Are you "distributed computing"? "folding or seti"

Willmore

Enlightened
Re: Are you

Because, when we got to the point where more digits wouldn't round up to +/- the volume of a quark in a volume calculation for the universe, people seemed to lose interest. Strange, I know....

Seriously, though. Last I heard, Pi was known to some *billions* of digits. That seems enough, no?

Ahh, but prime numbers and mersenne primes, they're different. Primes are infinite, but are mersenne primes? Some would like to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, that and the code for the Mersenne prime search is some of the best written x87 FPU assembly ever seen. Wanna test your power supply/heat sink/and chipset? Run Prime95 for a few days. That bargain heat sink/PSU might not have been all that much of a bargin.

I got into mersenne primes in college when I was working on early NFS work for the Cunningham project--an effort to factor numbers of the form a^n+/-1 where a is a small number. For a=2 and -1, you're talking about mersenne numbers. So, I got sidetracked onto them....

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Are there enough people interested that I should start a RC5 and/ or ORG team (from distributed.net)?
If we won, CPF could be our charity, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

*Update*
Almost 1/10 of 1 percent of the members here are on the CPF folding @ home team. The membership is growing like a moist match.

Darell

Flashaholic

Hi Shankus -

I've sent an email to you regarding your avatar, but haven't heard back. Any chance you could drop me an email? I have my PM turned off, but I just LOVE email...

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are you distributed computing?

I sent you one, and changed my address to the one I use more.

Darell

Flashaholic

We have contact! [sorry for the interruption guys, but I had a question about lights, and that simply takes priority, no matter WHAT forum we're in].

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
I had a question about lights, and that simply takes priority, no matter WHAT forum we're in.

[/ QUOTE ]

But of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Willmore

Enlightened

Come on, guys, it specifically says 'off topic'. Do we have to lock this thread and move it over to a more appropriate fourm? Don't make me sick Sabby on you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

Saaby? That little squirt? He's got [Saaby RULES!] nothing on me. Why I could [Saaby is KING!] take that little bugger and squash [bite me Darell] him under my pinkie.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, back to processor sharing....

Saaby

Flashaholic

My processor isn't really worth sharing guys...but some day when my dad's "work" computer comes in...the one he's probably going to let me use...

Bill.H

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
*Update*
Almost 1/10 of 1 percent of the members here are on the CPF folding @ home team. The membership is growing like a moist match.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, in the last two days the CPF team has grown by 33% - meaning 1 new member /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif On the brighter side, we made it into the Top 2,500
I really thought we'd have 50+ people within the first few weeks.

Brock

Flashaholic

Once I hit 10,000 over on seti I am going to switch over to something else. So should I do folding or ???

shrap

Enlightened

I'm that new member on Folding.

I looked at all the other distributed computing projects, and Folding seemed like the only one to have any meaningful significance. All the mathematical projects don't seem to have any point, although the project owners could just be really bad at explaining why I need to use my CPU power to find a 10,000 digit prime number.

SETI doesn't seem to have a purpose, and makes too many assumptions about the unknown.

As for breaking encryption - we all know brute force has to work eventually. They're always working on new encryption technology anyway, nothing is ever secure forever.

Willmore

Enlightened

A agree with shrap. I'm still working on the prime numbers, though. Force of habit, I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh, and it's 10's of millions of digits, not just thousands. We're talking big numbers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif www.mersenne.org /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, only 6 CPF Team Members now, but, we just surpassed the 100 work unit mark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Doing what we can to help find cures for diseases in the lifetime of your children. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif
(I don't have any children, myself.)

[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
So should I do folding or ???

[/ QUOTE ]
Please join us, they need all the help they can get, literally.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are you distributed computing? ** REVIEW **

OK, an update of our distributed computing teams:

SETI@Home

Team stats: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_161786.html
Current lead: Brock of 9.328 years!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
To join: Download SETI @ Home and then join at this page.

Folding@Home

Team stats: http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=32102
Current lead: Bill.H with 52 work units and a score of 1565.51.
To join: Use code 32102 when you install this.

Any more programs, by any chance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Brock

Flashaholic

I should break in to the top 10,000 users over on SETI soon, Then I think I will switch over to folding. So can someone explain it to me. I mean do you do one work unit then upload it and get a new one? Is there a way with folding to get say 5 work units so you don't need to be online to get new ones? I am sure I will figure it out as time goes on, but if someone has a neat way to do it I would be all ears.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are you \"distributed computing\"?

Now up to seven members, 146 work units.

*Brock*
I used to have a utility for Seti that cached work units, but I don't know if there is anything like that for folding. It would be nice. But for me, Folding takes 24-30 hours to complete a WU (1.1 GHz T-Bird, 640 M RAM), so, I don't have to log on often.