anyone else here shave there head or cut there own hair?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i started in around 1996 went from super long hair to shaveing it off. as i age it isnt as easy to do. any of you other self maintain your hair ?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been doing it since the late 90's with an electric clippers. Nowadays, since about ten or fifteen years now I just shave my head every few days mostly. I'm lazy so I shave my head and face at the same time and I have more hair on my face than my head these days. What type of problems are you having? I'm pretty good at it after this much practice and if I let myself go for too long I use the clippers first on my face and head, then move to a quad blade razor. It usually doesn't take me too long. I just hate the beard pinch from electric razors if I let it go for more than a few days. My face at that point is like I'm chopping down trees, so it's brutal and almost makes me wish I was a neckbeard.

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
Been doing my own cuts for better than 15 year. Super curly hair has always kept me from having any "styling" done that didn't involve LOTS of products. My hair cut is basically "shearing" a sheep, Baaah. Gotten to the point I don't even use a mirror. Save a bit better than $300 a year

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started cutting my hair during the first corona lockdown in march 2020 and since I didn´t seen any difference I´ve never been at the barber´s ever since.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I worked for the gubment there was one guy who others would ridicule about his bad haircut. His new bride would cut his hair and it didn't look bad at all to me. One day my boss said to the guy "you should go where I go to get a haircut, it's only $35". The guy replied "you could pay $200 for a haircut but you'd still look like a sleestack".
Doh!
He had a point, 'cause the dude was ugly.

I started cutting my own hair with scissors in the 90's. If I wanted short hair, or just a trim, long on the top like 1940's mobsters, or just some cereal bowl looking dew that was the result.

For those who don't remember,
4C87A64D-858F-4406-B894-C106168AB988.jpeg

Sleestacks from that 1970's show Land of the Lost

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing my own haircuts for decades, using a scissors for hair and the trimmer on my Norelco shaver for sideburns and neck. Don't miss barber shops at all.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a pensioner I'm always looking for ways to save money, but having an attractive young woman spend time cutting my hair is an exception. Although lately, it's been my daughter. That's my shortest haircut since 3rd grade!

Attachments

• IMG_E8197.JPG
    IMG_E8197.JPG
    671.8 KB · Views: 90
As a pensioner I'm always looking for ways to save money, but having an attractive young woman spend time cutting my hair is an exception. Although lately, it's been my daughter. That's my shortest haircut since 3rd grade!

About 20 years ago I was having this experience when at the end of the haircut the attractive young woman poured some lotion in her hands and started to massage it into my scalp. Well sirs, as my eyes rolled back into my head I heard myself say - "My wallet is in my back pocket. Take all the money, just don't stop doing what you're doing."

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Other than a few years, I'v been cutting my own hair for around 20 years, probably more.
Not totally sure how much money I'v saved doing it myself.

chip100t

Enlightened
I have been doing mine for twenty years or more. Use clippers with out any attachments and the little lever set to the closest cut. Do this once a week or so.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When I was in HIgh School, Farah Fawcett brought the Shag hair style into vogue. I'd get mine cut at a "Uni-sex" shop. The stylist once said to me, that I could save some money, by just trimming around the ears myself. So I started doing that.

I'll extend my monthly cut to 6-8 weeks by cleaning around the ears with a trimmer. During the two years of covid, my daughter did it once or twice, and sometimes I did it all myself.

Now, I'm back to extending my cuts out to 6-8 weeks.

Last time I had a young lady doing my hair and she had long braids extensions. She told me that the gal who did her hair spent 6 hours on it, so she gave her a $20 tip!

So I said, since you'll be with me for about 15 minutes, at that rate I should tip you, what? 25 cents? We both laughed, and I gave her $4.00

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
how much is a haircut these days?

Not sure. Last time I paid for a haircut was at Fort Jackson in 2012 and I think it was around $5. I told them I've been cutting my hair myself for free since the 90's. Plus I came into BCT bald anyways. They didn't get my humor. #armystupid

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol in boot camp i recall when we all got are hair cuts. omg it sucked back then..