Another reason to always have a light

besafe2

Enlightened
Yesterday at the auto dealership I was just about finished using the mens room when all of sudden all power off & that room was pitch black. After finding my Garrity AA I was able to finish business & get out of there.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Indeed! At the building where my studies are, the power went out in the men's restroom also. The only light on my person was the McLux.III.PD. But for some reason or another, the batteries were DEAD! :( Man Alive! I didn't even check it that morning before leaving the apartment and DID NOT PLAN on carrying SPARES! :ohgeez:

Live and Learn. . .:eek:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife stopped wondering why I EDC a light after she used my EDC to go to the ladies room of a coffee shop whose lights were not working. There are also plenty of other situations that have arisen since then. If the saying "2 is 1 and 1 is none" holds true for preparedness then another saying could be "1 without a spare is none".

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually cycle my lights when I put them in my pocket to make sure all is well. I still carry a spare(s), but they're in my EDC bag, not on my person, so I like to know my primary light will fire.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Arc AAA-P DS on my keys. However, I keep my keys clipped to my EDC bag. The only things I carry on me are my wallet, a small light like an EX10, a knife and occasionally my iPhone, though that's usually in a Maxpedition M-2 malice clipped to my Lunada.

Illum

Flashaholic
keep a keyring backup,you'll use it more than you think. :ohgeez:

very true by the way, I keep a fauxton on the karabiner I have on my belt. cluttered pockets makes it very hard to pull out and illuminate when your hands are preoccupied with something:)

LEDrock

Enlightened
keep a keyring backup,you'll use it more than you think. :ohgeez:

How true! While reading about Crees and lumens and huge throw, I never used to think much of the lowly little light that can fit on a keychain until I've needed mine--countless times! When it's pitch dark, ANY light is precious! Since I carry my keys everywhere, the light is everywhere I go.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
How true! While reading about Crees and lumens and huge throw, I never used to think much of the lowly little light that can fit on a keychain until I've needed mine--countless times! When it's pitch dark, ANY light is precious! Since I carry my keys everywhere, the light is everywhere I go.

The lights out in the bathroom thing sounds like it is more common than I thought! The value of a keychain light in this situation is very high. I work with special needs adults, and at a special o's event, power was lost to an entire building. Out of 75 staff, I seemed to be the only one with lights. Someone borrowed my keychain light and used it with panicked people in the locker rooms, while I used a Fenix P1CE from my belt to light the rest of the building well enough for people to move around safely. The power wound up being out for several hours, and the event was cancelled. We used additional lights from my backpack to evacuate everyone. I am still amazed to this day that I seemed to be the only person there with lights!

Also, this took place during daylight hours. Even with the sun blazing outside, the interior of the building was almost pitch black.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
LOL our bathroom at work is on a 15-20 min timer, so when im sitting down, the lights normally go out, so out comes the flashlight till someone walks in or i feel like getting up

Illum

Flashaholic
our campus bathrooms have the light switch on the OUTSIDE of the bathroom. Despite signs that state otherwise, its common practice for professors to turn off their classroom lights and the bathroom lights as well...in conserving electricity so the classroom light switches say:shakehead

I've been caught in the dark before...and I still do. Its probably why I'm also going back to take a third year of classes in that building [not really, just a coincidence:grin2:]

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed! At the building where my studies are, the power went out in the men's restroom also. The only light on my person was the McLux.III.PD. But for some reason or another, the batteries were DEAD! :( Man Alive! I didn't even check it that morning before leaving the apartment and DID NOT PLAN on carrying SPARES! :ohgeez:

Live and Learn. . .:eek:

This is why my EDC must be able to run on rechargeable cells (with decent runtime available, not just a direct drive rocket-flare). With rechargeables, you always leave the house knowing exactly how much gas is in the tank to rely on. It's the primaries I use as backups.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That happened to me too just last week. Luckily I had me EX10 with me. It so nice to see the whole room lighted up by this small light.

rayman

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why my EDC must be able to run on rechargeable cells (with decent runtime available, not just a direct drive rocket-flare). With rechargeables, you always leave the house knowing exactly how much gas is in the tank to rely on. It's the primaries I use as backups.
THats exactly why i switched to rechargables. Always leave with a full tank.

The bathroom at the place where i am reahearsing currently with my theatre company, has a dead flourescent tube, and no one is bothering because no one goes there at night. Well, one time we rehearsed until late....and people needed to use the bathroom which was one floor down in a creepy-at-night building that didnt have much light. Guess who saved the day...:naughty:

Crenshaw