Best "Cigar" shape flashlight with 2xCR123/1x18650

Driver609

Newly Enlightened
So I'd like to find what the best "cigar" flashlight using 2xCR123 is. By which I mean, straight, no big reflectors, not big rings all over it. Something like the Inova X1 (but not the Inova X1, I have one and don't like it!)

Price is not a concern, I would prefer a control ring, ala IFE1/IFE2 type thing, but that is not a dealbreaker, just nice to have if such a thing exists.

What would the combined wisdom of CPF recommend?

You will get lots of opinions here on CPF, especially as you haven't specified what you mean by "best". But for a compact 1x18650 light I like both the Shiningbeam.com "S Mini XP-G" and the Zebralight SC60. They both have their different strengths. Both have a somewhat floody beam. If you want more throw you will need to go to slightly larger lights with bigger reflectors.

Before you buy a "control ring" light, do a bit of research to ensure you will like the UI of the particular light you are considering. I understand some can a bit tricky to get really low levels of illumination, and that the 'ramping' can be a bit non-linear (in terms of perceived brightness).

That is one of the advantages of being a member of CPF, you can get read detailed reviews, and feedback from actual users who have paid their own $$$ to buy their lights.

Last edited:
Take a look at the 4Sevens Quark 123-2 (regular and tactical). Or an EagleTac P20C2 MKII, although it isn't quite as characteristic of a "cigar" as the Quark. Both are very nice lights.

Love the Tiablo A9 for the cigar feel has great throw and if more is needed you can buy the aspheric head for it It uses 1 18650 cell . it's my favorite light for feel in the hand has 2 modes High and low but you can buy there other switch for just 1 mode if you only like one.

Joe

So I'd like to find what the best "cigar" flashlight using 2xCR123 is. By which I mean, straight, no big reflectors, not big rings all over it. Something like the Inova X1 (but not the Inova X1, I have one and don't like it!)

Price is not a concern, I would prefer a control ring, ala IFE1/IFE2 type thing, but that is not a dealbreaker, just nice to have if such a thing exists.

What would the combined wisdom of CPF recommend?

Boy have you hit my favorite. I should have posted this myself! My idea of a perfect looking flashlight is a plain tube with a reflector in the end. I don't want rings and I could care less about knurling. I don't want it to indent in the middle or expand at the end. A shiny titanium pipe with an XM-L and about 500 lumens of flood out the front would be a dream!

The S-Mini with an XM-L and 2 amps on high would be my dream flashlight. Bryan will never drive it that hard but I don't mind short runtime pocket rocket as long as it has a lower mode to go to if I need longer runtime. 2 amp, 1 amp, .25 amps would be superb in my book. I know it will never happen but I can dream.

Despite the fact I would like it driven harder I would recommend the S-Mini as the perfect cigar shaped flashlight if you don't mind the lack of a clip. I would need a clip in a flashlight that size.

Last edited:
I'm very fond of my Quark 18650 body. I use a 123^2 XPE-Q3/5A head with it most often. If you take the clip off it's perfectly cylindrical and a constant diameter down it's entire length. I use mine with a 4Sevens fingerloop on the tail end and a split ring in the tail so I can lanyard carry it if I like. I don't EDC it in my pockets as it's a little too big for that.

Another vote for the S-mini. Especially considering it's price point considering that every other 18650 light that you might consider is twice as expensive.

I've never actually seen one, but I've got 2 L-minis and I'm very pleased with them.

--flatline

Try this light: I got mine a few weeks ago and it's awesome: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-run&highlight=Stainless+1x18650+SST-50+-+run

Stainless 1x18650 SST-50 w/ GID clicky boot

LED: SST-50 6500 W65S-GJ101-G4
LED: SST-50 4500 W45S-GH400-N4
Driver: 3 Mode 2.8A w/ memory
Lens: Saphire Crystal
Battery: 18650 (highly recommend a protected cell)
Material: Stainless
Dimensions: 24mm x 128mm
Weight w/ out Battery: 158 grams/ 5.55 oz
Reverse Clicky Operation
Can tail stand

2690122000048953316S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
How about an HDS Rotary with the 18650 body extension?

I believe there is no such thing. Did you, perhaps, mean the 17670 body (which also doesn't exist yet, but we expect that its coming...)?

--flatline

Last edited:
Try this light: I got mine a few weeks ago and it's awesome: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-run&highlight=Stainless+1x18650+SST-50+-+run

Stainless 1x18650 SST-50 w/ GID clicky boot

LED: SST-50 6500 W65S-GJ101-G4
LED: SST-50 4500 W45S-GH400-N4
Driver: 3 Mode 2.8A w/ memory
Lens: Saphire Crystal
Battery: 18650 (highly recommend a protected cell)
Material: Stainless
Dimensions: 24mm x 128mm
Weight w/ out Battery: 158 grams/ 5.55 oz
Reverse Clicky Operation
Can tail stand

2690122000048953316S600x600Q85.jpg

Mother of God! That is sexy! Are there any beamshots of that bad boy anywhere? Now I have to resubmit my requisition forms to the Minister for Finance to see what she says about me getting more toys.

The s-mini is nice too, exactly what I mean, straight, clean, simple, and a pretty good price too, I think I can stretch to one of those to try it. I really wanted to get a Nitecore IFE2, the control ring would be perfect for what I use a light for, but while it is listed as a 1"diameter, all the knobby bits actually make it a bit bigger, meaning it won't fit in the pocket of my 5.11 pants.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for starting this thread.

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for as well.

I really do not understand all the added rings, knurling, and funky looking stuff that is added to the body of most lights. It makes no sense to me. I mean, seriously, is somebody really going to need knurling and 5 different diameters of various shapes, on such a small flashlight. It's not like lifting an olympic-sized barbell with a couple hundred pounds. Keep it simple, clean, and functional. All the rest is nonsense.

I wonder what kind of light we would see if these manufacturers stopped spending time "designing" body shapes, and spent more time on the essentials - better UI's, better switch placement, etc.

Looking forward to reading all the posts that will follow, in an effort to find the "perfect" light.

You know, if you're already willing to use CR123s or Li-ion cells and you're willing to spend more than the ~$45 for an S-mini, you can get an HDS Clicky starting at $99.

It's true that the body is narrower than the bezel and tailcap, but the HDS lights are true functional works of art. They feel great in the hand whether you use cigar, ice-pick, or traditional grips and they rank at or near the top of the list by almost any meaning of "best" that I can think of (assuming you're willing to use either CR123, RCR123, or 17670 cells (and 2AA coming soon, maybe)).

And, once the high CRI emitters are back in stock, if you feel so inclined, it's pretty much the only way to get a high CRI LED light without performing an emitter swap or buying a custom light.

I really have a hard time recommending any other EDC light once you hit the $99 price point unless you already have one (or have tried one and decided against it for some reason).

--flatline

You know, if you're already willing to use CR123s or Li-ion cells and you're willing to spend more than the ~$45 for an S-mini, you can get an HDS Clicky starting at $99.

It's true that the body is narrower than the bezel and tailcap, but the HDS lights are true functional works of art. They feel great in the hand whether you use cigar, ice-pick, or traditional grips and they rank at or near the top of the list by almost any meaning of "best" that I can think of (assuming you're willing to use either CR123, RCR123, or 17670 cells (and 2AA coming soon, maybe)).

And, once the high CRI emitters are back in stock, if you feel so inclined, it's pretty much the only way to get a high CRI LED light without performing an emitter swap or buying a custom light.

I really have a hard time recommending any other EDC light once you hit the $99 price point unless you already have one (or have tried one and decided against it for some reason).

--flatline

If lumens per dollar is in the selection equation at all the HDS models are eliminated from jump street. I don't care enough about programmability to pay a lot for it. I don't care if a flashlight lasts 20 years because something better will come along a lot sooner. Consider the HDS rotary vs the 120 lumen models. I actually prefer that the manufacturer programs the light for me. Low, medium, high works for me. What I find odd is that every post about HDS is glowing (pun was intended) yet there is no shortage of them in the marketplace. On the other hand I prefer digital watches to expensive Swiss timepieces so what do I know.

My favorite UI is actually the infinite rotary adjustment wheel. This makes the new HDS more attractive to me than the old one but not if I can find a flashlight to my standards (works all the time for at least 3 years) for half the money. I understand WHY the HDS is more expensive but if I can get one that is brighter, cheaper, and backed up by a dealer I trust....( I don't mean that I don't trust HDS. I do trust HDS. I dont trust that companies with no american dealers will promptly service their products)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you can find one, I really like my Fenix PD31. Seems to fit your specs. No output control ring though. Really useful light levels and great runtime. My only complaint about the PD31 was the awful "ringy" beam, but I put diffusion film on it and now I think it's darn near perfect. Someone also suggested the Zebralight SC60 and you won't find a smaller, nicer 1x18650 light. I have the SC60w, and it's one of my favorite EDC's. I have a Nitecore IFE1 which I actually ordered by mistake. I meant to order the IFE2 because it's 1x18650 but had so many things going through my head at the time I ordered the wrong light. That being said, I'm going to get the IFE2 to go with it, because I'm really liking the control ring. It's just a little too easy to move for my taste. Wish it had a little more "resistance", but overall, the Nitecore is a nice light. The output ramping works great on the IFE1 and I'm hoping it works as well on the IFE2. The IFE2 got a pretty favorable review from selfbuilt over in the "reviews" section. I really wish Henry at HDS would make a 18650 tube for my 170t clicky. I have the 17670 tube and use it almost exclusively, but you just can't beat the runtimes you get with an 18650 in lights that will take them! 18650 is my favorite cell for my flashlights. I'll post my thoughts when I get the IFE2. Like I said earlier though, if you can find a PD31, I think you would like it.