AKOray AA & AAA Review + RUNTIME

radar45

Newly Enlightened
Hi, My Akoray AA seems to have a problem. When using AA alkalines strobe works fine, go to high mode it them drops to low mode after about a secong or two. It seems fine on LC 14500 rechargeable Li-iron, but after a while it flashes a couple of times every few seconds. Any thoughts please.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The alk might not be able to push that current. Do you have any NiMH or Lithium primaries to try?

Vbeez

Enlightened
My 106 just died. After lens changed, I screwed back the pill and reflector put the AA battery in. Click it , nothing happen. Changed batt with 14500 still nothing happen. I took out the pill and powered it by lab PS, still nothing happen. The light worked perfectly before I took out the pill.

Anybody experience this before ?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inspect the connection to the LED, perhaps somehow a lead came off. That's the only exposed connection I think.

Slash5

Newly Enlightened
Hi, My Akoray AA seems to have a problem. When using AA alkalines strobe works fine, go to high mode it them drops to low mode after about a secong or two. It seems fine on LC 14500 rechargeable Li-iron, but after a while it flashes a couple of times every few seconds. Any thoughts please.

Have your turned the battery protection off? It needs to be off for AA's.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally did a run time test on my k109a on lowest-low. Run time was 15 hours on a Trustfire Gray 16340.

Vbeez

Enlightened
I managed to took out the pill. Made stupid mistake by turning the pill too far till the wire snapped. Pictures tell thousand words

Reconnected the wire. Now it's back on duty.

pekcle

Newly Enlightened
Vbeez,

Thanks for the useful pictures. I ran a little experiment with the emitter from the K-106.

I tested out a CREE P4 on light (MTE 1xAA), then I swapped out the emitter with the one from the Akoray. For some reason, the P4 easily blew away the emitter from the P4. How can this be? I am starting to doubt that these are really Q5. I have a feeling that putting a true Q5 or R2 into this thing would improve output significantly. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those that would fit into this light. Did anyone else come up with the same conclusion?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output looked on par with my other Q5 lights:

L2D Turbo
L2D_TURBO.jpg

Romisen RC-N3 II Q5
ROM_HIGH.jpg

AKO 109 (pre-mod)

The only reason I could see the P4 being brighter is because the AKOs circuit can't boost the AA enough and perhaps its Q5 has a higher Vf than most, while P4 has lower than most. Can you try a 14500?
AKO_HIGH.jpg

Last edited:

deefed

Newly Enlightened
I have a K106 and love it but I'm thinking of getting the AK16. Can someone tell me if I can use a primary li on 3.6v 2400 mah non- rechargeable in it or will it get too hot? I want to use this to give me the highest brightness when I go afield where I won't be able to recharge but I don't want to damage the light.
Will this battery be as bright as a 14500?
Also, can I use this 3.6v battery in my K106?

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
I have a K106 and love it but I'm thinking of getting the AK16. Can someone tell me if I can use a primary li on 3.6v 2400 mah non- rechargeable in it or will it get too hot? I want to use this to give me the highest brightness when I go afield where I won't be able to recharge but I don't want to damage the light.
Will this battery be as bright as a 14500?
Also, can I use this 3.6v battery in my K106?

The kind of battery you're talking about is designed for low drain applications only, they suggest a maximum discharge of only around 150ma. So long story short, it would only be proper to use this type of battery at low output levels - using it at a high discharge level would probably mean both dramatically shortened battery capacity, as well as being dangerous as the battery is not designed for high discharge. If you get an AK16, your best option may be to just bring an extra CR123 primary or AA.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Are there any American distributers who carry AKOray? I don't like DX

oronocova

Enlightened
I've been carrying the 102 running off a L92 for a while. It's about the right brightness for what I do (working on office equipment.) I just got and have carried a couple times the 103. On 10440 it's just blinding (too bright) for looking inside stuff, on L92 it's quite a bit tamer. Probably more useful to most people with the L92 compared to the 102.

Another guy I work with grabbed it off the floor (I had dropped it) and clicked it on with the energizer lithium in it; "that thing is bright as h---., what is that a 50 watt or something" I suppose compared to his 3xAAA multi 5mm light it is pretty bright. I guess I will have to upgrade him sometime.

vali

Enlightened
I got a 102 several months ago and I thought it was the perfect keychain light for non flashaholics... but unfortunately it didnt have keychain hole!. :shakehead

Latest posts