Arc R-G-B

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
My niece got a pair of Sketchers sneakers and a pen was included with them. This pen has the same type of RGB flasher but with every option that everyone wants! It goes through every color and than mixes the colors, (orange, teal, purple, etc) You can stop on any color. At the end of the cycle, it does the disco thing and flashes all the colors one after each other. It is very cool.

There may be 3 leds in there, have to check it later.

LEDependent

Enlightened
Are you talking about the Quasar pen? Those are very cool - I had one, but the blue die burned out so I just replaced it with a regular blue LED.
blue.jpg

The RGB flashing LED that started this thread sounds very similar to the one I purchased from LSDiodes. The Quasar pen has better fading - if you move the pen quickly, you can see it stepping across 256 or so brightness levels to fade.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I've got a vid of the X-light Rainbow rattling around somewhere as well. Will see if I can dig it out.

That's a light that serves no *practical* purpose, but is a permenent resident on this desk anyway...got to have something to keep me occupied while waiting for pages to load on this connection!

As for the rainbow ArcAAA, I'd certainly buy one if I could afford it...which I can't. (Currently saving up for Arc LS of some description).

(And as for that pen, I've got a multi-LED knock-off of that (3 3mm LED's red, amber, blue), it can be seen in my sig image underneath the gold Solitaire knock off, which is unsurprisingly, next to the Solitaires). Might try to get that up on my site soon...)

Catapult

Enlightened
The Photon X-Light fading sequence fades in and out much quicker than the Arc RGB. Funny thing is, I have a "defective" X-Light, where the fading sequence is very slow, much like that of the Arc RGB.

The Arc will probably maitain its brightness much better than the X-Light. I would prefer the Arc RGB over the Photon X-Light.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, I'm downloading it...a few minutes...a few more minutes...a few more minutes...dumb stupid dial-up.
There...it's finally done. I was on the {vulgar term for toliet} while downloading the last one, so I didn't ***** about my dial-up speed then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[playing...]

Very nice - the camera jiggle isn't bothersome at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I compared it with the Arc RGB video, and the Photon X-Light *does* run faster.

Thank you for providing that video. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think lights that change or go through a cycle are easier to find, or notice. thats why I think is sounds like a good dog collar light. easy to notice.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,
Have you considered doing another CPF edition ARC, perhaps this time with just the LED being different to keep costs down? I think if this does happen the person that suggested it first should get one of the first official ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe also add a serial number to each one and do a limited production run?

-Mike

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
I think it would be great to put on dog collars to make dogs easier to see at night.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good idea.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this will not happen...but for dogs at night, runtime is important as well as size. Now if these could be had in an Arc-AA. This would be fantastic to put on dog collars. If I could have such a thing, that would be fantastic. Long runtime with a cheap battery and dogs being more visable.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to say the RGB one wouldn't be cool, but..

I don't think the RGB would be as optimal for dog collar use. An alternate color and some sort of simple strobe would be good. Ala colored Photon 3 Crystal w/Crystal.

The upside is the strobe should extend the runtime. I would think a "dewdrop" of clear epoxy on the end would enhance the visibility.

You know, maybe this has a market - not specifically for dog collars, but as a bombproof marker light. R&D would be about none - different LEDs and add the epoxy.

In reality, I doubt I would buy the RGB light, esp. if it is more than the normal Arc AAA. But marker lights? Much more likely.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
I know this will not happen...but for dogs at night, runtime is important as well as size. Now if these could be had in an Arc-AA. This would be fantastic to put on dog collars. If I could have such a thing, that would be fantastic. Long runtime with a cheap battery and dogs being more visable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was thinking an optimal dog collar might be one with surface mount LEDs going all around it - maybe embedded in silicon or something. Bright, non-directional, they don't stick out, etc.

I agree tho - AA cell(s) seem optimal for a serious dog collar.

I do think the AAA marker light might work out tho. It's a pretty sexy form factor and sturdy enough that you might get backpackers and SAR types, etc.

-john

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photons are awful for Dog collars...not enough run time at decent brightness and they wont stay on and they get torn up. My dogs are currently equipped with thier own arc-aaa's. I tried to infinities for awhile but my dogs are better than that. I have tried a great many things but the Arcs seem to be the best I have found so far. If they flashed or changed colors...so much the better.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I want to put a 5mm LED like one of these into my MR-X to be used as the direct drive indicator LED. It doesn't have to be bright, I just think it's cool after having seen the Color Kinetics Sauce products. My questions are as follows:

1. Is the color-changing program built in to the LED (in the case), or is it some kind of an external chip? In other words, is the LED plug-and-play into anything that normally uses a 5mm LED? -YES

2. What kind of voltage/current does it take to run one of these LEDs? About 3.0-3.5 volts, 20-25mA from what I can tell

3. Where can I get one of these to put into my MR-X? Either the Sandwich Shoppe, or at This place

Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*edit*
I ended up answering some of my own questions, and McGizmo told me these were available at the shoppe. Thanks Don!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Try a Glo-Toob FX for dog collar use. That will be one hard-to-lose dog!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's pretty cool. I have no idea why I didn't noticed those before. I'll have to search for some reviews on the board. If they are small enough this would be pretty ideal.

The only thing I can't understand is why using that nasty battery? It seems like a single 123A or CR2 cell would be a much better selection?!

-john

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
LedModMan

Addition to Question 1)
If you are rich enough you can request a custom factory preprogram RGB LEDs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, this is cool, but is it anything more than a novelty (or some kind of Rave party accessory)?

Jon

Latest posts