Best AA edc flashlight?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
After now using a fenix E12 for a bit, I love it. However I wonder what is your guys best edc AA flashlight?

3_gun

Enlightened
My old top choices were a Fenix LD10 & then Fenix LD12. Now I find my Fenix E12v2 an EDC only in that it rides in the sheath of my Surge. When I do carry an AA light now it's most often an Olight i5T. For normal EDC I've moved to 18650 or 21700 formats. Needs & use change

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For non modded, probably the new acebeam Rider rx. It's high cri, good output with a 14500 and fidgetable with the body shield and clip acting like a bolt action

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
My favorite is the lumintop tool aa 2.0 nichia, but I rarely use it with aa's since it can also take a 14500. A close second is the sofirn sp10 v3 which also takes 14500/aa. They just released a magnetic tailcap for the sp10 which is a significant improvement and I have one on order.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the Pelican 2350 gen 2.
Gen 1 was 100 lumens with 19k candela. Trouble was you were stuck with hi/strobe/low, which aint all bad.
But gen 2 is 175 lumens, 9k candela and besides factory settings like the gen 1 can be programmed to be hi only or lo/hi.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
After now using a fenix E12 for a bit, I love it. However I wonder what is your guys best edc AA flashlight?
In contrast to your Fenix, the Sofirn SP10 Pro has:

a High CRI LED
Lower lows
Programmable UI allows use of Ramping or stepped modes.
and if you want, it can use LiIon too

The Sofirn is the only AA light with a Ramping UI presently available. (remember the Nitecore D10?)

Msf

Enlightened
Update: just realized my versions of the lights are V3s, not the PROs (thanks Jonathan!). My comments are valid for the V3, but I have no experience with the PRO.
The Sofirn Sp10 Pro (actually V3, not the PRO) is a very nice light, but has a rather significant standby drain issue in my experience with two of them. Put fully charged batteries in them and my experience is the batteries are fully drained within five days. Granted, this may not be representative of all the lights (maybe a bad batch?). And, As Jon said, it has a great U/I and is high CRI. It is probably my favorite under $100 AA light. Just not comfortable with letting them sit any amount of time with the batteries in them. On the plus side, they are easy to keep topped of since they are rechargeable via the included proprietary cable.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For AA with alkaline or NiMH, it's hard to beat a Fenix E12 v.2. If you want to go to lithium ion, for small lights, I think something usb rechargeable like a Nitecore TIP SE, TIP 2, or TINI 2 is smaller and brighter than many 14500 options.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess best size, run time, lumens, candela? I know people have their preferences and lots of folks hate alkaline batteries due to poor performance.
For me best is one that works without failure.
The two I mentioned will be passed down several generations before failing

Import lights are disposable. It is what it is.
I modify import lights so I'm not a hater, but best AA is generally assumed to mean the most reliable short range, conservative output, every day carry.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
For AA with alkaline or NiMH, it's hard to beat a Fenix E12 v.2. If you want to go to lithium ion, for small lights, I think something usb rechargeable like a Nitecore TIP SE, TIP 2, or TINI 2 is smaller and brighter than many 14500 options.
I've always been about duel fuel lights. You aren't always near a charger or have a battery pack near by, I like easily replaceable cells you can find at a store. Just in case I am camping or something.

Banzai310

Newly Enlightened
Hard to beat dual fuel. That's why the Reylight Lan's are my go-to lights. Lithium 3.7v or in a SHTF scenario it will run on 1.5v alkalines and NiMh. Tritium to find it quickly in the dark and tailstand capability.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
e12 is my fav i have the newest version and love it damn near 3 inches and push button simple ui. 23 bucks shiped if i recall

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
My favorite AA format is the ReyLight LAN Ti. I enjoy everything about it, the tint, the low low, the styling, the fact that it can take primaries, eneloops or 14500 cells. And, I'm a sucker for Ti what can I say. The clip is the only lackluster part in my opinion and it is still halfway decent compared to other cheapo clips.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy T3 will be hard to beat if you don't want a USA Merican Made light.
Order the Convoy screw clip with it for an excellent light. Total cost is under $25 and 219b LED. 14500 or AA

The Tool AA clip sucks and is the reason it's a no go.