Aleph head to kill the KL1?

Joseph

Enlightened
I wanna ask a somehow irrelevant question here since garageboy's query has been answered.

If I put IMS 20mm reflector in Nuwaii Q3(run by 4.2v Rcr123), would it throw as good as A2 or the new domed KL1?

Thank you!

Joseph

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have a 20mm reflector in my Nuwai and it doesn't even come
close to my KL1 ( gen 4 ).

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you run the Aleph II at about 700mA or so, you should get about twice the LUX of the L4.

Joseph

Enlightened
Hi AW, thank you for quick answer.

I'm using charger and rcrs I got from you and they are so far so good! I hope I could get some other good stuff from you when needed.

Thank you.

Joseph

Kiessling

Flashaholic
garage Boy ... yes, the Aleph2 is deep, but with a LuxV it will be a pure flood beam nevertheless.
Here's a shot with the above mentioned LuxV at 917mA in the same settings:

relux520.jpg

and a white-wall study of the beam:

relux5ww20.jpg

Mags ... with a LuxV at 917mA you can afford a big hotspot AND throw, but it coasts power, runtime and heat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif, and is only a useful tool with a 2-stage.

Chop ... is talking about this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif light:

chopmod.jpg

chopsize.jpg

Here is the so17xa version with the above mentioned LuxIII LE at 917mA:

relux317.jpg

981 lux

... and the LuxV LE at 917 mA:

relux517.jpg

723 lux

In both cases it has a less intense hotspot and corona as the Aleph2, but covers a greater area. The version with the chopped-down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif McR-20 is between the two, but I have no comparison pics, sorry.

Beam studies for the above two shots in the same order:

relux3ww17.jpg

relux5ww17.jpg

You can see a donut hole in the LuxV version. Can't be avoided in this small head.
Keep in mind though that a LuxV at 917mA really isn't well suited for this tiny head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif
I use a BB400 LuxV in it and it's a really great combo giving bright big flood for about 30 minutes with tolerable heat.
I really can recommend this mod !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

bernie

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
OK, I do still do the E head mods. The benefit to this mod is its size, or the lack of it. The modded E head on a VG body is tiny. IIRC, it comes in at just under or at 3" long.

As for the performance of the E head mod, bernie might be able to give you a real world use angle on this. He has two models of E head mods and a few A2s, I believe.

From my experience, I can say this. The KL1 on a two cell body will edge out an Aleph II (running at 500mA) in terms of throw, but the Aleph II has all of that sidespill. One of the benefits of the Aleph II is that you can crank the current up a bit, if you feel the need to, to eeck a bit more throw out of the light. With issues of cost aside, the Aleph II is a better all around light.

Now, when comparing the Aleph II to the E head mod, the Aleph II will win out in terms of throw. It's simple, the Aleph II has a 20mm reflector and the E mod has a 17mm reflector. Larger reflector means more throw.

At this point I'll defer to bernie, who has a lux meter to expand on the above statements, if he wishes to.

As a final note, I can say that I carry a modded E head with a NexGen350 LE on a VG body as my "I always have it with me" light. It's small, more than sufficiently bright, and very easy to carry in a pocket. I typically wear a suit and having bulky things in my pockets just screw up the lines in my tailored suits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I'm wearing jeans or casual pants that allow it, I carry an Aleph II with a pocket clip attached to the switch. When the pants are kind of baggy, I go for an Aleph I head.

What's funny about having the E head mod with me all of the time is that I hardly ever use the Arc AAA that is on my keychain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo chop, have i ever told you that your my hero /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I love that light since the first time I saw that thread. Man, small, bright plus i have come to love the VG bodies, I have bought two since you recommended them to me.

I need to save my pennies for one.
It's freaking amazing you can do that in a E head! VDG

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately going for the A2! When I need a needle piercing beam, I'll grab the incan G2. Or my Lux III in a 52mm stock mag. ::sinister

Latest posts