Any suggestions for a model?

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'm new and have been lurking for a while...

I kinda narrowed down the features I want and I'm at a loss.

I would like a very durable and waterproof med size light in a AA or C. Good so far right? The problem is that I also would like it cree or seoul or rebel. I kinda like the plastic body too.

The Streamlight polypro is perfect except the best led they have is Lumex (sp?)

I would SO love to try to mod PolyP like in the thread but having barely even opened a Maglite before im sure I would probably just ruin it.

Any other models that jump out at you that might work for me?

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the reply!

Yeah i like that one! Their site is kinda confusing me though - it wont take a C or AA will it?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
it takes CR123's but just get rcr123's, you can get cree or seoul led drop-in's or go incan with lumens factory. need a little more info on what you looking for (output,runtime,price) to be of assistance.

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
it takes CR123's but just get rcr123's, you can get cree or seoul led drop-in's or go incan with lumens factory. need a little more info on what you looking for (output,runtime,price) to be of assistance.

Really no set (output,runtime,price) constraints - just want to take advantage of the whats technologically available for output and runtime in a med size package. Also I would like it to be able to take some hard knocks and very waterproof.

the lumapower m3 can take AAs how do you guys feel about lumas? Also underwater kinetics have some that look like it will fit the bill too.

Also are there certain brands that lend themselves to new led modification easier than others?

ensile

Enlightened
buy something cheap now, wait a month. you'll see some really impressive lights coming out

jbosman1013

Enlightened
well you might like some thing like what i got, surefire C2 with seoul led and 2xrcr123 3.6v batteries. this combo is bullet proof and water proof with 100+ lumens of nice white light. the thing i like about the light is that it has a pocket clip for easy carry and a soft rubber ring that gives a positive grip. If you are looking for something smaller like a 1xAA than get the fenix L1D-CE.

my combo= $75
fenix L1D-CE= $55

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
well you might like some thing like what i got, surefire C2 with seoul led and 2xrcr123 3.6v batteries. this combo is bullet proof and water proof with 100+ lumens of nice white light. the thing i like about the light is that it has a pocket clip for easy carry and a soft rubber ring that gives a positive grip. If you are looking for something smaller like a 1xAA than get the fenix L1D-CE.

my combo= $75
fenix L1D-CE= $55

looks like a good combo!

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
buy something cheap now, wait a month. you'll see some really impressive lights coming out

really? whats coming out... sorry I'm a newbie im sure there is a subforum that answers this question ;)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Guys, I think he said that his main requirements were AA and latest LED tech which rules out the G2.

It doesn't get any more simple than this.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product...id=70&osCsid=1dff9da41424ee397f922ad9e3040b36

The L1DCE uses AA batteries, XRE emmiter and best of all it's a good value. You'll may be buying more lights down the road so buy something of good value now and if you like you can get crazy later. :)

EDIT: Just noticed Jbosman already said L1DCE

Last edited:

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
Guys, I think he said that his main requirements were AA and latest LED tech which rules out the G2.

It doesn't get any more simple than this.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product...id=70&osCsid=1dff9da41424ee397f922ad9e3040b36

The L1DCE uses AA batteries, XRE emmiter and best of all it's a good value. You'll may be buying more lights down the road so buy something of good value now and if you like you can get crazy later. :)

EDIT: Just noticed Jbosman already said L1DCE

Yeah i keep coming back to this one ;)

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I bought the light from one of my brothers friends for $30, 4 batteries and charger $25, and the led from DX for $12. you might be able to find this light on ebay for about the same price.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want rugged and prefer a plastic body as stated in your first post, reconsider the ProPoly 4AA Lux. Even though it doesn't have the latest Cree or Seoul, the Luxeon it uses and the way it is driven gives very good output with great runtime, and it works well on NiMH rechargables if you want that option.

If you do your own mod on a waterproof light and then it leaks, it might be hard to get warranty service. The ProPoly is legendarily rugged, waterproof and has great warranty coverage.

What will be your main intended use for the light?

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
I bought the light from one of my brothers friends for $30, 4 batteries and charger $25, and the led from DX for $12. you might be able to find this light on ebay for about the same price.

cool - how much is a c2 new?

PaulHsu

Newly Enlightened
If you want rugged and prefer a plastic body as stated in your first post, reconsider the ProPoly 4AA Lux. Even though it doesn't have the latest Cree or Seoul, the Luxeon it uses and the way it is driven gives very good output with great runtime, and it works well on NiMH rechargables if you want that option.

If you do your own mod on a waterproof light and then it leaks, it might be hard to get warranty service. The ProPoly is legendarily rugged, waterproof and has great warranty coverage.

What will be your main intended use for the light?

Outdoor stuff - camping and bowhunting etc

Yeah it was what I was about to get - until the "better and brighter" bug hit :)

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoor stuff - camping and bowhunting etc

Yeah it was what I was about to get - until the "better and brighter" bug hit :)

I don't think you can get a better light for outdoor use for the price than a ProPoly [$24 - $27 at Fox-Intl now].

Do you have a headlamp for camping? They are really useful around camp.