I received an Akoray K-103 (sku.23994) from DX yesterday, and was surprised at the quality! Smooth threads, good machining / finish, good tint with smooth beam.
Mine came with reverse clicky, but I'd read reviews where it was a forward clicky?

True! I just noticed this with my new K-102s. No more forward clicky, but overall I think the switch change is an improvement.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i sent an email to Jerry from KD to tell him to change the status so that buyers wont get all worked up, click the buy button and then be told its back ordered.

That actually falls under misrepresentation and i could probably void the transaction based on that. But, bein a fisherman as well as flashaholic, i have sooome patience :D

waiting for my K-106 to arrive man, if its as good as it seems, i'm going to pull the trigger for a AK-16

oldtimer

Enlightened
Sounds like a bad switch. Pull off the tail cap end and connect the bottom of the battery to the bare metal of the light (using something conductive like a paper clip) and see if it works.

Could you please elaborate on this? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to flashlight and electronics. Do I stick it on the body? How do I turn it on then?

romteb

Enlightened
Oldtimer my guess is is that you have a bad contact in your switch assembly, either some dirtyness or the metal contacts are bent too much or not enough, it's pretty straightforward to take the switch assembly apart and figure out what can prevent the good contact.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you please elaborate on this? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to flashlight and electronics. Do I stick it on the body? How do I turn it on then?

Hold your AKOray with the bezel down (so the battery doesn't fall out. Remove the end cap (clip end) and get a paper clip. Bend the paper clip so you can touch both the bottom of the battery and the bare metal around the threading. If the light works, the switch is broken or has a problem.

oldtimer

Enlightened
Hold your AKOray with the bezel down (so the battery doesn't fall out. Remove the end cap (clip end) and get a paper clip. Bend the paper clip so you can touch both the bottom of the battery and the bare metal around the threading. If the light works, the switch is broken or has a problem.

I think there is a problem with the switch. Is it easy to take out to fix? I tried removing the clip so the contacts are closer but it still flickers/not turn on sometimes. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Last edited:

diverdown

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone...first time poster here.

My switch has a problem also. My "high" setting is set to full output. When I turn it to high, within a couple of seconds it drops off to about 1/3 output. If I remove the switch and use a paper clip, it works fine. To rule out any switch to body (or battery) contact issues, I removed the switch and connected it to the light using test leads. Again, it drops off after a couple of seconds.

I have taken the switch apart several times. It appears fine. I even stretched the spring to get more pressure on the contacts. No matter what I do, the problem persists.

The switch seems to be low quality but I don't have much experience with flashlight switches. One interesting thing is that it is rated for 1A. With a NiMH, mine draws 1.8A on high.

This flashlight is useless to me as it is now. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful.

diver

romteb

Enlightened
Diverdown, i think your switch is fine, what you experienced is probalby the built in protection of the light that throttles down the output.

You can disable the protection by tapping three times on the switch, if my memory serves me well, when the response you get from the three tapping is one flash of light, the protection is off, when the response you get is two flashes of light, the protection is on, just keep giving those three taps till you get only one flash.

Last edited:

diverdown

Newly Enlightened
Diverdown, i think your switch is fine, what you experienced is probalby the built in protection of the light that throttles down the output.

You can disable the protection by tapping three times on the switch, if my memory serves me well, when the response you get from the three tapping is one flash of light, the protection is off, when the response you get is two flashes of light, the protection is on, just keep giving those three taps till you get only one flash.

Thank you so much for responding. That was the problem.

I messed with the switch for a long time. I can't believe it was that simple! What is odd though, is that removing the switch from the circuit kept the protection from kicking in. I did not do this just once, I kept testing it without the switch to be sure that it was the problem. I don't think that I will ever understand it, but at least it works now.

Thanks again.

diver

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Update to my TANK007 TK-701 AAA SSC light:- I

t is still underwhelming with NiMh but what a transformation with 10440 cell! With smoothest transition from hotspot to spill, this is an ideal light for low to medium range usage. Unfortunately, the runtime sucks but I just swap the battery everyday.

For $8.80, it is one of the best bargain out there. For general usage, I do not like throwers as the transition between hotspot and spill is too abrupt for indoor usage.

- Vikas

p moore

Newly Enlightened
I have had my 106 for about 3 weeks now. I like it alot! I have it mounted on my cell phone case, always right there when I need it. I have run mine on primaries, NiMH,and 14500s. Super bright on a fresh 14500. Out shines my RC-G2II and my RC-N3 single mode. I, like others, just wish it would run forever on a battery :rolleyes:

Paul

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three cheers for the K-106.... a wonderfully versatile and remarkable light, for so very little money!!! :thumbsup:

For, like, 22 bucks or so, including shipping!, this is truly a flashlight no-brainer!

Latest posts