any development in UK's knife ban?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

leduk

Enlightened
Craik-pot.

"Durham Police chief John Stoddart and North Yorkshire top cop Della Cannings have so far refused to get behind it."

So Craik is one out of three in the North East.
If two out of three ain't bad what's one Craik-pot view?

We're into what we call silly-season here for the red top tabloid tosh touting hacks.

It was a slow news month (until the middle East kicked off again . Its like being back in the Eighties trying to get peace there and stop nuclear power stations here. At least we've still got the good old Tories in government! Bring back hanging.)

Anyway, the hot weather seems to have melted the man's brain.

There are thousands of swords hung up on the walls of the inbred upper classes. Before Craik starts on kitchen knives and skewers, he'll have to get rid of the swords from the toffs.

The last mass demos in the UK were not about tightening knife laws but about banning fox hunting with dogs. Apparently 1 million demonstrated. Anyway the law changed and the toffs just keep on hunting with dogs.

Do not worry about loosing sharp pointy things as the upper classes and the establishment will stop the rot and psychopaths will still be able to wander the streets killing innocent people with samurai swords. You can't have a country house or castle without a suit of armour and a few swords.

Is it true, each year, more US women are killed in the domestic violence murders than people are murdered in the UK as a whole? Now is that because they've got big mouths or because their men pack big weapons? Why are you so concerned with the views of a UK copper when there are bigger fish to fry.
Look, get over it. :dedhorse:

"Police don't like pointy things".
No sh*t Sherlock.

(I told myself to ignore this thread, I'd better go and get some more medication, Nurse! Nurse!).

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
TinderBox (UK) said:
mabe they should just make knives out of plastic and get it over an done with.

because that looks like were it`s heading. :toilet:

regards.

Non-metallic "Stealth" knives are illegal.

tradderran

Newly Enlightened
fordwillman said:
Wow!
I had some time today and found this post and I read the "whole thing"! As an American who lives in Mesa, Arizona (oh, oh, the wild west) and who appreciates and is thankful for my freedom to own a knife or a gun, I honestly could not believe the attitudes of some of the British posters! I guess "brain washed" is about the best word I could come up with.
I would never want to come to England, and Kevin--sorry mate, but I positively would NEVER come to Malaysia, with your laws!!!
I am still kind of stunned. The British turned back the Nazi hordes, but now 60 years later, you're happy not to have kitchen knives for fear of the crime that someone "could" commit with them???

I have to agree with you on this. I have been to the UK on several occasions.
and each time they have less freedom.
As it has been said before THEY WILL GET MY GUN'S OR KNIVES WHEN THEY
PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS. AND THEY WILL BE SMOKING.:touche: :xyxgun: :thumbsdow

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
TinderBox (UK) said:
mabe they should just make knives out of plastic and get it over an done with.

because that looks like were it`s heading. :toilet:

regards.

Yeah, "glass-filled" polycarbonate or cyclic olifin copololymer or PEEK, or.... :crackup:

I always carry my Bic (ballpoint) when I fly! :D

Larry

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr 'sit on his *** and make up new crimes while he should be upholding the law' would croak if he saw my plastic knives. He's clueless. He's also a boon to thugs and anyone else who has already decided that they won't stop breaking laws until someone stops them.

He should get into law enforcement.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not beat up on our Brit friends. Most countries have far more restrictive weapon laws than the United States.

I was told by a German attending a firearms course in Los Angeles that he would be arrested if the German authorities found out that he had received weapons training.

There are countries with far worse crime than the U.S. and more restrictive weapon laws. What a great combination. "Hell is the impossibility of reason."--quoted from Platoon.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not mean to sound like I was picking on the Brits. In fact in order to carry one of my plastic knives legally in my town I must alter it so it's a single edged weapon. So the genius in the article is only afraid of "pointy" things while my own local genius is only afraid of knives that may cut in more ways than one. They are equally wrong headed and they are each a menace to their own society.

It is also true that behind my criticisms of any form of gun/knife control, I know that these futile measures never reflect the sentiments of 100% of the good, law abiding citizens that are negatively impacted by them. My heart goes out to all law abiding Brits who are constantly being told that they are the real cause of their crime problem and I feel the same way for those who must endure the same hogwash, in the name of Law Enforcement, right here in the States.

We're not that far behind Airstrip One.

Last edited:

leduk

Enlightened
From the BBC article quoted above, you can see that the number of robberies a decade ago was 104,750 (no knife ban).

Last year 42,020(knife ban).

That's a little more than no effect.

:dedhorse:

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that there were changes made in 1998, 2002, and most recently April 2006, to how crimes are reported might be a more likely explanation for such a drastic change in the last 10 years. I find it difficult to believe that with such drastic rises in crime over the last couple years that it is still lower than in 1996. I was unable to find the link, but I recall reading an article a few weeks ago that mentioned that one of the changes in the crime reporting methods was to only include crimes which resulted in a conviction instead of all reported attacks.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
leduk said:
From the BBC article quoted above, you can see that the number of robberies a decade ago was 104,750 (no knife ban).

Last year 42,020(knife ban).

That's a little more than no effect.

Incorrect.

They just altered the manner in which they complie statistics, to artificially lower the numbers. Crime has risen in the UK, robberies are up, regardless of what the hardly impartial, state operated, BBC "reports."

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
at the end of the day, no matter what we say, we will be viewed as Brit-bashing, so if the people feel safer then let them be. All I ask is for them to keep the control-hungry government on their side of the pond and don't export any ideas. We have enough of that here as it is. I learned my lesson, what do I know, I'm just a Brit-bashing idiot who just wants to see Brithish people to have more rights.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not Brit-Bashing, I'm bashing dumb laws that do nothing to deter crime while making easier targets out of good law abiding citizens. I don't care if they're Brits, Americans, or members of any other country - everybody should have the ability to protect themselves and other members of the public. That requires both personal defense arms and the legal right to possess and use them when threatened.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonShock said:
I'm not Brit-Bashing, I'm bashing dumb laws that do nothing to deter crime while making easier targets out of good law abiding citizens. I don't care if they're Brits, Americans, or members of any other country - everybody should have the ability to protect themselves and other members of the public. That requires both personal defense arms and the legal right to possess and use them when threatened.

I know, none of us intend to bash the british people, but some UK CPFers take offense in what I say and view that as Brit-bashing. That I cannot control. What defines us as liberal(in the classical sense)-democratic societies is our ability to choose our way of living, but the social liberals are quick closing the gap between us and the authoritarian governements around the world.

I'm not a practicing Christian(my grandparents and parents are, sort of), but I believe firmly in the commandment "thou shall not murder", and the bible clears tells us that self-defense is a necessary part of life. Punishing the innocent for the crime of the wicked is no way to treat any people if you hold all people to be equal.

leduk

Enlightened
The thread is dead but still manages to kick a little.

Datasurus: I find it amusing to quote statistics, claiming both that they are valid and back up your argument but they are invalid and still back up your argument.

207: What was it Jefferson said about religion? And how does that sit with his views on rights to bear arms? Is he right on one and wrong on the other?

We live in different countries with different societal values that kind of work for us.

If you want to say "knife amnesties don't work" please do. If you want to say "statistics are bunk" please do. Start a new thread.

There are NO changes in the UK knife laws. A couple of folks are unhappy but the majority of us rub along just fine.

Cheers