Battery recharging for 3 Surefire models

yakface

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im a noob and would like some advice if possible regarding using rechargeable cr123's.
I have purchased a load of rechargeable 123's which are max 3.7v, i also have a charger with it.

I own a surefire m6 guardian, e2d executive defender and also an A2 aviator. all come with standard factory fitted lamp assemblies.
Ive tried scouring the net for voltage ranges, the charger charges up to 3.88v max, tested with multimeter.

I realise that in some cases you can blow the lamp and circuitry, and if the lights do seem to work an increased battery voltage may reduce the lamp life.:thinking:

Any assistance would be great.
thanks
craig

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Pretty much, you can't use those batteries at all, in any of the lights you have listed.

Some people have used them in the A2, but YMMV.

Sorry.

labrat

Enlightened
Hi, im a noob and would like some advice if possible regarding using rechargeable cr123's.
I have purchased a load of rechargeable 123's which are max 3.7v, i also have a charger with it.

I own a surefire m6 guardian, e2d executive defender and also an A2 aviator. all come with standard factory fitted lamp assemblies.
Ive tried scouring the net for voltage ranges, the charger charges up to 3.88v max, tested with multimeter.

I realise that in some cases you can blow the lamp and circuitry, and if the lights do seem to work an increased battery voltage may reduce the lamp life.:thinking:

Any assistance would be great.
thanks
craig

RCR123/rechargeable LiIons goes safely up to 4.20 Volts, and to really use all of their capacity your charger should charge them up as close to 4.20 Volts as possible.
But not over this limit!
So your charger is very inferior, if the supplied voltage without load is only 3.88 Volts!
The A2 Aviator have a regulator circuit within, that seems not able to take the higher voltage from rechargeable LiIons without dying/smoking!
So you should not use them in this light!
The other two you can get other lamps/assemblies for, that can take the added voltage.
Do a search around here and see what you like!
The standard factory fitted lamp assemblies will most probably blow the first time you press the "ON"-button on the light!

yakface

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help on this.
Ok here are my findings, ive used them in the m6, no problems and consistently bright used for 5 minutes then stopped, using mn21 lamp. No smoke or smell.

A2 seems to be brighter, again used for a few minutes then turned off, no smell or abnormal heat.

E2D went poof. so i will need to recheck the lamp

thanks again so far :)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well, you do the searching, but there are dozens of posts here on CPF where the 4.2volt RCR123's have been used quite safely. The buck voltage regulator can take up to 9 volts, at least. The only issue is the 3 LEDs that will be over driven using two RCR123's, either the lower voltage RCR's, that are touted to replace CR123's, or the higher voltage 3/6-4.2volt RCR123's. People are not reporting problems with the higher voltage and the three LEDs, but the potential is there. I have done bounce with lightmeter tests with the A2 using CR123's and the 3.6-4.2 RCR's and there is no difference in light output using the main bulb, with the LEDs removed, so the light is regulating well.

The E2D will have a problem with over voltage, and may insta flash with even the lower voltage RCR123's.

The M6 using the MN21 with six RCR123's, any voltage above the CR123 voltage, will probably cause the LA to fail.

Bill

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you already have a blown bulb in your E2D...you're out $15-20 already

READ THE THREADS IN THE LINKS PROVIDED!

Learn from others mistakes before you really end up costing yourself some money..

You already made about a $20 mistake and from the sounds of it, its only going to get worse/more expensive if you don't take the time to research..

We won't feel bad for you next time if you don't listen to our advice.

BTW...:welcome:

Look around and do research before trying it yourself.
Its VERY likely the answers to your questions can be found in this forum.:wave:

yakface

Newly Enlightened
So you already have a blown bulb in your E2D...you're out $15-20 already

READ THE THREADS IN THE LINKS PROVIDED!

Learn from others mistakes before you really end up costing yourself some money..

You already made about a $20 mistake and from the sounds of it, its only going to get worse/more expensive if you don't take the time to research..

We won't feel bad for you next time if you don't listen to our advice.

BTW...:welcome:

Look around and do research before trying it yourself.
Its VERY likely the answers to your questions can be found in this forum.:wave:

Thanks for your help.
I am not heart broken at the loss of a £18 lamp going poof.so please dont feel orry just yet, maybe if my m6 stops working i will require some sympathy:crackup:
Some of you guys may be a little complacent in the respect that when you post it seems like a new language to some of us (ME Definately) i find the talk goes over my head and i cant understand your flashlight talk just yet.

Ive spent a few weeks lurking here looking at the recharging options and as a poster has already said the main problems look like they will effect the 3 led's lights.

Maybe as i keep going it will star to make sense, but thanks for your welcome anyway, ill keep trying, but please dont think i am being ignorant, i realy am trying to understand the concepts :grin2::wave:

yakface

Newly Enlightened
Read this:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=161536

Now...read it again.

AND STOP USING THOSE CELLS WITH AN MN21.

These cells are not a replacement for CR123s.

They have completely different voltages (as you've found out) and their capacity and ability to handle current is totally different.

Thanks for this BTW, very good bed time reading, ill be reading it for a long time so it can digest.:)
Lots of info, cant believe so much science goes into a torch:eek:

1wrx7

Enlightened
I'll add a +1 for reading through the links provided. And :welcome:

That being said, LumensFactory bulbs are what you're looking for, for the M6 and E2D. They will allow you to safely use the rechargeables. Bi-pin adaptors are a great alternative but they will require a lot more research and $$$. Personally I would never use rechargeables in my A2, but check out the Strion kit... it's an awsome addition to the A2.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Look at Lumens factory for a lamp for your E2D that can be used with protected 3.7v RCR123s.

I don't have an M6, so I have only made a cursory look, but I think the lamp LF provides for rechargeables in the M6 requires you to use IMR cells. These cells have a different chemistry that can handle high current draw. These would be worth your time to invest in if you are keen to run the M6 on rechargeables. There is also a good post in the incadescent forum for M6 rechargeable options.

The reason you haven't blown your MN21 is because:
a. You aren't fully charging the cells.
b. The cells are strugling under the current draw and are failing to provide the voltage.

Both of these situations are potentially dangerous and may just make your M6 into a pipe bomb.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yakface, which RCR123's do you own? Are they the RCR's that are supposed to replace CR123's? People are thinking that you are using the 3.6-4.2 volt RCR's, and I think otherwise. What brand are they and what are their specs?

Bill

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Yakface, which RCR123's do you own? Are they the RCR's that are supposed to replace CR123's? People are thinking that you are using the 3.6-4.2 volt RCR's, and I think otherwise. What brand are they and what are their specs?

Bill

Well he says they are 3.7v max, which to me suggests 'normal' RCR123s.

But...he says fully charged they are 3.88v...which does suggest are possibly 3v RCRs, but 3.88 seems a bit high for these.

But... they instaflashed the E2D bulb, which could be either, but more likely 3.7v.

In any event, if they are 3v RCRs they are even worse for use in the M6, although probably ok for the A2 - but barely worth the effort due to their pathetic capacity.

yakface

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help so far everyone.
The battery deyails are 1cr 123a 3.7v 1300mah
description is 1:KTGDZ-1027 N1D2 10005550

Sorry if this doesnt ammount to much info, but i will read more of the links, so my m6 and a2 stay alive:naughty:, dont want to loose them:twothumbs

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks for your help so far everyone.
The battery deyails are 1cr 123a 3.7v 1300mah
description is 1:KTGDZ-1027 N1D2 10005550

Sorry if this doesnt ammount to much info, but i will read more of the links, so my m6 and a2 stay alive:naughty:, dont want to loose them:twothumbs

Brand name?

Bill