any LED can beat Malkoff M60?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optics vs reflectors seem to have come a long way since the fraen lux III combination.
Have a look at this page for some interesting information on Optics:

http://www.fraensrl.com/faqs.html#Q1

TIR optics which are in use by SF and the optics used on the Malkoff drop in seem to me to be big improvements.
My E1B has a nice round beam (old optics projected images of square LuxIII emitters somewhat well but the beam was ugly) and is very bright. SF's tir really does a fine job of concentrating all of the emitters energy into the beam. The E1B has virtually no side spill. The Malkoff light has a completely different beam of course.
Anyway this technology is very interesting.
Yaesumofo

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was drawn to the M60 for its optics as well. Any ordinary company can make an aluminum light with a cheap reflector and questionable thermal path. It take a lot more work to produce a light module with a quality optics, and a solid construction to ensure proper heat management.

Yapo

Enlightened
Oh yeah i forgot about the heat issue! maybe they should make aluminium optics holders instead of plastic ones...

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
If we are talking in terms of P60 drop-ins, there isn't anything out there that matches the quality of Gene's unit. Perhaps I should rephrase that, but I won't.

As far as pure output, there are those that may have better throw or better spill, but the overall beam shape and quality of the M60 the best I've tried (and I've tried most of them) for my particular use. That being said, it doesn't mean they are best for your use.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Oh yeah i forgot about the heat issue! maybe they should make aluminium optics holders instead of plastic ones...

You mean glass optics instead of plastic ones. Reflectors are usually made out of metal, except when they are not, such as plastic reflectors coated with a reflective material.

Bill

BMF

Enlightened
I just walked out in front of my house to check the neighbors for Earth Hour with Task Force 3C White Cree using 18650 and I can say it out throws 6P with MN60 at 230' by Google tools.

Yapo

Enlightened
You mean glass optics instead of plastic ones. Reflectors are usually made out of metal, except when they are not, such as plastic reflectors coated with a reflective material.

Bill
na i ment the optics "holders".... you can see that the one used in malkoffs are plastic...aluminium would transfer the heat better than the current plastic being used and light reflecting off aluminium might even increase the output by a certain degree but how it would affect the beam pattern could be good or bad....and then increasing the current draw might also be possible but its still great the way it is