Best Keychain Flashlight under $35

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Freedom, best keychain light if weight and volume are significant concerns.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i put a itp a3 on my sisters keys. it quit after about a year.
had a photon freedom on my keys for about a week, and it started acting strange. flaky switch.
fenix E01 and E05 are still working.

i like the E01 most, good runtimes, and proven durability. ugly beam and tint though hehe

fla5hgordon

Newly Enlightened
IMHO, the best all around keychain light is the tiny but powerful Streamlight Nano. I carry one around my neck on a chain 24/7 and also have one on my keychain that's been there for a few years. Both work super and the batteries last longer than you would think with normal use. For $7 and change you can't lose.:hitit:

I have used these two little lights more than any flashlight I own and I have many.:D

100% agree!! A fantastic piece of kit!

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Fenix E05 and the itp A3. Personally, I like the A3 more as it gives more lumens when needed. Yes, it can take 10440 and it is BRIGHT but it gets hot very fast.

AaronG

Enlightened
+1 for the E05. I carry one on my keys and I've gifted three more. I have brighter more expensive lights but the E05 is the most used ;) Nice directional flood and it comes on in at a reasonable level. Plus it works well on alkalines when gifted.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, some notes from my experience in hundreds of button cell lights and a few dozen AAA/AA lights. Most of the recipients are not flashaholics and have no interest. They use their lights, not play with them.... :)

The lowest-cost button cell lights available from just about everyone for <$1: I purchased only those that click on and then click off. No press & hold with a switch to keep it on - unacceptable and later the switch is unreliable. I have had a lot of problems with old cells, sometimes dead upon receipt, mostly about 1/2 dead. yuck. I purchased 100s of these. I no longer purchase these.

The Photon Freedom compared with the Photon X-Light: The Photon Freedom is much more difficult to depress the switch with a very weak tactile feel. The X-Light is relatively easy to find the switch and to depress it with a very perceptible tactile feel to the click. In cold weather that makes a major difference. I have not had problems with either light in my pockets,. I like the covert nose for the Freedom and the many colors! For 2x2016 cell replacement, the X-Light is super easy to open and close. The Photon Freedom is difficult to open and questionable to close. I ruined at least one cover by mashing it when it did not fit. I purchased a couple hundred of the X-Lights with no complaints from nurses, RAs, and one doctor, etc. They like the ramping (which is common to the Freedom as well) and easy click for on or off. I purchase 2016 cells a hundred at a time to drop the cell price and provide at least 4x 2016 cells with the light.

The eGear Pico using 4x LR41 cells is bright, ~10 lumens, but the cells are kinda low capacity. Easy to use though with a twist on and twist off. I purchase the LR41 cells on the internet for < $0.30 each so the price of use is not high. The key advantage is size. My older granddaughter runs around a lot with hers.... :)

The Streamlight Nano also uses 4x LR41 cells, also ~10 lumens. However the twisty head portion is far too long to easily twist. nope. The Pico light is more usable.

I have not been tempted by the Fenix E01 because of only 10 lumens in an AAA format and the beam color.

The Fenix E05 is OK, but suffers from a bit of production variability in beam color and brightness.

The Fenix LD01 is good. and accepts the 10440 as well. just do not leave it on high too long!

The Fenix LD15 is great for a single AA light. Only 2 levels and the intial turn-on is on high! I found out later that the initial turn-on of high is important to most recipients.

In any case, if an AAA or AA light does not tailstand, I will not purchase it.

Last edited: