bedside flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Re: AA LED Flashlight - Nightstand / bump in the night light.

My experience with the sort of thing you describe is that a single light won't meet the need unless it's one of the HDS Systems units. A light with multiple output levels is needed, and only one with an extraordinarily wide range of outputs will do.

I have, and sometimes use, an Arc 4+ for this purpose, but usually simply go with two lights instead. A Paklite with glow cap rests on my nightstand for rambling around the house without waking family. The glow cap makes it easy to find in the dark. Its low bilevel output is perfect and the batteries last so long that we use these as nightlights while traveling. I also have higher output lights close at hand for "what was that sound outside?" use.

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
Re: Do you keep a flashlight near the bed?

Don't you just hate it when you roll over in bed, and a cold metal flashlight rolls over and touches your back? My fiance has let me know in no uncertain terms that this practice will end when my bed becomes our bed. We'll see:whistle:

jacklovell

Newly Enlightened

Always... an HDS EDC U60 XR fitted with a SureFire F04 Beamshaper.
With 'Forced On' set to 1 Lumen it is perfect for reading in bed without waking the boss. Also, 'Automatic Turn Off' mode ensures that the U60 switches off after 5 minutes in the event that I doze off which is frequently. :candle:

RigMedic

Newly Enlightened

At home, just a 3-D Cell MagLight on the nightstand...At work, a Pelican 4AA Stealthlite on the small desk near my bed in my room...

Last edited:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened

I keep 2 lights right on the floor next to my bed. A McLux III PD and a FM 700L. Those are my favorite lights.

Thanks

Max Brightness

Enlightened

On my nightstand I leave a Nuwai TM317 1AA with dual output switch. As I head to bed, I turn off the lights and use Surefire L1 or HDS U60 on low to light the path and leave on the nightstand until morning.

Minds_eye

Newly Enlightened

C4LED:

The UK eLED 4AA for example puts out more light and will out throw your X5. The price isn't bad and the size is still small

Also, you could get the TerraLUX MiniSTAR2 Minimag Upgrade - especially since you already have one to upgrade.

UK eLED 4AA - 4AA cells is a few more than I'd like to run (I usually have ones or twos of batteries laying around, but 4 would be something I'd have to buy), but the I'm fond of flashlights that enspire confidence when held :)

TerraLux MiniStar2 Minimag upgrade - Nice bit of kit, but I've become a bit of a beamsnob and find the holes / distortions in the beam shape to be little flakey.

------

bruddamoke:

Fenix lights are great all around, but a bit too bright for me for in-house needs, like trips to the bathroom. You will see a big improvement in throw compared to the X5, even using the L1P. Much tighter hotspot. Have both plus the L0P, rarely use he X5 anymore. Sounds like you bought an Arc, use that for in house, get a stronger thrower for peeking outside.

I would probably use the Arc, but as it's on my keys I prefer to have a seperate light for my nightstand.

------

LowBat:

Yes the L1P will outlast the L2P with alkalines, but the output of the L1P will be weak.

Fair point, well made. I guess if running for efficiency, then running the L1P at a consistent level would probably require more battery changes than with the L2P.

Also, welcome to CPF! I'm somewhat familiar with Merseyside. I spend a few days there with some friends in '93.

Thanks :) Where abouts did you see in Merseyside? It's a diverse city and is certainly changing all the time. Big things are afoot here since we won the European Capital of culture for 2008 ...

------

Nyctophiliac:

In a fight for my affections between a L1P and a L2P, the L1p wins hands down. I think you'd like it too.

What makes you prefer the L1P over the 2P? At the moment the L1P's pocketability seems quite handy, but the regulation of the L2P might be advatageous.

------

JSR:

None of the lights you mentioned match the characteristics of the X5 you're looking to replace. The X5 produces a fairly low amount of light with a very floody beam. I assume you like this so as not to wake up others when walking around at night or completely destroying your night vision. The Fenix lights are considerably brighter and may wake others up in the dark of night.

This is actually one of the things I was hoping to address in a new light; Whilst I appreciate the wide flood of the X5, it doesn't have the tightest of spots, which makes it a little ... ineffectual whilst looking out of the window.

Ideally I'd like a nice compromise between throw and sidespill, which I was hoping the Fenix lights offered.

Inova X1 - I considered this a while ago, but had heard that it was such a tight spot it was pretty useless. I'd heard recently that they'd changed them to a floodier beam, but are they adequately floody for a general use? I have to admit I'd prefer a clicky to this, but prefer a clicky that allows momentary on if possible.

Nuwai lights - Snobbishness comes into play again, and I find it hard to get past the smooth simplicity of them. They look a tad plain and likely to be a little dropped by me :/

------

Long John:

Hi Minds eye,
my hint is the Fenix L1P with the 2stage mod. With two 10 Ohm resistors you will have on low enough light inside the house and you klick on the switch, you will have a good light for the distance.
I feeds mine with 2600mAh nimh Accus and it works very well and for a long runtime. If you will walk through the night, take another cell with you and the runtime is longer than a L2P and the weight is lighter.
I'm absolutly happy with mine and if you compare different lights, take a look of a glas lens and an aluminium reflector, HA III coating and a very good r-bin Lux I LED.

Fenix with 2 Stage mod - Now this has me intrigued ... Does anyone offer this service? Does this just drop the output of the light down low, then provide a powerful beam (with no regulation on either)?

------

Dave Wright:

My experience with the sort of thing you describe is that a single light won't meet the need unless it's one of the HDS Systems units. A light with multiple output levels is needed, and only one with an extraordinarily wide range of outputs will do.

HDS lights - I was strongly considering these lights until I recieved my ARC AAA. I use a flashlight at work when I'm the last one in the office, to check the rooms are empty before I set the alarm. I was expecting to require a larger flashlight, however the ARC AAA has more than adequate output for that task, and therefore it would be nice to have something for home that was somewhat more economical to run as the original post describes :)

I have a Petzl Tikka XP(Clicky) that I carry whilst hiking, which offers a nice compromise between throw, spread and power levels (without being too complex for me), with the boost mode being nice for spotting things in the distance. It's a shame I can't find something in a similar price point for a hand held package (I am a little wary of the sliding lense though) :(

-------------

Flashlife:

Check out:
Coast 7840 Digitac, 1xAA, 1.25 W Luxeon, nice "directed flood", about 4-6 hr runtime, true momentary/clicky tail switch.

I've never seen these lights mentioned before (due to being a newbie). Are they well thought of?

Thanks all for your opinions. I'm still a little conflicted, especially with the recent price drop of Fenix lights, so any help is still much appreciated :)

Cheers

Minds_eye

Newly Enlightened

Additionally;

I don't suppose anyone has side-by-side pics of a Inova X5 with a L1P and possibly an L2P?

Cheers

Windscale

Enlightened

Tikka in the pocket of my tracksuit bottom which I wear. Another at least one or two on my bedside table mostly running on rechargeable AAs and/or AAAs. These lights are normally left at home. When I go out walking, I carry only 123A lights.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or do you keep a bed by your flashlights ?

Or a "Lazy Boy"

flashlife

Enlightened

Flashlife:
Check out: Coast 7840 Digitac, 1xAA, 1.25 W Luxeon, nice "directed flood", about 4-6 hr runtime, true momentary/clicky tail switch.

Minds_eye:
I've never seen these lights mentioned before (due to being a newbie). Are they well thought of?

The Coast Lights are generally not as well thought of on CPF as some others. Not sure why. I carry the Digitac and love it. It runs a long time on 1AA and is plenty bright.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

My usual SF-Z3 w/ M2 bezel is the "Response to things that go bump in the night" light.

RR/Nuwai 2AAA with Nimh rechargables or G2 with KR2 conversion are general purpose lights for just moving around in the dark.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Minds eye

About the 2stage mod of the fenix L1P I have read here in the forum. I think to remember the name of the member was cy. But he wrote a lot of posts and I can't find the right one. Perhaps another member can show you the link.
The mod is really easy to do and it works very well.
The regulation of the L2P is "better" than of the L1P, BUT the disadvantage is, the 2stage mod isn't possible (so I have read) and to use Nimh cells can be dangerous, because you can't see the right point to change the cells (deep discharge)
I put in my L1P nimh cells with 2600mAh and it works about the discharge curve like the regulation of the L2P.
I also have the Inova X5 (older model) and it's a good light. But i must say, the Fenix is much much better imo.
For the next two days I have no camera, so I can't show you the picture.
The lenght of the Fenix is 9cm and of the Inova is 12cm. The diameter is the same.

If you decide for the Fenix I'm sure, you will be happy:grin2:

Best regards

___
Tom

Here the link:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/100142&highlight=2-stage+instructions

Last edited:

Kirk

Enlightened

Wow! You folks make me feel kinda, I dunno, WEIRD! Here's what's on my night table:
Surefire: A2, M6, E1, Z2
Arc: AAA Green, Arc LS (2 of them)
ASP: TAC Light
Streamlight: Scorpion, TL 2L, TL 3C
Elektrolumens: 5 Watt
RiverRock: 4AA Lantern, 2AA, 2C, 1AAA, 2AAA
Eveready: LED Table Lantern, Quick Switch, 2 LED Folding Lantern
Inova: Radiant 2AA, X5 (2 of them), 24/7
Tekna: 2AA
Rayovac: 3 in 1 LED/Incandescent, 1 LED
Pelican: M6 LED
Princeton Tec: Impact XL
Glo-Toob
LumaPro: Rechargeable
Nuwai: Q3
ForeSight: 2L, 3D LED/Incandescent
Brinkmann: 2AAA, 2D 4LED, Maxfire
FavourLight: LED, CCFL, Incandescent
Innovage: 20 LED Floodlight
CMG: Infinity, 3AA Reactor
HighGain: 250 (4AA)
Dorcy: 1AA 3LED
I think it's time to get a bigger table!
Kirk

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened

Two on the nightstand:

Streamlight TL-2 LED for bumps in the night

Old-style CMG Infinity 1AA for moving around at night without waking anyone.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

s.duff

Enlightened

in nightstand next to pistol for me

Status
Not open for further replies.