Anybody pumped for "The Thing 2011"?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember first seeing part of the 1982 version playing on pay TV at noon, while we where waiting for lunch to be ready. Obviously, we had to catch the part where the guy's head falls off and turns into a spider. No one was hungry that day and there were plenty of left overs, but I did want to see the whole movie and finally did a few weeks later. That was THE most horrific movie I had seen at that time. Now I can't wait to see this new one, but I agree that it looks more like a remake than a prequel.

That's something I learned very early on, definitely not a popcorn movie. The grossest part without question is the dog kennel scene.

Lesson 101#- Do not attempt to eat when watching John Carpenter's "The Thing". Of course I do have a close friend who has an iron stomach, there's very little out there that could make him loose his appetite, this movie could do it possibly.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1982 movie "The Thing" is available to stream on Netflix currently, by the way.

Anyone interested in (re)watching, do it quick! It won't take much for Netflix to send it back on DVD only status, with the new movie out and interest rising...

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The entire movie is on youtube in hq right up until the end, then for whatever reason whoever whatever removed the last 15 minutes or so, probably an attempt to make you go out and buy the movie to see how it ends.

Vince_88

Newly Enlightened
As a fan of the original "The Thing" I was both excited and a little worried for a re-imaging of a movie I had first seen when I was 10. Yes, I know I'm still a kid but watching that ever-changing writhing mass of humanoid/alien/spider/dog flesh move about the screen with Kurt M-F Russel chasing after it scared the living daylights out of me. Guess I shouldn't have watched it at midnight by myself in a storm. lol. Regardless, I hope this re-imaging lives up to it's name-sake and gives me the same creepy, writhing feeling in my gut that the original did those years ago.:D

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a fan of the original "The Thing" I was both excited and a little worried for a re-imaging of a movie I had first seen when I was 10. Yes, I know I'm still a kid but watching that ever-changing writhing mass of humanoid/alien/spider/dog flesh move about the screen with Kurt M-F Russel chasing after it scared the living daylights out of me. Guess I shouldn't have watched it at midnight by myself in a storm. lol. Regardless, I hope this re-imaging lives up to it's name-sake and gives me the same creepy, writhing feeling in my gut that the original did those years ago.:D

Are those his middile initials??? :thinking:

:crackup::laughing::crackup:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Looking forward to this, The original was one of very few films that ever scared me (ok i was 9 when it came out). This and "Salem's Lot" with David Soul / James Mason. (particularly the bit where hes trying to hammer a stake through the devil things heart and it wakes up, or when the kids dead brother appears at the window)

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just watched the Carpenter classic again last weekend...it still holds up after all these years. I hope the new one is done as well.

At least it looks like they have flashlights in the new one, they only had a couple in the '82 version...they mostly used flares to see "Things" in the dark.

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
John Carpenters 1982 classic "The Thing" is my favorite movie of all time. This film just delivers on so many levels, fear, terror, claustrophobia, paranoia, overwhelming soundtrack by Ennio Morricone and a little dark humor thrown in for good measure. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend seeing it right away.

Dude... That's my favorite movie of all time! I'm dreading the remake! The original is perfect! Why mess with perfection? They're going to turn it into CG CRAP! Watch! I hate what Hollywood has become... instead of renting a helicopter, they just program one into the scene! I hate it! It's soooooo transparent... If they used latex and goo and whatnot like in the original movie (the original head of special effects was hospitalized for exhaustion during filming) and kept out any love interests then... maybe... I could possibly watch it...

For anyone who hasn't seen John Carpenter's The Thing, please do so... Watch it alone... at night... with the volume up!!! A masterpiece!!! :D

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear ya about special effects...it's amazing what was accomplished in The Thing! It was the same guy that did the effects in The Howling, as well, another amazing movie!

CGI definitely takes away from a lot of movies. They should do it old school like they did with the '82 Thing.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude... That's my favorite movie of all time! I'm dreading the remake! The original is perfect! Why mess with perfection? They're going to turn it into CG CRAP! Watch! I hate what Hollywood has become... instead of renting a helicopter, they just program one into the scene! I hate it! It's soooooo transparent... If they used latex and goo and whatnot like in the original movie (the original head of special effects was hospitalized for exhaustion during filming) and kept out any love interests then... maybe... I could possibly watch it...

For anyone who hasn't seen John Carpenter's The Thing, please do so... Watch it alone... at night... with the volume up!!! A masterpiece!!! :D

My favorite movie of all time as well, however, the new movie actually isn't a remake of the original, it is going to showcase the events that took place at the Norwegian camp where "The Thing" was discovered.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this thread last night and today I had to go buy The Thing on blu-ray, I haven't seen it in about a year so this is going to be good. :eek:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're going to turn it into CG CRAP! Watch! I hate what Hollywood has become... instead of renting a helicopter, they just program one into the scene! I hate it! It's soooooo transparent... If they used latex and goo and whatnot like in the original movie (the original head of special effects was hospitalized for exhaustion during filming) and kept out any love interests then... maybe... I could possibly watch it...
Shao, Forgive me my friend, but you sound more than a little jaded here. While it remains to be seen if the remake is any good, how about giving the film a chance. They are not relying on CGI alone.

"Image Engine, the effects house that worked on Neill Blomkamp's District 9 created the special effects for "The Thing 2011" and the film employs advanced animatronics techniques not available in 1982 that are enhanced by CGI, rather the CGI alone."

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shao, Forgive me my friend, but you sound more than a little jaded here. While it remains to be seen if the remake is any good, how about giving the film a chance. They are not relying on CGI alone.

"Image Engine, the effects house that worked on Neill Blomkamp's District 9 created the special effects for "The Thing 2011" and the film employs advanced animatronics techniques not available in 1982 that are enhanced by CGI, rather the CGI alone."

Guys guys guys, it's not a remake of the 1982 film, the new film is going to showcase the events that took place at the norweigan camp where "the thing" was found, this new movie just happens to share the same name thats all

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I meant prequel, as I mentioned in my previous posts here but the point is that it will use animatronics as well as CGI.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just stumbled upon this thread.
Never knew anything about this new movie.

lovecpf

Will certainly see this, when it hits DirecTV.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I saw it tonight...it wasn't as good as the '82 version, but it was still pretty damned good and creepy. :eek:

Anybody else seen it yet?

Redstarny

Newly Enlightened
I loved the 1982 movie, and I'd like to see the new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matthew 7:7