Best Thrower for a relateively mature collection.. <$200

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just received my high CRI XP-G armytek predator a couple days ago.
and so far i like it more than my catapult v1 with XM-L.

the predator's throw keeps up with the catapult quite well. overall lumens is less, but when lighting for distance, hotspot is all that matters. while still being able to pocket carry it, and it came with a nice holster.
the matte finish feels really nice on it, and its programmable.
the predator in terms of throw beats out my E2DL, quark AA turbo, and jetbeam M III easily.
it has the most narrow spill of any of my lights. 24 degrees. and has a bright corona around the hotspot.

the hound dog with its larger head would probably still throw better, but not as easy to slip into your pocket.

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Anyone see that new Scorpion in selfbuilt's review for sale anywhere? the one with the turbo head. that thing looks like a beast from those beamshots. I dont know if i like that tail though it looks flimsy to me and possibly difficult to turn with gloves on.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone see that new Scorpion in selfbuilt's review for sale anywhere? the one with the turbo head. that thing looks like a beast from those beamshots. I dont know if i like that tail though it looks flimsy to me and possibly difficult to turn with gloves on.

The last line of Selfbuilt's review posted on June 8th says, "My understanding is that this new version will begin shipping any day now, but please check with Thrunite for updates."

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Ahh, they have a sales thread over on the MP and batteryjunction is shipping them. They are selling neutrals with the turbo head for 178. Thats a bit steep at the moment. I need to sell some things.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just received my high CRI XP-G armytek predator a couple days ago.
and so far i like it more than my catapult v1 with XM-L.
the predator's throw keeps up with the catapult quite well.

A catapult V1 does not have an XML. A Catapult V3 with XML has WAY more throw than an ArmyTek. The ArmyTek is a small single 18650 thrower and it does have great throw for a light that size.. The Catapult V3 is a large multi 18650 thrower with a 2.5" diameter head. I assume you must be comparing to an old Catapult because an ArmyTek predator can does come close the the throw of the new Catapult V3 XML.

g.p.

Enlightened
Another thing I failed to mention is that I would like this thrower to be able to reside in say, a cargo pocket or on a holster that comes with the light for camping purposes.
That changes things a lot. A good thrower absolutely needs a large reflector, especially with the new larger XML LED's. Anything that fits in a holster (single 18650, or P60 sized) will never come close to a serious dedicated thrower like the Masterpiece Pro 1, Catapult, or TK40.

I think if you ever tried a dedicated thrower you would change your mind about the size and decide that you NEED one in your collection. My wife and sister-in-law thought that my flashlight collection was lame until they saw the Masterpiece and TK40 in action. The sister-in-law asked me to build her light after seeing those!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just gonna give my personal opinion, and that is to not go overboard on a "thrower". Get a nice one that can go pretty far and fits in your pocket or coat pocket.

Unless you are out on the ocean or something, most places don't have enough distance to need a huge throw. I live near some cow pastures, and all I need is about 250 yds of throw. Most of my neighbors and friends don't even have 250 yds of open space to use the throw of my HD XPG. And beyond 250 yds, unless you have a pretty big target, or some binoculars, you can't see much detail beyond 250yds with the naked eye anyway.

I think these huge dedicated throwers are VERY cool for impressing friends and putting them back in the closet. That's about all they are good for, unless you have VERY specific needs. And even then, they are too tight-beamed to be of much use at closer ranges.

Get a good quality light that has good throw like a Malkoff HD, and it will serve well, last long, be well-built and reliable, and fit the quality of your collection.

If you are looking for an occasional "wow factor" to impress somebody with throw, then get an aspheric from LambdaLights for a 250 bucks, de-domed and heat-sinked with 100k lux that will transmit the shape of your LED for further than you can probably find a place to shine it.

I would put my real money into a good floodlight like a Malkoff Wildcat. Much more useful item.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think these huge dedicated throwers are VERY cool for impressing friends and putting them back in the closet. That's about all they are good for, unless you have VERY specific needs. And even then, they are too tight-beamed to be of much use at closer ranges.

I'm going to disagree with you here. I have a number of these huge throwers and none of them are too tight-beamed to be useless at close ranges. The EagleTac M3C4 XML, TK41, Lambdalights 3C XML, VaraPower 2000, Catapult V3 XML all have as much usefull spill (or more) as my Malkoff M61w or Zebralight SC60w AND they have a massive intense hotspot with massive throw too. Understand, I live in an area where we have 5 houses on 75 acres so I need the throw and I could use more. All of my reflector based thorwers have very usefull spill to see at close range. They can also be turned down to a lower brightness level if needed.

The thrower lights that do not have usefull spill are generally "older" XRE based throwers (like the Solarforce Masterpeice Pro1). The new XML based throwers have plenty of spill with better throw to boot.

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
This is all good discussion and I think its nice to hear different opinions on these types of things. The only reason I mentioned before that I wanted to be able to carry it is if we are say camping and go for a hike. Ill likely have a hat light, L4 maybe, an Md2/3 with the M91 in it, a backup MD2 in a pocket, and then Id like to have something that can go out and reach far away if we feel the need to spot something. It would be more of a luxury if anything because honestly I don't "need" any of my lights. I like having them as a peace of mind thing but its not like I am out hunting varmits or looking for bad guys. I just have alot of lights and not one of them throws all that well. I also have a couple of Mags, 2c and a 4d that I had thought about getting a Malkoff dropin for but I think id like to stick with the 18650ish route.
I watched the going gear video on the new catapult. I have to say Im just not that impressed with the light itself. It looks to be kind of, I dont know, not well thought out. The whole thing with putting the extender in the right spot and making sure you dont twist that part instead of the head. I hate lights with learning curves that are only there because it just doesnt seem intuitive or well designed in the first place. That scorpion xml looks impressive but seems to suffer from the same unnecessary complexity and lack of practicality. The Hounddog is looking better and better. But I need to save the funds anyways so keep up the comments fellas.

Also of note, I just realized that the Malkoff Tailcaps that come standard now on the Md2/Md3/Md4 bodies also fit surefire flashlights just perfectly. They allow for tailstanding and have mcclickys in them, all for 25 bucks. Not bad.

g.p.

Enlightened
The thrower lights that do not have usefull spill are generally "older" XRE based throwers (like the Solarforce Masterpeice Pro1). The new XML based throwers have plenty of spill with better throw to boot.
+1

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think anybody has compared the Hound Dog and "big throwers" directly yet. The Hound dog is a good thrower when looked at amonglst small single 18650 throwers (like the Maelstrom G5, etc). It has nowhere near the throw of an EagleTac M3C4 XML or Catapult V3 and of course the king in my collection (and most likely the undisputed XML thrower king) is still my Lambda lights 3CXML which has very bright usable spill in addition to massive throw. I feel blind in an open area without a large thrower.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
It sounds like you're comparing the old Houng Dog XP-G to the Eagletac and the Catapult, and not the Hound Dog XM-L.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, he's right.
The Hound Dog XM-L doesn't throw further than the Hound Dog XP-G.
It's just that the HD XM-L has wider beam and throws just as far, and that's how it uses its extra lumens from the XM-L.
The 1.8" head size is the same in both versions.

The HD in either emitter is good for about 250 yards throw, realistically. It's a good thrower, and a handy size, and great quality, but it is not going to be in the category of the super-throwers. It has about 20k lux.
I would call it a real "carryable"(in cargo pants or a coat pocket or a belt holster), throwy(but not ultimate throw), perfect beam-quality and near perfect build quality, personal light.

There are any number of other lights which will out-throw the HD, but none that I know of which will match in in build and beam quality. I might be biased, but I think Malkoff build and beam is the best in the business.
So for me, it's the thrower that I want, because it throws far enough for me, and it meets my demands for quality.

Last edited: