AWR Nano Challenge Donation Thread

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I am going to go against the grain here but I've always felt awr was doing the best he could. How many people here have taken on a really big project? I built my own house doing almost everything myself. Right now I'm adding 3 rooms in a basement in another house where I now live. I thought doing the basement might take a month or two - it's been 4 1/2 months and I haven't even started sheetrocking yet. Big projects for me always take longer than I think. I've seen awr putting in long hours to the point of getting sick, starting a new relationship and getting married. I feel for those who have had to wait so long but such is the nature of building something new from scratch. I personally will never pay ahead for something in development - it would drive me nuts waiting but if you put yourself in that situation then you need to know that the person building something may occassionally want to 'have a life' other than their project and that things always take longer than you think to finish. He's offered refunds for those who don't want to wait and it seems he has been incredibly patient with all the 'jeers'. I may be out in left field on this - I don't really know all the details and the truth of everything but I don't know why anyone would intentionally drag something out like this - I don't believe he is out to torture everyone with a long wait or rip anyone off. Wishing the best for all involved.

Starlight

Enlightened
Hey moderators, this is a VERY thinly disguised jeer thread. How about moving it where it belongs.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
Please don't insult my thread. CPF will absolutely get these donations, it's all up to Andrew. I suggest this thread continue on it's course with the suggestion that going forward we only talk about donations that occur if the condition is met. There is only so much pressure that can be put on someone to perform. This is a challenge that will benefit AWR, it will benefit the members who he is selling to and it will benefit CPF.

Going forward please post only if you are adding a carrot. This is not intended as a jeer. It is a motivational tool. That's how I see it anyway.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Turd_Ferguson said:
Going forward please post only if you are adding a carrot. This is not intended as a jeer. It is a motivational tool. That's how I see it anyway.
Here you go:

In all seriousness, I do see Turd's spirit in posting this thread as a motivational tool. :twothumbs Turd!

awr, you didn't answer my question. :)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
me, I rebel against being pressured.. the more I am pressured by others the more I want to go to bed and pull the covers over my head..

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
"the complexity of the whole situation could never be understood from an outside observer,"

I have found that usually means................."you really don't understand, this situation is
............................(complex, different, you're too stupid, etc.)"

Egotistical and Grandiose..............some here mod and do projects and others manage same in real life............you somehow are misguided enough to believe, it's ME, and my situations are unique, different.

They are not............you have just (mis)handled them differently.

jeffb

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the initial nano was sold as a 1 at a time hand-made device like greg just mentioned... after a few month it became clear that was not 'deliverable' and the ckt board was designed and paid for by me... then a few months later, the new heatsink was designed and paid for by me... a couple 'big donations' then could have had the nano project done by now but it was 'my bed'.. my 'hole' to dig out of it.

smartpak boards were paid for by profits from my other sources of income, and so that i could finally have a product that was post-pay. the parts are all here i just don't have time to assemble them because not done with HDM6 or nano. There is no contradiction.

I don't think this is 'jeer' thread, just a couple jeers posted... it's like TF said a 'challenge'.. as he put it himself... one he probably can't lose, but it will be interesting to see how close i can come.

keep it civil there already is a 'jeer' thread jeers to belong there.

-awr

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
andrewwynn said:
Well i can put this challenge to rest right now.. Things are looking very good to have all the heads made and quiet a lot of everything assembled.. logistically, not likely possible to actually have them all made and shipped by the end of nov, but i'm actually going to see if it is..

. . .

-awr

Andrew, what does this mean?

You are putting the challenge to rest because

1. You definitely ARE going to complete and ship all nano orders by November 30

or

2. You definitely ARE NOT going to complete and ship all nano orders by November 30

???

Which is it? Or is there another way to put this challenge "to rest"?

Or are you using some dialect or quantum logic where a statement can actually be a superposition of affirming and denying both at the same time, and which will collapse, wave-function-like, when an OBSERVATION actually takes place? The observation in this case being "Hey it's november 30 and AWR (has/has not) shipped all nanos.

Curious.

greenLED

Flashaholic
andrewwynn said:
the initial nano was sold as a 1 at a time hand-made device like greg just mentioned... after a few month it became clear that was not 'deliverable' and the ckt board was designed and paid for by me... then a few months later, the new heatsink was designed and paid for by me... a couple 'big donations' then could have had the nano project done by now but it was 'my bed'.. my 'hole' to dig out of it.

smartpak boards were paid for by profits from my other sources of income, and so that i could finally have a product that was post-pay. the parts are all here i just don't have time to assemble them because not done with HDM6 or nano. There is no contradiction.
That's nice of you, giving custom lights away. Other than tvodrd, I haven't seen anybody else on CPF do this. :twothumbs

I'm rooting for ya! Keep up the good work and prove all these people wrong! :)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't get me wrong.. i actually love the idea of the challenge.. if i wasn't literally sick in bed for 5 weeks end of nov. was my own personal challenge deadline.. with 5 weeks lost.. it's now likely just a bit too impossible.. however i'm gonna see if it can be done, 'cause if enough things fall into place it is just this side of possible. More than likely.. the heads will all be done, the chargers will all be done and it will just be a matter of assembly and shipping.. picking a random arbitrary date out of the air not based on anything is an interesting if not illogical challenge.. the fact that people are putting $ where their mouth is to challenge me is in most cases an insult if you read between the lines.

the statement quoted by js is saying that more than likely the arbitrary date picked for the challenge was too soon... interesting and definitely a challenge but i'm not promisin' nothin' 'cause artificial deadlines only lead to disappointment. as soon as possible and with some serious pick-up in momentum is the actual and reasonable answer.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
to ask about the 'really big' project.. as evidenced by history.. nothing of the nature of what nano is was n will be was tackled and surmounted when all things are taken into consideration. PEU does some great stuff though, but not in an hour/day of 'able to work'.

-awr

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
andrewwynn said:
PEU does some great stuff though, but not in an hour/day of 'able to work'.

-awr

You really should have thought of that before you started all these projects and most importantly, COLLECTING MONEY from CPF members.. As far as I'm concerned, you have an OBLIGATION to deliver the product in a REASONABLE amount of time once money has been collected... This is REGARDLESS of whether you can work 24 hours a day or only an hour a day...

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't disagree with that. I made the bed, i didn't say i didn't deserve the grief.. my fault, my problem, i'll fix it.

-awr

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
I did not make the date, you did with stating you may have all the heads done on the 18th. It's not arbitrary at all. I can look at pictures and see the head is everything. The rest of the light is a tube and a battery. As for the chargers, I haven't read where they were a technical challenge so I assumed those were complete. That's not an unfair assumption.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Just a point of clarification, I know PEU and he does work Full Time! He also has a Job and a Life as well as other Hobbies BUT he loves making lights and does so in his spare time. I don't think it's fair to compare his endeavors to anything going on here.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
T.F.. i think it was genuinely a decent 'random date'.. it just isn't based on knowing all the facts. I hope i can pull it off even with the odds against me.

The charger boards are made and tested.. the need to be assembled into the heads.. not a very difficult thing but i don't have the heads to put them in.. don't know if they are in stock.. part of that 'minor miracle' to pull off the arbitrary date of 30nov.

PEU has never walked my path.. slower or faster.. sorry that's just an incorrect assumption based on not knowing all the facts.

If everything was 'in my court' it would be a much fairer challenge.. but i don't mind the challenge, i'm just saying.. i'm not making any guarantees, cause it wasn't a deadline i set nor based on enough data to set that deadline at a reasonable date to be possible... fun though cause there is an outside chance.

-awr

greenLED

Flashaholic
andrewwynn said:
The charger boards are made and tested.. the need to be assembled into the heads.. not a very difficult thing but i don't have the heads to put them in..
You've had 2 years to put things in your court... now it turns out you don't have the parts?

It seems to me that all the excuses have finally caught up with you. It's time to deliver and you have no parts, no money, and no real intention of delivering...
:huh2:

I truly wish you the best, awr, I truly do.