best aa one cell light for alkilines?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
it would run on them just fine, but using it on High or Turbo may draw more power than they can handle, so stay low.

think of it this way, using what we talked about a couple of days ago, imagine an LED uses 1 Watt to make 200 lumens, you have a 1.5v battery, so you`ll need to draw .66 Amps, an alkaleak would be hard pushed to maintain that, but an Eneloop would enjoy it! LOL

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool info i have a few eneloops 16 of the new 10 year batts and 8 of the blacks. i also have 16 ebl 2800 mahs which aee great for the low cost im not sure about storage

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
the eneloops you can just charge and forget really, the others you`re best just leaving until you need them and charge them up then.

the other thing to remember with the alkaleaks is that they spend most of their working lives at about 1.2 volts, so when you factor that into our calculation you`re looking at even More current being drawn just to produce 1 watt! so you`re better off drawing half that and using 100 Lumens.
But, when you think about it, 100 lumens is still 4x as bright as the flashlights we grew up with, so I guess alkaleaks don`t do Too bad using modern emitters and driver tech, shame they suck for everything else though! LOL

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
DollarTree has a 1xAA flashlight with a 2-inch or so reflector. It throws extremely well even though the output is maybe 15L (probably less). It has a long run time and the contacts are easy to clean if your cell leaks inside it.

Also, even if a cell ruins the flashlight, it only cost you $1.

I keep one next to the bed since the switch doesn't make any noise to activate and it's not bright enough to wake my wife if I turn it on. I've run several half dead cells through it and have been extremely pleased with it (all things considered...an EDC light it is not!).

--flatline

Last edited:

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
Wait are you looking for a flashlight or a battery? If it's battery, go with enloop or ikea which are enloop pros for $10 a pack. To fully drain or finish off an alkaline cell the flashlight wouldn't be able to maintain max output no matter how stable it is if voltage is too low. I recently purchased a Thrunite T10T for collection purposes, and this thing does a great job at pushing out light as long as the cell can support it. On very low to dead and dying batteries was still able to get low mode going.

I too realized how good it is to have something running off AA batteries in case of extended emergencies or power outages. Not going to lie, all my powerful lithium cell flashlights would be depleted after a week if I ran them near peak with no way to juice them up.

I mainly went with thrunite because it was the only economical Titanium AA light that came in neutral white. The lumintop AA tool was brighter off AA, but unavailable in neutral white for the price I wanted to pay. Overall I found both these to perform very well off alkalines and NiMH. They also take 14500 li cells for peak performance which is very nice to have. If you do end up with lumintop, 14500 batteries make this light have a constant on blue tail cap light that would parasitically drain the battery in a week or two.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkalines are risky but work good at low current draw. Some year ago I just out of curiosity tested a fresh alkaline on my SC5W at highest level of ~500lm(slightly less with warm tint). Actually it managed full output for roughly 2 seconds or so, and then started to drop. Within a minute the output was halvened.
In opposite to that 2 alkalines with Malkoff M31LL at ~60lm is stable for around 5 hours, I don't recall exactly.
Alkalines are hated and that has its reason, but still they are a strong contributing factor I get AA lights at all. Even if I have Eneloops or IKEA Ladda(according to tests the same battery) and Lithium primaries the very opportunity to use alkalines is an advantage.