Back from Iraq with a few flashlight reports

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's some useful information on a very aggressively used Kroll switch. I wasn't familiar with the nFlex before, but now I understand why people are so excited over it, because of its variable power output. George really has done an awesome job with variable power converters! Since getting my U2 I'm a real sucker for variable power. Getting a Fatman-powered PocketMate-V soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I spoke to you before you left about the BB500 and sandwich issue. This is what I came up with after you left:
4m+3.jpg

Runs on 1AA, MadMax+ converter, or a single 14500 lithium ion cell (my current config) with scary brightness. However, for some reason, I wouldn't really depend on it as a mission critical light, but it is a nice light for use around the house. You can probably guess that this puts close to the power of your 2D MM+ light into a 1AA MicroMag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There have been some pretty interesting developments too, such as the Mag85. If you've been in a situation over there where you simply couldn't get enough light short of the sun showing up in the middle of the night, well, the Mag85 is a tiny piece of sun that's come down to earth to be encapsulated in a halogen filled glass envelope.

Keep us posted on your mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello BentHeadTX,

Welcome home. It's good to have you back.

It is great to hear how lights perform in different "work" situations.

The search continues for the perfect light...

Tom

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon,
The reason I mentioned the XM-3 is its heavy duty construction and I heard the switch was decent. Considering the night shift is always illuminating something outside, the Inova T4 rechargable would seem the logical choice. The power of the 2D Mag R2H MM+ in a smaller package (although it does not have a 9 hour runtime)

KevinL,
Nice selection of tiny cannons you have there, the output would be fine but the runtime might leave a little to be desired. LED lights have made serious inroads into lighting in war zones since I was last there in late May 2003. They went from a curiousity to mainstream quickly.

The next big thing is small single AAA and AA powered luxeon lights. Throw in variable output and it will be a huge hit out in the field. My thinking is a AAA on a lanyard, with a single or 2AA variable output light for the vest. Throw a lith-ion powered Luxeon cannon for throw and life is good.

So, it is time to see what Peak, Inova, Electrolumens, Nuwai and others have in store for 2005. I will be heading to Turkey for two years with my family, they would need Luxeon AAA lights for keychains and lanyards for roaming around in town. I fully expect Peak to beat everyone to the punch for the little guys, maybe even add variable output and my family will have EDC lights.
Don't worry about the cost, my wife understands the need for portable lighting in other countries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Geode

Enlightened
Great report, and glad you are back well. Nice to hear about some heavy field testing of lights. I agree with you about the quality of Peak flashlights.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
forgot to add, i also have a few ionva microlight red led lights. I always wear one on my uniform.

Zigzago

Enlightened
Thanks for the interesting report, Benthead. Glad you're back safe.

Any chance we could see a picture of the "armor" you added to the minimag? I can't quite visualize what the valve insert is used for.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh yeah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the E1e+KL1 and blue MicroMag are both in the 2+ hour range as runtime goes, but the MicroMag can accept any kind of cell - zinc carbon, alkaline, NiMH, 14500 lithium ion. The E2e-SG is for the collection and the rest of them all found new homes on B/S/T over the past few months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif I have quite a number of others not shown in that pic, so I had to let some go.

If I was to convert the stock KL1 to two-cell power pack I could get a lot more runtime, probably in the region of close to 5 hours, but the U2 on level 3, which is almost as bright (just a tiny, TINY bit dimmer), will stomp the KL1 with its ELEVEN hour runtime. How Surefire does it is completely beyond me but the phenomenal efficiency of the U2 makes it worth the price tag. You can probably guess I bought one too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
Outstanding review - thanks for taking the time to write with so much detail.

Most importantly, welcome back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will