Anyone here listen to the radio show called Coast to Coast AM?

Vesper

Enlightened
I've listened to C2C since 1990 - back when Art was still talking politics on a regular basis. I still listen almost every night while working but my interest wanes by the year. I was very sad to see Ian Punnet go as I liked his humor and ability to hold his own in interviewing almost anyone. Have consistently been pretty luke-warm on Noory and am looking forward to Bell on XM. I enjoy the mix of campfire stories, occasional politics, science, conspiracy, etc. It's nice to have a live show on when you're up working late.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I hope the YouTube pirates are on the ball, there's no way I'm playing ~$16/mo for a few dozen no-locality music stations; not when Netfilix and Hulu give me hundreds of TV series for half that, MLB.tv gives me every ballgame on every station for a fifth of that..

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
I used to work midnight shift as a mechanic at a slaughter plant. The guy that worked on forklifts all night listened religiously, when it would come in. We ran a wire to the roof, and had all manner of anttenni built. I was down there talking to him the night that they were talking to a guy from "area 51". He kept talking about how "they" were going to stop him. There was some kind of scuffle in the studio, and they went off the air. Tim was freaked out for the rest of the night. http://www.metatech.org/Art_Bell_Area_51_aliens_audio_tape.html

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the YouTube pirates are on the ball, there's no way I'm playing ~$16/mo for a few dozen no-locality music stations; not when Netfilix and Hulu give me hundreds of TV series for half that, MLB.tv gives me every ballgame on every station for a fifth of that..

+1 Totally agree. The satellite radio subscription model never quite rang my bell. It would have been great if satellite radio had been modeled more along the lines of a top notch internet radio app like Tunein, where a wide range of terrestrial radio stations could be accessed world-wide via satellite. I'd pay a fee for something like that, especially for use in a vehicle since otherwise I can use the internet for this purpose.

As someone who started listening in 1995, I would love to be able to hear Art Bell again on the airwaves. I've enjoyed a few of the hosts, especially, Knapp, Wells, Punnett and even occasionally Noory since Bell's time but the show has never been the same. The show used to often be riveting, regardless of the subject matter, now it's often boring and nothing more than a book tour stop or sales promotion for most guests. Nobody can do Coast to Coast or Dreamland like Art Bell.

M9WKAXc.jpg

IqLsKnn.jpg

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm also looking forward to Art's return. Reading that he'd be back on SiriusXM convinced me to accept a $25/6 month deal to renew the sat. radio.

Geoff

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to veer a little off topic here (just a little) because I think some of the folks following this thread (especially some younger ones) may find this interesting, especially if you're a fan of Art Bell.

As unique and interesting as Art Bell's Dreamland and Coast to Coast late night radio shows were, he was by no means the first to do this kind of thing. Some of us are old enough to remember lying in bed late at night in the dark, under the glow of the radio dial, listening to the elaborate tales of strange anomalous phenomena, the paranormal and UFOs brought to us by Long John Nebel and his interesting cast of offbeat guests, some of whom were regulars on the show. Sound familiar? Without Long John Nebel, there would have been no Art Bell. Like many of us, Art too grew up listening to Nebel as a kid and as a teenager and was deeply influenced by him. Long John Nebel was the original pioneer of late night talk radio as there had never been anything like it before and he garnered a huge audience. Late night radio was otherwise a dead time that stations didn't really know what to do with until Long John came along and WOR in NYC gave him the airwaves from midnight to 5:30 AM never anticipating the huge success it would become. He broadcast from the mid 1950s 'til his death in 1978 when his slot on WOR was given to a little known guy by the name of Larry King.

If you have never heard a Long John Nebel broadcast before, and even if you have, you may enjoy listening to all or part this 39 minute recording. If you are a fan of Art Bell's broadcasting it is impossible to listen to this recording without hearing Long John Nebel's influence on Art Bell's career which began around the time Nebel died.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
..and it's over. Art Bell's Dark Matter is cancelled as of tonight, with Art citing inability to stream the show for free to prevent piracy. The show aired for six weeks.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
..and it's over. Art Bell's Dark Matter is cancelled as of tonight, with Art citing inability to stream the show for free to prevent piracy. Tehe show aired for six weeks.

Ha! For anyone who had been a fan of Art Bell's "Dreamland" or "Coast to Coast" for a long time, this sounds all too familiar. What are the odds this ain't really over and he'll be back before long?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I was afraid Art wouldn't last long, but certainly longer than this. Well, now I won't feel bad about cancelling Sirius. And, I can stop backing the car into the garage so I could still receive it.

Geoff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm a little surprised that management didn't see that coming. Having his show hosted on a pay radio service seemed like the very opposite of what his show was about.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Having his show hosted on a pay radio service seemed like the very opposite of what his show was about.

And therein lies the problem; the other issue he cited was that satellite listeners are almost exclusively car listeners, so the only people calling in are driving or have to pull over. So satellite's out, podcasts won't work because they're not live, and that pretty much leaves only returning to a nationally syndicated terrestrial radio program. And he just burned bridges with the management that fired him from that gig, so now what?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
And therein lies the problem; the other issue he cited was that satellite listeners are almost exclusively car listeners, so the only people calling in are driving or have to pull over. So satellite's out, podcasts won't work because they're not live, and that pretty much leaves only returning to a nationally syndicated terrestrial radio program. And he just burned bridges with the management that fired him from that gig, so now what?

Live streaming audio. It's easy to produce and lots of people are doing internet "radio" this way. He would have to invest in the server and some heavy duty bandwidth but beyond that, he could run the show however he wanted to.

BTW one thing I never understood about the show or it's current iteration on AM radio - why so many phone numbers?
-West of the rockies
-East of the rockies
-Left of Sheboygan
-South of Atlantis
-first time caller line
-wildcard line
-hotline
-coldline
-zip line
-chalk line
-clothes line

Why can't they have ONE phone number? It's easy enough to sort incoming calls by caller ID.

Last edited:

Frijid

Enlightened
Live streaming audio. It's easy to produce and lots of people are doing internet "radio" this way. He would have to invest in the server and some heavy duty bandwidth but beyond that, he could run the show however he wanted to.

BTW one thing I never understood about the show or it's current iteration on AM radio - why so many phone numbers?
-West of the rockies
-East of the rockies
-Left of Sheboygan
-South of Atlantis
-first time caller line
-wildcard line
-hotline
-coldline
-zip line
-chalk line
-clothes line

Why can't they have ONE phone number? It's easy enough to sort incoming calls by caller ID.

I literately LOL'd at all those lines, like coldline, zip line!

I think it has to do with call screening the calls coming in. From my understanding art never screened the calls he got. Which i think made it more funny. I remember once on c2c with george, it was around the time when that metorid hit russia (back in feburary, i think) and a woman called in and said that the meteor was from aliens from mars and were "throwing" it at earth because we explore space to much! good humor.

Frijid

Enlightened

They did at one point have an archive for his shows, but some i think got their account canceled. I think they are a little more lenient with his show. I know if you upload a c2c show on youtube, the account will be gone within days.

Frijid

Enlightened
or the regular caller who claimed to be a time traveler who, back in 1997, asserted he was from 2063?

you talking about john titor? the guy who came from the future to get an old computer to debug the computers in the future? yeah i never understood, if the story is true, why he would come back to 97 and place an add for one in the paper. why not just go back to the year the computers were made and just steal one?

Frijid

Enlightened
Just wanted to post an update, but C2C just fired a regular host, for going to far "off-topic." I find it funny that a C2C would ever find anything off limits, but apparently it did. John B Wells was the host that was fired. His spot is now being filled in by temporary "hosts." John was also the narrator of the tv show "Alien files:unsealed" I predict C2C will nose dive in ratings because john reportedly would draw in larger numbers than george.