Are you "distributed computing"? "folding or seti"

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are you

Woo hoo! I went over 200 work units!

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Ok I'm running folding@home in the background and it's my screensaver too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for joining up, Saaby.

Our CPF team statistics are now:
Work Unit Count..593
Team Ranking.....466

We are in the top 500 teams, at least, but I thought we would have more members, since there are over 4000 of us in CPF now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

OK, I want to switch to folding from seti, but I have two machines that are not on the net, so I have to do dialup with them. So is there any caching program or version for folding? Maybe just switch my machines that are online to floding?

Brock

Flashaholic

Ok, downloaded the "console" version. As far as I can tell it is a dos window and I can't see it doing anything, but when I look in task manager fahcore_65.exe is using 99% of my cpu, so I am guessing that means it is working? I also put it on my wife's older 450, but that ones is running fahcore_78.exe is this normal?

How do I stop it if I shutdown? I assume just close the window? I dropped the fah console in my startup directory so it will start each time, is that the best way to do it?

raggie33

*the raggedier*

its been a while since idid foh brock.ill try to find ya some links though

raggie33

*the raggedier*

realy matters on the protien some are fast some are slow.ya get more points from the slows ones though

Brock

Flashaholic

Ok check out

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage?q=Brock

It says I have the two up on the top that are without a team, but I sure made all three machines were on CPF team. And how come I got credit for those two top ones, but they are still running on those two machines? The bottom two that were turned in were from the laptop, as far as I know the top two are still running on the 450 and 2 gig.

I know, I know I should probably just leave it alone and after time it will fix itself? I just don't want to run these and loose them somewhere.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are you \"distributed computing\"?

To shut it down, use control C.
To avoid forgetting to run the program, I put it in my start menu.

Different work units use different cores to process them. I think I have three on my machine now.
It downloads new ones as needed, automatically.

The console version should be a bit faster than the screensaver version, since it doesn't have to render the graphics.

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened

I just put my name on Seti@Home CPF group. The reason I run their distributed computing project is because I am more interested in Extra Terrestrial field and Technology, rather than on medicine or chemistry field /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Maybe those ET can help us speed up out effort in inventing 10.000 Lumens Luxeon that run on single AA battery without any step-up DC converter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can only dream for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UK Owl

Enlightened

The folding program looks a good idea if it can advance medical research. I used to run UD, and signed up on the premise it would be used to help research into cancer, but I decided to 'drop' it when they began sneaking military research stuff, aimed at cures for biological weapons like anthrax.

I believe that if spare processor time can help people overcome painful, disabilitating and often fatal diseases then it is both cruel and selfish to NOT participate, however if the military can spend the money to develop biological weapons such as anthrax, they can spend it to find their own cure.

Brock

Flashaholic

Ok, now were on a roll with folding, anyone else want to join? I finally figured this thing out. Sorry I jumped ship on seti, but folding just seemed a bit more helpful.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you distributed computing?

[ QUOTE ]
UK Owl said:
...if spare processor time can help people overcome painful, disabilitating and often fatal diseases then it is both cruel and selfish to NOT participate...

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I now feel guilty if I notice mine isn't running, for one reason or another.

I checked the page today. 9 members on the team now. Not bad out of almost 5000 members on CPF, huh?

Brock, what did you figure out? Is it something I need to know, too?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are you distributed computing?

I ran seti for a long time as well. When I found out about folding, I just kind of stopped seti. I think I ran both for a week or two.

Brock

Flashaholic
Re: Are you distributed computing?

Not really Shankus. I now understand how it is working, with the dos prompt, getting new work units and all.

I thought I saw an exe that would hide the dos window, but if it were hidden how do you get it back so you can see it? Or maybe it wouldn't matter since you could always look at those .txt files and log thingy? I might have to do that with my work computer since I tend to close all windows and keep stopping folding.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are you \"distributed computing\"?

Wow, a check today shows that we have completed 1659 work units!

I haven't checked in awhile, what a surprise...

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heh, well, this is a nice refresh! Unfortunately, I haven't run SETI in a while because my computer doesn't like background processes. I try to run it anytime I'm not using my computer though.

//Dan

Brock

Flashaholic

We need a couple more people to join our Folding team.

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=32102

We went from 600 something (overall place) to 271 as of this posting. We are on our way up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and for a good cause.

I have since started using hideit.exe All it does is hide the dos prompt. You can add many switches, like -show, then you can see it, or -hide to shide it.