Best Keychain Flashlight under $35

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Tank007 AAA light, but only after I fixed the switch problem. It is true that if you don't like to tinker don't go DX with one possible exception is Romisen lights.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Choosing a light on price alone is almost never going to get you what you want/need.

Well i am aware of this but someone already recommened me the ITP A3 EOS, which is why i like it at that price. My requirements are small enough to fit in my pocket for everyday use while at work. So AAA is the right size for me or smaller. I don't know if there are any AA models that are good but if they were small enough i might even go for one of those. But my 2 biggest hurdles are size and price. I really was hoping to keep it at $35 , maybe even that price shipped if possible.

Still not set on anything yet :\

This is one i have now.

http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/sphw3aaa-bx.shtml

And its a little too big to carry around all day at work. Its okay bright, but obviously i wish i had more

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Okay i think i made my decision. I like the smaller size of the CR123A flashlights so i want this one.

The ITP A1 using 1x CR123A battery -EDIT : I bought this one with 2 of the Rayovac Lithium cells to start me off - Still need a set of rechargeable batteries and charger !

http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-a1-flashlight.html

Now my next question is. What is the best rechargeable batteries i can get for this? I can probably only afford a 2 pack and i am not sure what chargers are the best. Are slow trickle chargers better for life?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Not to be impatient or anything but i made a new thread for my battery decision since i figure the proper people will be able to see it better if they lurk on this side of the forum more often. I already made my purchase so i need a new thread for a new purchase!

Anyone who has input is greatly appreciated! I am still learning about CR123s and would like any advice.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3190824#post3190824

901-Memphis

Enlightened

Geode

Enlightened
Get an Illuminati Q5 XP-E from Battery Junction (around $40 with discount coupon). It's a pretty babe and probably the best AAA keychain light up today.

Hi all - just ordered one of these and can't see how you can go wrong, based on the description.

LightCannon

Enlightened
Not to be impatient or anything but i made a new thread for my battery decision since i figure the proper people will be able to see it better if they lurk on this side of the forum more often. I already made my purchase so i need a new thread for a new purchase!

Anyone who has input is greatly appreciated! I am still learning about CR123s and would like any advice.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3190824#post3190824

The best CR123A batteries come from AW. They come in two flavors: Red Labels (IMR batteries, whose different chemistry gives it reduced capacity, but gobs of power out the front.) and the Black Labels (Your average-joe lithium-ion batteries.)

These are expensive, however. In fact, I think getting enough to feed your light (which, in my book, constitutes of at least two refills ready to go, in addition to whatever's in the light) will cost more than the light itself.

If you need a cheaper alternative, you can get the Ultrafire protected RCR123A batteries off of DX. As for a charger:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

I personally own one, and it's been holding up pretty well (no fires yet!)

Don' charge primary cells. Please!!!!!!!

Although, in my opinion, having to get a whole new set of stuff just for one light is kinda overkill. Even the A2, would have been a better choice.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
The best CR123A batteries come from AW. They come in two flavors: Red Labels (IMR batteries, whose different chemistry gives it reduced capacity, but gobs of power out the front.) and the Black Labels (Your average-joe lithium-ion batteries.)

These are expensive, however. In fact, I think getting enough to feed your light (which, in my book, constitutes of at least two refills ready to go, in addition to whatever's in the light) will cost more than the light itself.

If you need a cheaper alternative, you can get the Ultrafire protected RCR123A batteries off of DX. As for a charger:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

I personally own one, and it's been holding up pretty well (no fires yet!)

Don' charge primary cells. Please!!!!!!!

Although, in my opinion, having to get a whole new set of stuff just for one light is kinda overkill. Even the A2, would have been a better choice.

Thats one of the chargers i found i liked but a much better price here.

Also if i get a good charger and some batteries i can buy another CR123A flashlight down the road.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
that Illuminati Q5-XP-E looks exactly like what I've been looking for, if it is regualated.

is the battery life regulated?

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
ordered a maratac aaa!

if they only had these lights with a clicky, even if that made them a tad bigger - that would be perfect.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Also if i get a good charger and some batteries i can buy another CR123A flashlight down the road.
And so it begins I think cost concerns are going out the window now. you need to get a new light because you have extra batteries and then you will need more batteries because you have a new light ect...
lovecpf:poke:
C

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a new Energizer LED light I really like because it has a clicky switch, bright, lots of flood, metal case, 3 modes, and on $8 at Best Buy. It has some nice weight to it. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Energiz...ci_sku=9223663&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218103743519

I have the UK version,completely different shape and press only to light but will tell you it is by far brighter than any other key chain light I have and very well made,if only it had the modes your version had would make it an edc rather just part of my collection.They retail in the UK for the £6 mark give or take a few bob either way but we have a local discounter who is banging them out at £3.99 each at the moment,have bought a few for extra little xmas stocking fillers.

Pointoflight

Newly Enlightened
Greetings to all. I'm new to the flashlight addiction. Always had this unexplainable interest about flashlights and knives....Always loved getting flashlights that I didn't need. What I didn't know is what a good flashlight was vs. a great flashlight until recently. My wife doesn't understand my obsession and really how can you explain it and have it make sense? It really doesn't.

So far my little collection of mentionable lights:

Fenix TK 15 - The only light I have over $35.00. It's a great light. 335 lumens max. However, it does have that "donut" hole in the center of the beam that people speak of.
Fenix E11 - Awesome little light. Little too big for a keychain unless you are one of those folks that likes larger items on their keychains (I know a few). It puts out really great light for it's size. It's rated at 105 lumens max. Light enough to put on a lanyard and hang around your neck or easily carried in a pocket. It's about the size of a roll of Mentos. Has a low/hi setting.
Fenix E21 - 154 lumens max. Sells currently for $34.95. This light is incredible. Puts out an incredible amount of light on the high mode. No donut hole and so far this is my favorite light.
Fenix E05 - This I would say is the best keychain light for the money. This is the first light I bought to replace a little flat squeeze type light I had on my keychain that kept getting turned on in my pocket. My fascination with higher quality lights started with the E05. Since I was so impressed with Fenix, I bought more Fenix lights and have not been dissapointed. The one I have is rated at 27 lumens max. I have seen a new one that is rated at 30 lumens max. I paid $19.00 for mine on Ebay. The E01 sells for like $12.00 and is rated at 10 lumens so for a few extra dollars you can almost triple the lumen output. It's a great little light. Small (2.5 inches), light, and puts out a nice diffused light. More than enough light when you find yourself in an unexpected dark situation that requires some light. There are smaller keychain lights you can get like the popular Streamlight Nano (10 Lumens) and you can get for as little as $6.00 but those shorter keychain lights use button batteries which are always not easy to find and in my experience go bad if left in the device too long. I can see the nano making a great back up light like on a jacket or backpack zipper pull.

Illuminati - CA1-AL - Recently bought this light to replace my E05 as I read how great this light was and that it was rated at 115 Lumens! I thought, wow, a light a millimeter or two longer (2.66 inches) than the E05 that puts out 115 lumens, this is incredible! This light, while nice, was kind of a disappointment. I tested it new, out of the box, with the included lithium battery and there is no way that this light puts out 115 lumens. It is not even close to being as bright as the Fenix E11 which is rated at 105 lumens. There are some advantages that this light has over the E05 in that it has 3 modes (low 3 lumens, med 30 lumens, and high supposedly 115 lumens). While the medium mode does appear to be around 30 lumens (compared it side by side to my E05 which is rated at 27 lumens), there is no way the high was 115 lumens when compared side by side with the E11. It is noticeably brighter than the E05 on the high setting, but I am sure that it is not putting out 115 lumens when compared to the 105 rated E11. Though I don't have a light meter, my best guess is that it puts out 70-80 lumens max. I wish I had not bought it and instead used that money towards another Fenix light. I am very impressed with Fenix as far as what you get for the money. My next light and probably my last for a while is going to be the Fenix TK35 which is rated at 820 lumens and can be had for $85.00 on Ebay shipping included.

In conclusion, I think the best under $35.00 light is the Fenix E21. For portability, it's the E11, and for Keychain carry, the Fenix E05 is the best for the money.

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
I like the Photon microlights. I keep them everywhere. Lots of beam color choices. Nice little lights for $10

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the itpa3 upgraded version. 20 bucks from Amazon and 3 mode 96 lumen. Can't go wrong great light

Pointoflight

Newly Enlightened
Slowly learning. After reconsideration I have to agree that in the 20.00 range the itp a3 is the best value. 3 modes instead of fenix e05s 1 mode for same price. I have heard it will take a 10440 safely.